Review Highlights
Superb and moving

I'm not a big fan of war museums but this is a superb example of how best to commemorate the... read more

Reviewed today
tryanythingonce
Cambridge, United Kingdom
A must see

Exceptional architecture, content and staff. A very impactful set of items and stories that... read more

Reviewed today
Acowan23

Recommended experiences in and around Stretford
from $31.91
from $24.07
from $24.07
2,718 results
All reviews salford quays main exhibition media city twin towers world trade big picture show film shows modern building interesting displays free admission thought provoking worth a visit guide book all ages on display couple of hours few hours
Selected filters
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Set by the water opposite Salfird Quays is the Imperial War Museum. Very easy access if you park at the Lowry and walk over the bridge - great photo opportunity -
The museum has a good shop,cafe and areas where they have craft activities for children. We took grandchildren ranging from 3 - 12. The general walk around part of the museum,didn't really keep their attention. However,the staff 'manning' some of the exhibits gave 5 min talks around the building,those talks were well received and enjoyed. Well worth a trip up to the top if the tower ( for a small charge)

Date of experience: April 2013
3  Thank Annie52
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Excellent museum with lots of interesting exhibits - particularly enjoyed the current WW1 exhibition and the "big screen" shows which engaged all.

1  Thank OpenAirFreedom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

What a fabulous place to learn some of the history of ours battles and wars, I was particularly pleased with the representation on Women and Animals in the war effort as this is sometimes overlooked, we sat in 2 talks the one about a women training for the resistance and being deployed and then the animal talk telling us about different hero animals which we all found very interesting and informative which I am sure as both my girls even though they are 5years apart in age are doing War as a subject as school will use the information they gained at IWM.

I have read some of the negative reviews on here and to say I am surprised is an understatement its FREE to enter really what more do you want for free, I can understand if someone is a war buff then this may not fulfil much for you but as a family we know some of the history but after being here we now know much more, I have to agree with the cost of things inside this attraction the gift shop is very very overprices I understand that the profits go back into funding the Museum but as a family that visit a lot of attractions a year I think they would be better served by selling more at a lower price than less at a higher price, There are lots of donation hubs throughout the Museum which we very willingly out money into as I would think most families would do and shown but the amount in all of them.
We did not go in the cafe, but were very pleased to use the dining area to eat our packed lunch.

So worth a visit plus Media City or Lowry Outlet within 5 mins walk

1  Thank Kickassgirl5
Reviewed February 23, 2014

War is a difficult subject to educate one's children about. This museum does it so well. The right balance of serious exhibition material and interactive things for children.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

It tells the story of war and conflict from all view points by small exhibits and audio visual presentation.This is rather more thoughtful than museums with lots of exhibits where you can get impressed by the exhibit and lose the fact that it was designed to kill. There were lots of children, from the very young, so I would be interested to see what they and their parents thought about it.