“Fabulous food and service!”

The Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Llandysilio B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here with my mum in May. The service and welcome from the staff was wonderful and nothing was any trouble. Karen is a fantastic cook and will go out of her way to make sure that you are happy. The live music in the bar was an added bonus. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: The cottages are really good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Rob C, Owner at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments. we strive to look after all our guests but we know our efforts are really appreciated when we receive a review like this.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Walking the Offa's Dyke path my husband myself and pet dog decide to stay at the Golden Lion with the path passing in front of the front door.Having seen a couple of comments on here they did not put us off. From the moment we arrived we knew we made the right choice.From our small cottage style converted stable.Which was great for the dog with her own front door leading to a tidy size court yard which was secure and had parking for the car.On entering the main building it was olde worlde full of character interior. The smell of home cooking and friendly locals.Owners Rob and Karen could not have been more welcoming .The food was lovely and there was a good choice on the menu.Breakfast was lovely and well presented .Dog was not allowed in the restaurant .My advice is to ask if you can take the dog in the bar.There is a love of live music in this bar and on many nights you can catch something.blues and Jazz were the ones we caught.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank welshwalker46

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do welcome dogs but they are not allowed in any restaurant. You are welcome to bring them into the bar ( please ask first as we have a dog ourselves) and eat in there where the same home cooked menu is available. We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

As a group of 5 walkers we were booked into this B&B, after a long day of walking we arrived for Mrs Williams to tell us incorrectly that we canceled our booking with her. We did not cancel the booking.
On arriving home to check bank statement to see that Mrs Williams has kept our £100 deposit and has not refunded it.
Would not recommend any one to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank arabag
Rob C, Owner at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

How very unfortunate that you still do not understand why your deposit was not refunded. You did book with us and then cancelled and booked at another hotel close by. You were not even charged the usual deposit rate as you could not make up your mind with regard to the number of rooms required. As I have explained deposits are not refundable unless for valid reasons beyond your control.
I was more than helpful to your party, making phone calls to see where you had booked and having your luggage collected for you and even making you refreshments that you were not charged for. Did you intend just not turning up at the hotel you had booked?
I can see that there are misunderstandings here and I tried to make the best of a difficult situation for you.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our daughter and her family booked this hotel as a christmas present for us with the break to be taken 13th - 15th March to coincide with my birthday. What a lovely hotel with all the comforts of home. We were booked in on a groupon voucher for 2 nights bed & breakfast plus 1 nights evening meal the food was so good that we ate there the 2nd night as well ( thank you Karen ). We had a very warm welcome from Rob when we arrived and was able to take a drink to our room which was lovely and warm and comfortable. This was the ideal hotel for the quiet and relaxing break we wanted with good hospitality and food . Thank you Rob & Karen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dominoers

It is very rewarding to know people enjoy their stay with us. Thank you for your lovely feedback.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel has some unique aspects which make it worthwhile visiting, despite some issues which I will detail below.

We booked on a Groupon voucher for 11-12 February as there were meant to be music nights on Monday and Tuesday but unfortunately on Monday there wasn't as nobody else turned up. Tuesday was a great blues night however, and we had a great night chatting with other residents and some excellent music in quite a nice traditional bar (much warmer on Tuesday than Monday).

We were travelling with our dog, and consequently were placed in the converted mews stables. Our little stable was cute, and spotlessly clean, with a living room with tiny kitchen with microwave and shower/wc off, and a bedroom upstairs. However......... it was VERY cold. There was an electric fire on, but it didn't give off a lot of heat, and there were plug in wall heaters which were unplugged when we arrived. So it took quite a while to heat the place up. However, by the morning, it was okay, but I feel that the cottage would benefit from a heavy door curtain and thick curtains to make it cosier, as there were only vertical blinds upstairs and down. There is no heating whatsoever in the shower room/WC, which was bleak when we arrived but warmed up somewhat as the rest of the place heated up.

The other issue we had with the accommodation is that the double bed upstairs is pushed against the wall into a corner, so if you are in a couple, you have to wriggle out of bed in an awkward manner and on the other side of the bed, you are positioned very close to the staircase and I could well imagine falling out of bed and tumbling down the stairs. This is compounded by the fact that I am no Slim Jim. (I wonder if Rob & Karen have tried sleeping in the beds?) The upstairs is quite awkwardly shaped, as it has a sloping ceiling and is quite narrow, so ideally the bed should be built in - or maybe two single beds would better fit the shape of the room upstairs. In any case, I found it a struggle to get in and out of bed while squished against the wall and did resort to sleeping part of the time on the sofa downstairs - not ideal. Lucky I had some blankets! For a single person, it'd be fine, although the furniture still is awkwardly placed.

By the morning, the little cottage was quite cosy, so we left on our first full day after breakfast and turned off the electric fire, but not the wall heaters. When we returned (we weren't locked out until 4pm as the cottages have their own access) all the heating was off. It was once more freezing - and the weather was threatening snow.

I really feel that this is a false economy. I presume the heating is not turned off in the hotel? Or perhaps it is during the day as guests are not allowed in their rooms from 10-4pm according to other reviews.

We didn't bother to complain, as we were going the next day, but we did resolve, if we were to return again, that it would only be during the late spring or early summer.

Now for the food - the breakfasts are excellent. My husband requested fried bread instead of hash browns on our first morning, and they were provided - and appreciated. Hash browns are okay, but a bit too American, I feel. The second day's breakfasts the hotel was fuller, so hash browns were the only game in town, and as we were the last to sit down, we only got half a glass of orange juice each. I am sure we could have asked for more, though. But it would have been nice to be asked.

We ate one evening meal there as part of our GroupOn voucher, and it was a bit variable. We both had wild mushroom soup as a starter, which was fine, and then chose a chicken curry from the menu as we didn't fancy the special and OH hates chunky chips. I decided to have half and half rice and chips, which meant I lost out on my naan bread, but as naan breads outside of Indian restaurants are usually rubbish, I wasn't too worried. Now the actual chicken curry was tasty and spicy and plentiful but ......... the rice! It was seriously overcooked. We both hardly touched our rice and I am very glad I decided to have half chips - I prefer them thin, too, but they were at least nice and golden and crispy, and not soggy like the rice. There was plenty of food - so nobody would starve for sure, but good rice with a curry is essential - which is why I have a rice cooker at home, after it was recommended to me by a Chinese friend!

We both enjoyed our desserts and were certainly full. However, OH is very picky and after the rice experience we decided we wouldn't bother to eat there the following evening. Thank goodness for the microwave in our little kitchen!

I do feel Karen is a good cook and there were other things we could have eaten - we probably made the wrong choice for our main course, that's all.

Rob is a talented musician (and teaches guitar so must be great if you want a break with guitar lessons), but he does have just a touch of the Basil Fawlty in his manner - and there is a slight air of the guests being a bit of nuisance stopping him running his hotel - which is unexpected as most of the musicians I have met are pretty laid-back (though most aren't running a family hotel). And I mean this very kindly as we would consider coming again in the warmer months (with a camp bed). The music festival sounds tempting (and so did Karen's turkey and ham pie with leek and cheese sauce).

So ideal for single person (in mews) and especially if they love music and have warm clothing. And love chunky chips and hate rice.

Oh yes - nice part of the world - we love Mid Wales. Not the most exciting or picturesque village you've ever seen, but handy for both Oswestry and Welshpool.

Room Tip: Dogs accepted in the mews cottages (not allowed upstairs).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank w00fdawg
Rob C, Owner at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

We have observed your lengthy comments.

Usually anything you are unsure or dissatisfied about would be rectified while you are here; if you did not bring anything to our attention it cannot be rectified.

See below:
People enjoy leaving comments - one person that commented and scored us low for everything did not even stay here!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was a little difficult to check in as the pub wasn,t open,but after knocking a few times we were met by the landlord (Rob)and shown to our accomodation.Our companions had an-suit room in the pub iyself whilst my partner and I were given a lovely little self-catering mews conversion in the courtyard.Although we had booked H/B we could have utalised the equipement in the maisonette to cook etc.This really impressed us as it was very cold outside but when we retired we were lovely and warm due to the amount of heaters provided.The pub itself is a typical country inn and live music is on offer (landlord is a musician).Alcoholic drinks are what you,d expect with a good selection of real ales or draught Scrumpy if you wish.
Foodwise the Full English was as stated----Full,and freshly cooked with as much as you could eat or drink,cerials were a well known brand in individual packages,with plenty of variety.
The evening meal wasn,t quite as good with a limited choice of menu,but what was available was tasty and promptly served.Both the landlord and landlady couldn,t do enough for us and nothing seemed too much trouble.

Room Tip: Our accomodation in our opinion was 1st class,but you needed a small torch to get across the courtya...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bimbomblux

Thank you for your appreciation.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our Stay 15th+16th Feb 2013
First of all the food was lovely And karen is a nice hostess polite and couldnt do enough to help you .
Room 4 was allocated to us and was a nice size,with comfortable single beds

Upon arrival at 3;50pm we found the hotel shut ,(4pm check in) so went around the back as sign on door asks you to do.
We found that you had to state you breakfast time from 7:30am - 8:30am, we"re early risers so no problem but i think its a short serving timespan.
We asked Rob for a drink ,he replied the bar was shut till 6pm,after a 3Hr drive we were not happy ,So drove to the next village llanmaenach
Room 4 was warm when we went to Dinner , Upon returning to the bar at 10:30 from the 4 crosses pub we went into the hotel bar for a few more nightcaps ,And spoke to another couple staying in the hotel ,My wife asked for the music to be turned down And Robs reply was "IT WAS OK TILL YOU CAME IN " !!! the wife told him we were talking and couldnt hear each other .
At 11pm we went to our room ,The Heating was off(rad set on 9)
Then a horrendous noise of rushing water into a cistern/pipes for 5min before i went to complain first to karen who unfortuately was in bed ,then to Rob who"s attitude was its noises in the hotel, and said" not to panic no need to call the police ".He was faffing around like bazil faulty busy doing nothing,eventually he came to our landing and tried to get into room 3,but the door was opened by the occupant in time, Apparently they left a tap running and it was emptying the header tank This lasted for 15mins ,then if anyone went to their toilet at night and flushed chain you could hear it in our room
On saturday After our meal we went to the 4 crosses for a drink ,returning to hotel at 10pm ,where the bar was again shut, our room was again cold
On sunday morning ,I asked karen are there any outstanding bills before we leave,I was refered to Rob , Who seeming picked a figure of £32:50 for our Saturday night meal ,Stating he knew what we had ! ,I queiried it and asked 3 times for a menu - 1 garic bread £2:99 ,2 cottage pie £15;10 , Dessert NO price ,He eventually settled on £25 which i thought reasonable. We then left
While there we spoke to a couple in the Annex rooms ,They froze on friday night 1 oil filled radiator,when they asked to be moved Rob asked them for £20 to cover the fresh linen.
Another older couple he reckoned couldnd open the outside door as they were trying to put the key in the wrong way into a yale lock.
I dont know if any of those people complained BUT I DID DIRECTLY TO ROB ,my opinion is that its his hotel and tough luck ,unfortunately he not to be mine host.
We will not return to the golden lion or recommend it .
Its unfortunate for karen ,as she should be" the face "of the golden lion as she couldnt to enough to help you

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank richard27
Rob C, Owner at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

“Well, what can I say”, The title says it all - yes, it’s all about YOU; in the 2 – 3 days that you stayed here every other guest and member of staff had to tentatively step around you in case you demanded anything unreasonable.
On arrival, if the bar was at the time closed, you could have taken a drink to your room, which is fairly standard in all hotels. We are on a long distance walking path here, so we are used to people wanting a drink when they arrive.
Breakfast time varies from hotel to hotel, you have to appreciate that all hotels are different, so in a family run business like ours there are other things that have to be done in the day, all by the same staff, and there is a reason for check – out time also, so that these things can be done safely and effectively.
We had a full restaurant that night and nobody complained about any music, in fact another of our guests liked the music so much that he asked me to send it on to him and joined my band mailing list.
We were fully booked for the Valentine’s offer that we had that week, all of our ten rooms were taken, but it was only you who was stamping about and shouting up and down the stairs at midnight because the lady in the room next to you had left a tap running, you said you could not sleep.
You made the lady in the room next to you very nervous, thinking she was responsible for something major when, in fact, the problem was sorted out in thirty seconds.
The rest of the hotel guests seemed to be coping alright, at least until you started shouting and demanding.
The couple who asked for fresh linen were in a twin room and decided that they then wanted a double. I am sure they do not need you to speak for them, as is also the case for the other couple who actually broke their key in half trying to turn it while inserting it upside down in the lock, but you had to interfere or intimidate nearly everybody that was staying with us.
You made up your own prices to our menu and argued about the price until you realised that you do not get two three course meals for the price of one! (We do have to try and make some money!) You just had to have your own way.
You are pedantic, lecherous; cheapskate, illiterate, and you will definitely not be welcome to return. Next.

Been to The Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!