“Fabulously dog friendly”

Ranked #1 of 1 Tyn-y-Groes B&B and Inns
Stone, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulously dog friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked in here because the hotel and pub are dog friendly.
The staff were welcoming, and the rooms were nice. I have stayed twice - once in an ordinary double which was comfortable and clean, and once in a terrace room which was lovely. Both rooms had big beds, modern decor, great baths and showers, and nice touches like Molton Brown toiletries.
The pub doggy area inside has a slate floor, and a big fireplace. The food was good - I had seafood chowder twice and it was delicious.
The Welsh lager is good and breakfast is delicious and generous.
It's in a lovely spot just above Conwy.
I've stayed by myself (and the dog) and with my partner (and the dog).

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms with a balcony / terrace are lovely
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Dorset UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The best assest this place has are the staff, all we encountered were friendly and professional, i am not so sure about those behind the scenes. We stayed one night in a balcony room, checkin was quick and efficient. Our room was a fairly good size, felt a little cramped because a huge area was taken up by the over sized bathroom which could easily have accommodated a seperate shower instead of an over the bath job. The bath sides were very high, mid thigh on me, making it uncomfortable to get in and out of. The arm chairs looked a bit grubby the bed felt lumpy but was very comfortable. The duvet was a felted lump of polyester. Later we became very aware of other rooms plumbing both flushing and showering! We ordered a bottle of wine from the list provided, rapidly delivered and very nice, sat in the arm chairs with French doors open enjoying the fantastic view of surrounding hills.
We had booked a table for dinner and were initially shown to a very small table with a walkway behind it, I pointed out a slightly larger empty table at one side of the room and we sat there. Strange as other couples were sat at nicely placed large tables on their own.
We were expecting good things from the food and the starters were fine, my husbands main of steak was good but my main was a disaster, I had ordered, from the specials menu, roast shoulder of lamb with a rosemary and garlic jus with whole mustard mash. What arrived was lamb but smothered in a mint gloop, it looked and tasted as if a jar of mint jelly had been stirred into some gravy, I never order lamb and mint, I didn't want lamb and mint. The mash was plain.
The first waiter I raised this with was flustered the waitress who followed was apologetic and after consulting with the kitchen offered me another meal, but by this time my husband had nearly finished and I hated the idea of waiting and then being all out of step, not what a romantic dinner is supposed to be about, so I scraped off the gloop and ate. The lamb was tasty. Dessert was uneventful if expensive for what they were.
At least two staff members made a point of saying we wouldn't be charged for my main course so at least that was dealt with in a professional way.
Luckily I have a sense of humour as breakfast was a farce in its own right. I ordered a full breakfast all the usuals but no baked beans or fried bread. First plate, with baked beans no sausage or black pudding. Second plate no baked beans sausage or black pudding. Third plate as ordered!
Coffee was weak, toast brown but a bit sweaty not crisp as if it had been cooked and stacked up. On the way back to our room we met the couple from the room below ours, they had just reported water coming in through their ceiling and wondered if a bath or basin was overflowing, er no, we had both showered and had noticed a little water on the floor so mopped with a towel, as one does, but as there are a couple of long cracks across several floor tiles not sure how much had escaped.
Just to finish up as we were packing a couple of people let themselves into our room, thought it was empty. Receptionist did apologise.
This place has a lot going for it but given the issues I don't think it represents value for money, we had expected much more. Attention to detail descriptions on menus and improving the quality of things like duvets and cleaning upholstery would make a big difference.
Some of the food is very good, the staff we dealt with were all lovely but overall its a shame we had intended to return for a longer stay to explore the area properly, now I am not so sure.

Room Tip: Rooms at back quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsZ
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We actually visited this hotel only for a brief few days last year, and we rented the High Cabin room out in the middle of nowhere, which was perfect. The location is a total secret until you reach the hotel, where you are given a treasure map to your location, not far from the hotel, but with beautiful views, fantastic room and snug warm living area with heated bathroom floor, and 1 class goodies to treat yourself to! This cabin is total luxury and an absolute MUST if your seeking a romantic getaway for 2! The surrounding area is amazing, but be ready to travel through very narrow roads and lots of testing areas for your car breaks! It's just perfect for hiking about, or just relaxing in your cabin, which is what we did. It rained all the time we was there, but we did not care, it was lovely anyway.

All staff was so friendly, and very accommodating, they stayed up late to wait for us as we got lost and arrived late, and they were still smiles and kindness on arrival and even helped us over the phone to find the cabin as we was in the dark, I don't recommend trying to find the cabin in the dark!

Room Tip: Go all out and book one of the cabin rooms with hot tubs, you will not regret it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura T
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Groes Inn in August on a DBB rate with our dog. The room we were given was large, well equipped and comfortable. We found the staff very friendly and approachable during our stay. I did think that some of the dishes on the menu were expensive for what they were but as dinner was included we didn't need to worry too much about this. However, the breakfast was fantastic and we particularly enjoyed our meals from the special boards on the second evening!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We weren't planning this break but when we saw an offer on the internet, we decided to visit with our dog. The room was very spacious and clean. Nice touch was the complimentary bottled water. The staff were warm and friendly. The food was excellent. We intend to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Whilst staying in self-catering accommodation near the Groes Inn we stumbled across the Inn for dinner one night - the first was so good we visited again during our week in north Wales. On both occasions the food was excellent, staff were exceptional and the environment of the bar where we ate was lovely. The food choice is good with a standard menu plus specials and all food was well cooked and well presented. The staff were accommodating of a range of guests including small children. A lovely discovery that helped make our holiday so memorable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Our evening in the restaurant was a thank you gift from a good friend. We were slightly anxious due to some negative reviews written the day before our visit (these have now disappeared..). We were greeted very warmly and immediately felt welcome. The menu choice was good, although we felt both starters were over priced for what they were. The actual product didn't fulfil the expectations created by the menu description. However, the main courses were very flavoursome and filling. As it was a treat, we each had dessert. We had a minor complaint which I don't wish to share online, however, I feel that the way in which it was dismissed did not reflect the level of customer experience the Groes Inn is trying to portray. I would also like to say that we've had meals that have cost a similar amount which have been absolutely faultless. Would we go back again??....

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyn-y-Groes
Castle Hotel
Tir y Coed Country House
Waterloo Hotel
Waterloo Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Groes Inn? Share your experiences!