“Always feel at home 2 Lads Newcatle”
Review of Verdon Guest House

Verdon Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hanley B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2010

As 2 travellers around the uk and beyond we have found the Verdon to have a friendly and much of a home from home feel to it .We found on our first visit the staff to be helpful and friendly . On our first night we like to eat in with an order put into the local take away we had no questions asked when the door bell rang . We find the rooms to have a cosy feel which are nice to come back to after being in town which is a short walk away. Tv has frree view with DVD. We can give the thumbs up for the Verdon and would not choose any other while in potters land

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Photos on web are very deceiving, nothing like them when we arrived. Was led through to the kitchen through a dark,dank corridor. Filled in the form in the kitchen where we were offered a cup of tea, thankfull for that really as there was kettle and cups only in the room,no milk or coffee. ROOM 4 was on the ground floor with an adjacent room next door and a filthy bathroom in-between. Anyway,the worst was yet to come, after returning from work at 4 AM we went to our rooms (or should I say cells) as that what they felt like. My friend who had the room ajoining room 4 came into mine in the morning absolutely at the end of his tether. He preceeded to tell me that it was so cold in his room because of the lack of heating and due to the fact there was a 1930's air intake type thing attached to the wall at the end of the room which was letting in the cold air from outside. He then told me he had to put his clothes back on plus put the bed covers from the other bed onto his and then get back into bed. This was explained to the owner when we handed the keys back who replied " You should have put a pillow over the intake" which did no good as that was already done. Needless to say we did not stay the other night we booked, and if we had asked for our money back we wouldnt have got it, as the owner very quickly scuttled off into their private quarters and locked the door. We were just glad to get out of there,it would have been warmer if we had slept in the vehicle. One other note to add, in the breakfast room was just as cold as the room and the only warmth came from the cup of coffee I had my hands gripped to.......Try your best to find alternative accommodation before,stay at your peril.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank BournemouthWorker
Reviewed February 1, 2010

From my time of arrival I was made more than welcome. It is Home From Home.
The staff are always there if you wish to ask for some thing.
The breakfast is far better than some of the local cafes, a hot and varied choice on a daily basis. there is also an evening snack available if you ask.
I was able to come and go as I wished.
I used to travel 30,000 miles a year and would rate this 10/10 compaired to some other places.
Well done to all of you and I will certainly be back and tell my friends to visit you.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I booked a room recently, based on the look of the website...but the actual hotel looks absolutely nothing like this.

It's situated across from the busy and noisy bus station, in a less than desirable part of town and as soon as I arrived, the first thing I noticed was the midew round the windowsills and the dirty windows. Inside was dark, depressing, with a faint smell of greasy something in the air....the hallway floor was littered with bits of paper and I was led to the kitchen, which was also, very dark with an ancient cooker , yellowing wall tiles and just a general air of disorder. A quick peak in the dining room...old furniture, faded, dated....afraid I do NOT know where they got the pictures on the website from, but it certainly didn't resemble anything I saw that day.

The staff seemed friendly enough...just politely oblivious to the mess and general dinginess around them. I definitely would not go back....it wasn't a nice experience and I certainly wouldn't advise it to anyone! Sorry Verdon House....but your website in no way reflects the true state of the hotel. I hope you get your act together soon!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shalott
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Looking at the guest house website, I thought it looked a decent, quality establishment. How wrong I was, and how misleading the website is. Nothing like in reality. The place seems more of a hostel than a guest house. Dark, dingy and what seemed like long term residents of the undesirable type.The room was awful, with what seemed like a cell window, which was at road level and had bars over it! The door had a hole in it, where it looked like someone had punched it. The ensuite shower room was dirty, gungy and I couldnt even bear to use anything apart from the toilet. The guest house is located in the centre of Stoke, so expect noisy, drunken and rude other guests, just as we did and had no sleep at all. The parking is unsafe and inadequate. I wouldnt stay here again if I was paid to.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank TripRaterUK
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We only stayed 2 nights but would be very happy to stay longer. Excellent location and value. Very helpful staff and no problems having visitors to the room. Very easygoing and no rushing out of the room the morning of departure. We also had no problems staying there as a gay couple which is very positive.
Very much recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Verdon Guest House? Share your experiences!