“Going back in time”

Gladstone Pottery Museum
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Longton
More attraction details
Owner description: Gladstone is the only complete Victorian pottery factory from the days when coal burning ovens made the world's finest bone china. Traditional skills, original workshops, and the cobbled yard and huge bottle ovens transport visitors back in time. Visit the gift shop and tea room and have a go at throwing a pot, making a bone china flower or decorating pottery. Please allow two to three hours for your visit. The shop and cafe, which serves a selction of drinks and light lunches, are open to non-museum visitors.
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The Gladstone Pottery Museuem is exactly as it was in the potter industry 50 years ago.I worked at the Portmerion factory (formerly Kirkhams) in the mid 60s nothing is hyped up and you get the feel of the poor working conditions that the workers had to put up with.The way Pottery was manufactured showing all the skills is explained in full.We have taken friends there from all over the world they have all enjoyed the visit.

1  Thank chris m
There are newer reviews for Gladstone Pottery Museum

Reviewed December 17, 2011

As I once used to work here I love to go back with my family and show them around. The last time I visited was really an emotional one for me as I took both my parents that were elderly and had worked all their life in the pottery industry. My Father passed away not long after and my Mother now has dementia but to spend that day in Gladstone watching them reminisce and the joy on their faces I will never forget. We've been to Halloween nights and Christmas days and always enjoy visiting this real educational museum and it's a place that should keep going forever in my opinion so that the younger children growing up can see what our Stoke on Trent heritage and roots is all about. Probably one of the best museums in Stoke on Trent if you ask me!

Reviewed December 7, 2011

We visited this museum to learn about Pottery and the conditions it was made in. We thought the visit would be about 1 hour, but we were there for nearly 3 hours and could have stayed longer. It was really interesting. We visited on their 'Christmas' day, so it was very festive with carol singing, mulled wine etc. Demonstrations of some of the skills, and actors in costume made it very atmospheric. Nice cafe. A brilliant exhibition and collection on Toilets, and also one on Tiles. You can also look around the old Doctors House.
Free car parking next to museum.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

The Gladstone Pottery Museum is well wort the visit. The old pottery kilns that once ruled the Stoke landscape are very well preserved as are the other buildings. From the creaky floors of the reception building one gets a glimpse into the life of those that laboured in the tough conditions that put Stoke on the tables right across the world. The museum contains terrific and informative artefacts and displays, but what captured our attention most was watching the demonstrations of flower making and vase making by the very helpful and informative ladies.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

The Gladstone Pottery Museum is situated on the original site of the 19th century Gladstone China Works. The visitor is able to tour the pottery independently, entering the huge bottle kilns and visiting the workshops to watch demonstrators make pots and flowers from clay and paint scenes on the finished pots. One can follow all the processes in this traditional craft for which the Potteries are world famous. There are opportunities to "have-a-go" at throwing a pot, making your own flower and decorating a piece of pottery. Children are encouraged to try this.
We found the museum to be an extraordinary and fascinating place. There was a group schoolchildren visiting who were enjoying the visit as much as we were. The gallery on the history of the lavatory, "Flushed with Pride" is unusual and well worth visiting!

There is an admission fee but car parking is free, a small restaurant serves light meals and traditional oatcakes. Most of the site is accessible for wheelchairs and babybuggies.
The Gladstone Pottery Museum is open every day from 10am- 5pm. Children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by an adult.