Green Elephant
Protea Hotel Cape Town Mowbray(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$138
$94
Agoda.com
$101
$95
Radisson RED Cape Town(Cape Town)(Great Value!)
$119
$115
  • Pool
$66
$57
$129
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands(Newlands)(Great Value!)
$68
$59
Hotels.com
All reviewspizzathe main housefree wifigroote schuur hospitalcape townthe kitchenother gueststable mountainprivate roomat homemedical electivegreat area to stayrooms are cleanwesley streetopportunity to meetgrocery storesouth africa
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The sense of community at this hostel is unrivaled by any hostel I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in quite a few internationally!). Howard (the owner) is the nicest person you will ever encounter. He makes sure that his staff and guests are happy and shares a vast knowledge of Cape Town. This place is strategically located (from hospitals, grocery stores, universities, train station, restaurants etc...) and always buzzing with life. The only downfall: the rooms were all booked and I could not extend my stay for my three months in Cape Town. If I could, I would stay at the hostel for my entire time here. Nonetheless, I still visit the hostel a few times a week for its amazing sense of community (e.g. pizza nights, breakfast cook-offs). Former guests have also imprinted on this place.

I would strongly recommend without any reservation this hostel for all travelers (and interns in particular). Interns or students can meet others who may be working at the same organizations or attend the same schools. There are also amazing packaged city tours and activities for solo travelers to meet other travelers. You will be having so much fun that you won't ever want to leave!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TJI_12
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The place is about 5 minutes walk to the hospital, and the walk up is stunning. It feels as if the mountain is right behind the hospital, when in fact it’s miles and miles away. Further along, the medical faculty is 10 minutes away.

Also, Observatory is so cool. If you’re into clubs, there’s loads of them in the lower main road at night. I don’t generally enjoy clubs. In the day, there’s lots of clothes shop as well (although they’re a bit pricey for students). I went into Stones and Obz Cafe once to try out the comedy club, which was pretty cool. I’m pretty sure they’d have live music too somewhere around there. Narona, a pizza place nearby, makes the best goddamn pizza in the world.

The location’s pretty good since it’s so near to the buses (It’s R6 to go one way to the City Bowl) and the trains (R9 to go to the beachy places like Muizenberg, Kalk Bay or Simon’s Town). There’s minibuses around as well, which take you to the less travelled routes.

It’s also near to some shops like PicknPay for you to get your groceries.

I love the family feeling you get once you stay in the place. Nyasha, Edwina, Howard, Ester and Farai especially.They go out of their way to make me feel welcomed. Ester, one of the staff sort of became my substitute mother once she left on the 11th day. None of my friends came with me to South Africa, but it’s really easy to make friends with the travellers that stay here. SOme of them don’t even have plans for the day, and I found that my best days were usually those that were spontaneously planned with the random ones I met. Edwina really helped me with getting a free sim card (VodaCom). I got it late, but it was such a relief to be able to call the folks back home again.

I remember on my first week there, I skyved ward duties on Wednesday and the GE staffs were having a meeting/lunch. They asked me to call on my mum (who was sick most of the time she was there, poor thing) and they gave us some of the lunch they had. It was pretty awesome.

The rooms were cramped at first but became a bit more spacious in my second week since they took one single bed out. I could go online in my room so I pretty much stuck to the same old antisocial hermit that I usually am.

I don’t think you can use the swimming pool though even though it said it was one of the facilities provided there on the website. The best thing about the place is the kitchen, which made me gain 1.5kg. This is a massive feat since I am NEVER able to gain weight. Great place to meet the others too.

All in all, if you’re coming alone, and you want to stay in the Obs area, I’d definitely reccomend it. If you aren’t, I’d still recommend staying for a couple of days there and then finding a place to rent around Obs later.

It was a great place to stay! Met so many cool people here!

Room Tip: Tawny Room is an awesome room if you want to stay in an all girls dorm
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nazirahidris
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed at Green Ele for the first two weeks of my trip to Cape Town, but I ended up going there almost every day for the next 6 weeks!
Green Elephant is THE best place to get introduced to Cape Town, with the right location in Obz and an awesome crowd! It is such a fun place to hang out at - with the friendliest, funniest and warmest (and hard-working!!) staff! They helped me out when I needed advice about all sorts of things around town (the best of the touristy stuff/housing/parties/you name it!) and maybe as I did you will also make great friends if you stay there!
I can truly recommend all cool people that wants to really enjoy Cape Town to live at Green Elephant and talk to Edwina, Nyasha, Farai, Shingi, Mandi, Esther, Lucy and of course Howard!
Enjoy Cape Town and remember to SLOW DOWN!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anja805
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Cant thank the staff enough for a wonderful time i had! thanks everyone!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Rudivn
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Green Elefant was a place were everbody was welcome. The staff was always so friendly, funny and helpfull. It was kind of expensive compairs to some of the places on Long street, but it was worth it! Thank you Green Elefant for a great time :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends