“gone downhill”

The Sneyd Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Tunstall B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2013

as a local and past frequent visitor including xmas lunches,after visiting today for
sunday lunch i cannot believe the difference we experienced,the server on the carvery,loud
and a bit scruffy to say the least,we could hear him barking orders to back of house,selection
of vegetables not as expected pureed carrots??this is a great shame for local people and
visitors to the area,the carvery at the sneyd has always been enjoyed by all,along with a
great welcome,lovely staff and atmosphere,it is with regret i shall not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mark j

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the sneyd arms and it's was fabulous. Nothing was too much for the staff to accommodate. The food was perfect, I had salmon and poached egg for breakfast and a steak in the evening. It was cooked perfectly. I will definitely be stopping here again

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I flew from cardiff to glasgow to buy a car and felt that a 425 mile drive home on the same day was going to be a little too much, so booked via laterooms to stay at the Sneyd Arms Hotel in Tunstall.

As i drove through the town it didnt look too great, but on arrival the town square looked nice enough and I parked up right opposite the hotel.

First impressions were all good - it seemed nicely decorated and I was greeted warmly by the owner. They were just clearing up (slightly early) the dining room, but readily agreed to cook me whatever I wanted from the menu but first allowed me to sign in and freshen up.

The meal was excellent (I chose a simple dish of fish and chips as I didnt want to inconvenience them too much) and I was pleasantly surprised when a nice large portion arrived. It tasted as good as it looked too.

My room was well decorated with a comfortable bed, large tv, spacious and very nice bathroom.
I had to pay £5 deposit for a tv remote (it worked fine without it,but it is convenient) but of course you get that back upon return.

I was tired after my long drive so took a drink upstairs and relaxed on the bed watching tv.
unfortunately the free wifi didnt quite reach my room (a simple thing for the hotel to resolve) but then it does say its only available in the public areas in the description.

Breakfast was excellent with a large plate arriving (only ommission was a hash brown or 2 would have made it perfect) plus coffee and orange juice.
again the food was really well cooked too.

the hotel has been recently decorated and it showed nicely - with the dining room, public bar and my bedroom being lovely - only the upstairs corridor showed any sign of neglect - and tbh its simply a transit area from the bar/dining room to your bedroom.

If I was to have any small complaint it would be that my room (on the side of the hotel) backed onto a road that whilst not hugely busy did seem to have the odd modified car running up and down it with loud exhausts and a few noisy trucks. I would add however that a majority of the rooms look over the town square which is a lot more peaceful - so id recommend you ask for one of those (i booked late, and thats my mistake - and it doesnt help that I always sleep with the window open)

overall I found the hotel very pleasant, the staff friendly and welcoming and the food to be superb.

Id recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: recommend asking for a room overlooking the square as the side rooms by the road can be a little no...