“A friendly welcome”
Review of Imzu Tours

Imzu Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Imzu Tours does township tours to the two biggest townships in Cape Town South Africa, namely Langa & Khayelitsha. Our half day walking tours give you the opportunity to meet and interact with the residents, observe the sights and sounds of township life and even sample some local offerings. Our knowledgeable guides will entertain you with stories, historical facts, cultural traditions and a whole lot more. You can even spend the night and enjoy the hospitality of a local family. Our Sunday Gospel Tours are a highlight.
Tisbury, Withshire, England
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A friendly welcome”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

It was our first trip to SA and we had three good weeks in the Western Cape. It was our first experience of seeing the townships from afar and I must admit a range of emotions - shame, perplexion and anger. I wanted to know more and discussed with several people at various locations the plight of those living in the townships.

The open top bus tours had already been recommended to us, so when we saw that there was a stop and an optional township tour - we had to go.

With a little trepidation we got off the bus. We were met by the ever-smiling Patrick who calmly led us forward and began to explain the history of the township. All our questions were answered politely and fully. Though extremely overcrowded everyone we saw seemed happy, well-clothed and well fed. There seemed a constant stream of traffic but all of it was mindful of anyone who happened to be walking at the road edge.

Patrick had a clear pride in was has been achieved in the township (various college successes) and was obviously well known and admired within his community. Several residents waved hello or gave us a 'high five' and we felt safe and welcome.

Though we were told that we could take photographs we didn't as for us it would seem an intrusion. It would have been interesting to see inside one of the houses. We did pass several open doorways, but felt uncomfortable about looking in.

The highlight for my wife was to say hello to a lttle girl (aged about 15/20 months - the same as her own grand daughter) who was tottering along beside her mother. The little girl quite spontaneously gave her a smile and threw her arms around my wife's legs to give her a hug.

The trip was well worth it. It gave us a little insight and has been one of our most talked about experiences of the holiday.

I felt guilty afterwards for not buying more gifts that were offered fro sale. At the time I felt I didn't need them. Yet afterwards I felt that I wished I could do something to help. Obviously the two things fit together perfectly. I should have bought more items and in this way would help the craftspeople whilst retaining their dignity.

I did call back a couple of days later to more some little amends.
I think a trip to the township would be a small way of showing that you care for the plight of others.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank PhilB198

Amersfoort, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great way to getting to know the country”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you visit South Africa you definitely should see the West Cape and learn more about the people. Mzukisi Lembeni will show you the daily life in Khayelitsha and brings you to places you will not see on your own. A tour with Mzu is not only only educational, it is also fun! Mzu is open, friendly and hospitable. We did the morning tour, during the weekend. Unfortunately, we could not visit a school or an orphanage during the weekend. So next time we will do the tour again together with friends and family on a workday.

Visited February 2013