“Disgusting Management!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I took her parents for dinner here for a dinner as we live in Australia and rarely get to see them so thought it fitting to reserve some good seats on the beachfront. Firstly they claimed we never booked seats (what happened to common decency, and accepting my word for it?) which we had to accept so were given a table at the back near the kitchen which was really noisy. The food was not all that poor but what shocked us most was firstly the waiter trying to force us to pay gratuity of 10% of our bill. Our bill was R1270,00 (South African Rands) and the waiter simply added on an amount of R130,00 for his "trouble", as he claimed, of serving us. I always will leave some form of gratuity but it's my understanding if an amount in NOT stipulated anywhere on the menu or clearly advertised inside the restaurant then it will be to the discretion of the diner? Well not in this case. I refused to pay that amount so the waiter brought in his "heavy set" manager who tried to force the issue about how the waiters don't get a salary but rely on gratuity for a living etc etc. Needless to say I point blankly refused to pay for the gratuity and will NEVER advise anyone to eat or go there.....be forewarned !!!!!!

3  Thank riocia

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have eaten here before many times, but never again. I booked for 3 people for 6h45 pm asked for a good view but was placed in front of the noisy kitchen with a pillar in front of the good view I had requested when I made the booking. The waitress was not interested in selling herself at all, she was lazy, not friendly, smelt like stale cigarette smoke and definitely did not give us the service we were hoping for, although we did leave her 10% tip. We were over charged on the bill and of course the food was brought to the table in different time sections, they got the one order wrong etc. Food not near as good as it was earlier this year. They did not have a soft drink I so desperately wanted to drink so I ended up drinking water. The whole experience has left me with no other choice but to go elsewhere from now on. I was planning to celebrate a 21st party there in January but honestly will say I am heading to Primi Piatti instead.

2  Thank janine750
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were staying in Cape Town for a week, and kept coming across great reviews for this restaurant.Since we arrived early (6pm) for dinner, we could easily be seated by the windows with great views of Table Mountain.
Service was prompt and consistent. My husband ordered the regular fillet Mignon cooked rare, while I ordered the fillet with cognac sauce cooked rare. Mine arrived at the table in a spectacle of flames. My husband was pleased with his steak. Mine ended up being cooked medium, I think due to the flaming brandy. It did have a pleasant flavor. Actually, the portions were so large that we had to take the rest home in a doggy bag.
There is a very good wine selection.
This restaurant is situated above The Ocean Basket restaurant and is very popular.
During the tourist season, I would definitely make a reservation.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We visited the Grill and Butcher for a Goupon Steak deal for six people,the view was beautiful but when we arrived had to ask our waitress to turn down the awful loud music which she immediately did.We found the time it took to serve our mains was far too long but when they arrived the steak was delicious.The Malva pudding was very good but needed hot custard not cold.Our waitress was very pleasant & it was good to see the manager walking around & speaking to the patrons to make sure everybody was happy.A nice evening & we will be back as the steaks were excellent.

1  Thank Cathy P
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Visited the establishment for the first time. Meal was fantastic and they serve a fantastic new chocolate hot pod.

1  Thank jaconiemand