All reviewsthe pubhay on wyechalet stylecar parkgolden valleylog cabinwet roomfresh ingredientschickens and duckspiewelsh borderroom numberbeautiful countrysidebiscuitsbreakfast was deliciousstayed here for two nightshome made
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I booked a two night romantic break in the Pandy Inn after seeing it on-line but when we arrived I was extremely disappointed. Our room had a view of the car park and, worse, the car park had a perfect view of our room!! And with floor to ceiling windows, the only way to get any privacy was by pulling the curtains across and blocking out the daylight altogether.
I was very upset at what I felt had been a misrepresentation of the web site and so we told the owner that we didn't want to stay. He seemed ok about it but then I later found out that they had charged my credit card an £85 cancellation fee, without telling me, even though we hadn't cancelled, as such, we had left because it didn't live up to its own publicity.
On a brighter note, we drove about another 10 miles and found a perfect place to stay - The Black Mountain Lodge - which I can highly recommend.

Room Tip: Make sure you book one of the rooms facing the fields and not the car park.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 534LindyLoo
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed two nights recently, Dorstone is a small attractive village in rolling countryside. Very old inn with separate accommodation in a modern Scandanavian style. Our room (3) was a comfortable king size with an excellent view over the village and hills. The ensuite shower room is very clean and well kitted out, excellent towels, shower gels etc.
We enjoyed both breakfasts and an evening meal in the inn, great service, everybody very pleasant.

Tip--dont rely on Sat Nav too much, some of the local roads are overgrown farm tracks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My great-great grandfather was landlord of the Pandy Inn in the 1841 census and I had brought my mum on a trip to see it. We got much more than we were expecting. The old, historic inn did not disappoint and the accommodation in the purpose built pine Polish house was of the standard we would expect in a Marriott - comfy beds with lots of pillows; lotions and soap and towelling robes in the bathroom; mineral water, tea, coffee and shortbreads. The food was locally sourced and absolutely wonderful. My mum still talks about Bill's rack of lamb! The Pandy is a little off the beaten track, but more than worth the journey. It has a lovely relaxed atmosphere: the perfect blend of history and luxury.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed here for one night with two sets of friends and rented three rooms on a Dinner B&B basis.

Saw the reviews and e-mailed Magdalena to make the arrangements - she was really helpful and very friendly and expectations were high!

Met up in Hay on Wye - lovely town famous for its book festival. for lunch and then on to Dorstone which was only a 15 min drive from Hay.

The pub itself is very old and on the night of our stay was the location for a regulars charity race night - so plenty of activity in preparation. Magdalena's other half Bill, booked us in and showed us to the rooms. As described elsewhere, they are in complete contrast to the olde-worlde pub very cutting edge and part of a glass and pine "chalet" located at the back of the car-park. All three rooms were quite different in aspect but all were beautifully finished and furnished. The beds and bathrooms are especially comfortable.

Sat in the sun outside the chalet with a pint being interviewed by Bill and Magdalena's son Liam - great fun!

We ate in the pub - actually in the bar as the racing had taken over what is usually the restaurant but all worked well and there was a great atmosphere. Food really was very good and way beyond what would be expected from a country pub. Breakfast was also excellent if rather slow to arrive - no matter as we werent in a hurry!

I can really recommend this place. great food, atmosphere, accomodation and really nice people. Would we go again? You bet! We've already booked to stay again with another set of friends!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We read all the reviews for the Pandy before staying for a two day break. I can confess all the reviews were acurate this pub is a fantastic place to stay not so much for the viliage which is a very quiet herefordshire villiage with limited amenities, but for the overal experience of staying at the Pandy

Rooms - In a lovely wodden challet Style at the back of the pub The room was extremely clean & well stocked with tea coffee and milk and biscuits , bed extreamly large and comfortable and extreamly quiet, even the cockeral was well behaved.

Pub - Really old english pub low beamed and cluttered like a pub should be with the right type of decor- good local atmosphere with friendly locals . Excellent Bar man who made us feel as welcome as the locals frequenting the bar,

Landlord was extremley helpful and even lent us a couple of cds of the local area despite the floods making travelling diffcult. he even cooked the breakfast which was freshly cooked though beware if you have eaten the night before in the pub you will struglle with the breakfast., which brings me on to the best thing about our experience the food.

Where do you start a relatively good choice on the menu and a number of specials the T bone Steak i had was one of the largest and best cooked i have ever had , my wifes rack of lamb was superb cooked to the standard of a high class london establishment.

The chicken pie i had on the second night melted in your mouth and my wifes steak and desert was superb .

I would advise to sample the good choice of real ales before you eat as after dinner you will struggle to find any room left to consume

Overal an excellent expereince and having stayed in numerous inns throughout the UK i can honestly say this was easily in the top 3 could even be number 1

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple