“Quality Hotel, not all quality”

Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hanley
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent three nights in this hotel in July 2013. We had a room for four. It was fine if a little small for four. The location is quite good with a few restaurants close by.
Our main difficulty was the food. We had a meal in the restaurant one night and it was very poor. my wife had a lasagne which was unrecognisable as lasagne and she could not eat it. The other meals were adequate at best. All in all the food let the hotel down and I wouldnot be rushing back.

1  Thank Laura340
Director_of_Sales_13, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Laura340
Thank you for your comments, please be assured that your concerns will be discuss with the relevant departments.
we hope to welcome you back in the future.

N Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Unclean room and corridors reeking of smoke.

The staff weren't rude but definitely uninterested.

Sleazy neighbourhood

Breakfast not worth the £10 charge.

Okay bed and fairly quiet during the night. Easy to find from the motorway and lots of free parking.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gainsbourg

Dear Gainsbourg
Thank you for your comments I can assure you that they will be looked into and discuss with the relevant departments. If you feel that you would like to discuss this in more detail then please call the hotel direct and speak to the General Manager who will be happy to help.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Near to the Hanley town center. Reasonably a good hotel and food is ok as well.it is not far from bus and railway station. Ample car park and safe.
The hotel looks very welcoming. i think they should put some flags outside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Claire b

Dear Claire b.
Thank you so much for your comments, the team at The Quality Hotel will look forward to welcoming you back if you visit stoke in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed 4 nights 1-4 July 2013,a room was booked with double bed and B&B. I was told to come back after 2pm as the room was not ready at 10am, fair enough. I returned at 3pm and was given the room entry card and I went to my room. The room had a single bed, broken mains socket, cracked window, it was a very hot and humid day and the sash window could only move an inch or two with both hands with no way of it staying up, at that time I heard the 7 Air con units outside the window whirling away. I requested a fan and was told one would be sent up. I left the hotel and returned after 6pm, no fan and requested one again also asking for another room as this was a single bed with the above problems and was told there were no rooms available on that day as fully booked.. The fan never arrived plus the bedside light did not work.
The following day I was moved to the top floor which was more acceptable and quite nice although a quaint vintage CRT TV with only 5 channels!! Lovely bathroom. Unfortunately the WiFi was down on that floor for the full stay, so no internet. Could do with a new mattress.
The houskeeping staff were 100% and a credit to their company, the breakfast was "OK"
The hotel did boast a heated swimming pool, spa and Gym which I did not visit but the pictures look good and other guests seemed happy-ish.
Would I stay there again? Maybe, good position and I have been to worse.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank catsdotnet
Director_of_Sales_13, Director of Sales at Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Catsdonet
Thank you for your wonderful compliments regarding the Housekeepers, I will be sure to pass this on to them. Please feel free to call the hotel direct and speak to the General Manager regarding your other concerns, I can assure you that these will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my fiancé, to attend an event at Keele. Taxi from hotel to Keele £7 and £11 late return.
Very good free parking, friendly staff, and good range of facilities.
Hotel is worn out, attracts a colourful crowd and needs refurbishing throughout.
Springs sticking out through bed and windows barely opened so room was uncomfortably hot. Brekkie was pretty grim, but enough to get you going.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sarah B

Dear Sarah B
Thank you for your kind compliments regarding the friendly staff, at present the hotel is in the process of a refurbishment ensuring consistency throughout. I hope that you will return to us again in the near future and experience a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wow, where do I start. We were travelling to England to go to Alton Towers and this was one of the closest and cheapest nearby hotels. There is a Quality Hotel where we live and it's not too bad, so this was a massive downgrade. When we got to the hotel, it looked very old from the outside, so we were hoping it would be better on the inside. It wasn't. We checked in and got the cards for our room from the reception. When we got up to our floor, it was very different from the reception. It was very dark, there was no paint on the walls, just bricks, there was a musty smell in the air and it was quite cold from lack of heating. When we reached our room, we tried all the cards, but none of them worked. After much frustration, we went down to reception and asked for another card and that didn't work either, so we were eventually given the master key, which we had to give back every time we left the hotel. When we finally got into our room the disappointment kept on coming. There was a double bed and a single bed in the room with a fairly decent tv, a kettle and coffee, tea and milk and 3 lamps. 1 lamp didn't work and there there was no central light in the room so it was quite dark. The double bed was rock hard and the single bed wasn't actually a bed, it was a pull-out couch frame, which wasn't straight and had a paper thin mattress on top of it. It was so uncomfortable, I had to eventually put the cushions from the couch on top of the mattress and put the thin sheets on top of it. When we rang reception about the lamp, it took three times before they picked up. The person at reception said someone would come up and fix it soon, but no one showed up. The next day, when we said about the lamp again, they again said someone would fix it, but no one did. The only good things about the hotel were location, since we were going to Alton Towers, the pool and the breakfast, which was only okay. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anybody going to Stoke or Alton Towers. Even considering the cheap price, it was still not worth it.

2  Thank Paul O

Dear Paul O

Thank you for your comments they will be looked into, please feel free to call the hotel and discuss them further with the General Manager who will be happy to help.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

As the title suggests, I had a number of issues with the Quality Hotel. It all started off when we went for dinner in the hotels ironically named 'Sixty-Six' restaurant. We arrived in, and we were seated and given menus. On sitting down I realised that I would have to peel everything off the table. Everything. I ignored it until we ordered and my napkin tore as I lifted it. Something from under the table stuck to my trousers. I don't know what it was. You may have been wondering why the restaurants name is ironic. I'm still not sure whether its because your food takes that amount of time to come out, or if its the temperature of your food in Fahrenheit when it does eventually reach your table. It could be both. Who knows?
We were told that the delay was down to the hotel being very busy and they had a lot of room service orders. That's fair enough, but if you have the bookings you really should have the staff and facilities to deal with that amount of people.
The next day my father gave my younger brother some Euros to change into Sterling at reception. He came back with fifty pounds. We were a bit surprised but thought nothing of it. Later that night we received a call from the manager, requesting that we gave the money back as they don't accept Euros in the hotel. Having just come back from dinner in the recommended Portofino Italian restaurant around the corner the money had been spent. As we were leaving the next day, we went down to the reception to try and possibly give them the extra that the exchange rate required, but no, they don't accept Euros. The next day, running a bit late we went to try again as we didn't really have the time to go and withdraw cash in order to give it to them. This just wasn't acceptable as the receptionists militant approach to her job surely demonstrated. Pointing in the direction of the nearest bank (none of the local banks would let you change money without an account) we were ordered to go fetch the required amount. Now, I've worked in Hotels and been in similar situations, and if a member of your staff makes a mistake, the customer didn't have to pay the price, never mind go run the errand to amend the problem. When I returned with the Sterling I tried to bring this point up but was snapped at by G.I. Receptionist that the complaint had already been relayed to the 'correct department' and with the member of staff who made the initial mistake. The whole thing is the most mind boggling spectacle of customer service I have ever seen.

Saying that though, our restaurant issue was addressed by the manager, no questions asked once the issue had been brought up. Other than G.I. Receptionist, we found all of the other staff to be very friendly and accommodating. For the price, we had no problems with the room, although the small flight of stairs down to the bathroom was a bit odd.

So if you don't plan to eat anything other than breakfast in the hotel and manage to avoid the Weapon at Reception, you could possibly have a pleasant stay. Just make sure to exchange any currency needed before you get there.

Room Tip: The room we got for four people wasn't the most comfortable for anyone not on the main bed, but...