“Santa Train on a very snowy day”

Churnet Valley Railway
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Froghall
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Churnet Valley Railway, is a picturesque heritage Steam Railway that runs through Staffordshire’s Little Switzerland, the Churnet Valley. It meanders alongside the Caldon Canal and the River Churnet for a delightful nostalgic 11 mile return journey. Kingsley & Froghall Station has ample parking and disabled access and is home to the award winning traditional Tea Room plus the railways Souvenir Shop, both of which are open on running days. Consall Station has no public road access making it very quiet and isolated in its situation beside the weir on River Churnet where the canal splits from the river. Nearby are the Lime Kilns and the Black Lion Public House. At Cheddleton Station you can visit the Railway’s Engine Sheds and its small Railway Artifacts Museum. Trains run most Sundays from February to October, and full weekends from Easter as well as Wednesdays from June to September. Additional services run on all Bank Holiday Mondays and school holidays.
Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

Brillant. The effort made by all at Churnet Valley was brillant. Information regarding roads was clear and true. All members of staff very welcoming and made the day another day for the kids to remember. Thank you to all at Churnet Valley.

1  Thank michaelmB7415HC
in 23 reviews
"nice trip"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2017

This was a gift from my wife through a third party called "Into the Blue" and they passed us onto the railway. It was billed as being 1.5 hours in length.

Booking the experience with the railway direct required lots of forward planning because we had to work around the railway. This was fine but there was a lack of flexibility really. Also when the letter came with the arrangements there was ambiguity as to where to go. We went to Froghall using the postcode on the letter whereas we were supposed to go to Cheddleton!

A map would be really helpful please together with precise instructions.

After a Top Gear driving experience to get there on time sadly there was no-one with a clue about my booking. The volunteers simply didn't know. No one at either end of the line had any idea about the booking. The day was being set up for Halloween.

It didn't matter since after about 15 minutes things started to slot into place and I took my place on the footplate. We travelled to Froghall and back and the overall experience took just over three quarters of an hour.

The online advert says

"Bring your friends and family along
and make it a day to remember.
There will be opportunities to take
photographs to record your special
day and as a memento you will be
presented with a certificate and
complementary polo shirt."

Sadly the photos were snatched affairs and there was no polo shirt nor certificate. Nor were there any of the other items mentioned in the online literature.

That isn't to say that the volunteers weren't helpful, they were, but it was as though I was "fitted in" around everything else.

The star of the show was the engine

1  Thank Philip W
Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

We were really looking forward to this, we visited while our son was in Alton Towers (not our thing) The description on the website was a long way from reality, first of all I must give credit to the staff as they are all volunteers and do an excellent job especially Liam, who was brilliant, the main complaint is we bought rover tickets which it says let you get on and off as you like all day, well first of all there is not enough to keep you occupied between trains at the stations, usually an hour, I understand that it was only open for one day, a Halloween special, and the tea room at Chedleton was closed due to a staff shortage, but there was to many delays on the journey, adding a carriage because there were more people than expected, stopping to move the engine from one end to the other( to turn the train around) we found it was not so much a train ride more of an hour sat on a motionless train carriage, so much so we only did one trip.
We love steam railways and are really grateful to all the volunteers who give their time and energy to keep these places open but this is the first time we have been disappointed with a train journey, sorry but I had to leave a truthful review on our experience.

3  Thank David M
Reviewed October 16, 2017

I booked to take three friends on this trip, unfortunately I got facial Shingles that affected my eye so I was not able to drive my friends on the day I had booked. I was not able to rearrange for any other time or get even a partial refund and so lost my money. The company do say 'No refunds' but I do think they could offer an insurance to take out in case of illness, or at least re arrange dates. Very disappointed.

3  Thank Patuk52