“Good but penny pinching”
Review of Groes Inn

Groes Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Tyn-y-Groes B&B and Inns
“Good but penny pinching”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We had a good stay, 14 middle aged golfers wanting a pleasant weekend and good food. The good was generally very good, as was the service, but we had a bitter taste on departure when items that should have been included were charged extra. Not a lot of money but when we had spent a great deal it did leave a bad taste.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Joebartez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Aviemore, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We all had shared twin rooms which worked OK for value. Food was good, bar service was good, waitress service was exceptional and the general atmosphere was warm with a good buzz. The general location is pleasant Overall it was an enjoyable three day stay. I recommend the Groes Smokie as a starter as well as the devilled kidneys.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
England
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Rang the Groes last week to see if they could explain some of their "special breaks" and whether I could have a room away from the road, as I am a light sleeper. Was told someone would ring me back as these two enquiries seemed beyond the receptionist. Still waiting............

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ReviewMaestro
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Can I first star by saying that the staff were good and the overall service was fine indeed - however my real issue is about value for money and expectations. When your paying 150.00 plus GBP per night for a standard room in what in effect is an Inn with rooms your expectations are quite high. At these country house prices they should sweat the small stuff a great deal more!

Welcome, outside areas, rooming, breakfast and general small touches are missing = s hame really - if they invest back into the business and its strong brand they could do so much more. signs everywhere about awards in 2009 and red rosettes in yester years hold no SWAY with the NOW! Will go back but not at that price. Please change your flags outside also! Threadbare and POOR!

Room Tip: Stay with a view and love to try cabin in future
yorkshire
Reviewed September 18, 2012

stayed 2 nights
i think my title sums everything about this place
check inn very good shown to our room by mandy who throughout our stay was alaways available and hands on in virtually every aspect of the operation
the room (a superior) was fabulous huge bed furnished patio/super bath /shower with instant and high pressure hot water many nice touches like the bath robes which were most comfatable
the food although expensive was superb hot/fresh/plenty on the plate could not finish either night
breakfast traditional not the usual buffet anything you wanted £5 surcharge for the smoked salmon and scrabled egg as a previous review
said was a little ott the service for all meals was exellent with friendly faces and big smiles could not be better
it is expensive (but the word overpriced tends to suggest dissatisfaction)
on the contrary we were entirley satisfied and apart from the surcharges on the breakfast menu we could not fault the groes inn
highly recommended
straw bear

Room Tip: try for a balcony of patio room especially in summer where you can appreciate the lovely view for lo...
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Staye at the groes Inn for one night was pleased with the room offered, it was a standard double quite large and the bathroom also was a decent size. There was plenty of hot water when I had a shower and lots of shelf space for putting out my toiletries, the toiletries supplied by the inn were first class quality my only complaint was that the carton containg the shower cap was empty so lucky I had my own.

Had a meal in the bar in the evening which was not as good as I had expected I had a chicken curry which was ok but the pieces of chicken were very large and somewhat dry, my husband had gammon and egg and was asked if he would like another egg which cost an extra 50p which I think was a little overpriced when you are able to buy a doz for£1.50 (free range). The staff were very helpful and I would consider staying there again if in the area

1 Thank MrsMannering
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked late and were booked into room 10 Deluxe Double with private Terrace. When we arrived reception had us booked into room 4 but quickly changed it when I asked her to confirm it was the room as described on our booking.
Room 10 is a lovely, large modern room and Bathroom decorated in tones of cream and taupe......however, at the time of our visit every time people in the room above us ran the shower or flushed the loo it sounded like a steam train running through the room. The proprietor seemed most surprised when I mentioned it after checking out, claiming no-one had ever complained before.
We went to the bar for a quick drink on arrival as I needed to use the Internet and it is ONLY available in the pub and NOT available in the rooms!!! Most surprising given the quality of fittings in the room. Whilst enjoying our drink we were asked if we were ready to order our evening meal. We declined and advised we were booked in for 8pm and it was oly 6.30 pm. We had just arrived after a long journey and hadn't had chance to shower or change. We were approached twice more by the same waitress and began to feel a little hassled so returned to our room.
We had Pre-booked a table for two in the dining room when placing our booking, which the website says has an a-la-carte menu!!....The only thing that was a-la-carte was the linen table cloths and napkins. We were firstly crammed to a tiny table for two which was jammed against a table of 7 and we could barely hear ourselves speak. On first asking were told we couldn't move to another empty table, and at second asking when I pointed out we had prebooked and therefore did not expect the worst table in the room, we were allowed to move....the previous table remained unoccupied throughout our meal!!
The bread rolls were already on the table before we were seated (and on all unoccupied tables). They were disgusting dry/stale rolls best suited to sandwich baps and certainly NOT a dining table. When we asked if they should be warmed, we were told no but they are fresh. I heard a lady on another table saying to her husband that she thought they were stale after I had raised this with a gentleman serving our wine.
I noticed that the same rolls were served at breakfast if you asked for a roll....and it became clear why we're felt cramped in the dining room at the first table...they had converted at table for 4 to a table seating 7.......they should have simply not used the cramped table for two alongside.

The menu was NOT a-la-carte....I have never before seen burger and chips and sausage and mash served as they were presented on an a-la-carte menu. Much more suited to bar food !! I ordered Groes Smokie which was lovely but certainly didn't have a crisp Parmesan topping...it was more like soggy breadcrumbs. My husband and I both ordered the same meal from the Specials "welsh rump of lamb served with creamy mash and vegetables". The lamb was lovely and well cooked, however, the vegetables were a mix of broccoli, green beans, carrots and cauliflower, which would have been fine, except my plate had two green beans no cauliflower and was all broccoli and Chantenay carrots which were gritty when bitten (I had to cut the tops off as they were definately gritty). The plate was simply swimming with gravy/jus making the mash sloppy in consistency. My husband did not have a starter intending to have the apple and calvados crumble with custard. We were presented with the desert menu....and sat waiting for 15 minutes!!...... Still no service....the wine was finished....still we waited...eventually we got up and left. The waiter seemed a bit surprised as we walked past.
At breakfast at 9am we were told we could not sit in the conservatory as only tables in the dining room remained set...fair enough....but then whilst we were waiting for our breakfast the proprietor came and moved a setting for another guest...imagine how we felt.....rubbish customer service and only one waitress on duty. The food was acceptable although the toast was barely warm.
This Inn is highly rated but in my opinion overrated. The food is best described as reasonable pub food and not at all a-la-carte, and is thus overpriced for what it is.....another review mentions extra costs for a latte or cappuccino...and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs at breakfast...as well as a £20 min charge on food in the dining room. Definately more than cheeky given the rubbish service.
Would we go back?... Maybe for a pub lunch but not for a stay or for a meal in the dining room.
All I can say is the guys from Evo Magazine like the setting forntheir performance cars, and the Inn tries to capitalise on that reputation but does not do it very well. An overpriced overrated tourist trap to be honest.

Room Tip: Deluxe room no 10.. lovely.....but ask if the plumbing situation is resolved (noisy like a steam tr...
1 Thank Sue G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyn-y-Groes
Castle Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Groes Inn? Share your experiences!