“It was so good that I stayed there for 3 months”
Review of Green Elephant

Green Elephant
Londrina, PR
“It was so good that I stayed there for 3 months”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

It was incredible! The staff is great! I was in Cape Town to study english, so I had to stay there at least 3 months. Green Elephant was so lekker that I took advantage of it and extended my time at this place. They've got a bar there and a beer machine, what makes it even more appealing! :P
The place is safe, I could leave my computer scattered through the house with no worries. I met a lot of people there from all over the world that I can considered them as my friends now! So, It's really a good place! It wouldn't be so good to stay in Cape Town If I hadn't been at Green Elephant!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AdamEsteves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I stayed at the Green Elephant for about 7 days and made my reservations on really short notice, but they were great about accommodating me. They have both short-term (dorm-like) and long-term (a room in a real house close to the main site) and they put me up in the second of these. It was great - secure, my own kitchen and appliances, close to the grocery store, and ultimately I saved a ton of money from not eating out and the discount of staying for a while. Plus the staff is really knowledgeable about how to get the most out of your visit on a student's budget. They set me up with a visit to Robben Island and lots of great places to check out all over Cape Town. Also Obz was perfect for me since I needed to be at UCT every day - the Jammie bus stops a couple of blocks away and was my main means of transport.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank rachelmae
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Stayed at the Green Elephant with 3 friends for 4 nights in August. We found the staff to be excellent. They organized a trip to a local soccer match, a homemade pizza night, and even gave us a ride to the airport for much cheaper than a taxi (at 7 in the morning!)

The hostel is located in Observatory. Very close to the university, so there are a fair amount of decent restaurants and bars within walking distance. Was pretty quiet the week we were there, but I think it was winter break for the students. The block seemed fairly safe as we walked around at night (albeit in a large group of men). The hostel also employs a 24 hour security guard. There is an inexpensive car rental place (CarMania) on the block. A cab ride to downtown/the waterfront is about 20 minutes and fairly inexpensive. There are plenty of cabs in the neighborhood or the staff will call you one.

The accommodations are pretty standard for a hostel. Large rooms with 6 pretty uncomfortable bunk beds. Bathrooms on each floor that were a bit grungy. Computer with slow internet that didn't work most of the time, but there is a good, cheap internet cafe about 10 mins walk away. We did hear some rumors that some folks had items stolen from their bags, so make sure to keep anything valuable in the safe at reception. They also had a pool/hot tub that was not working and looked like it hadn't in years.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank ElectricMayhem
Oslo
Reviewed April 15, 2009

The crew that runs the place are young and chilled out. Nice people, nice kitchen, quite a few showers and toilets. Big TV, nice brai area and balcony. Plus for a small safe in the room - included in the prize.

I find it a bit prizy to pay 380 rand per night for a double room with shared bathroom, when you can pay 350 rand for a nicer stay at the Deco Lodge - just a few streets away. You have to park your car outside the property, our car was fine - but I wouldn't have left any belongings inside the car...

No towels included. (at least - we got none)

The bed we slept in had an old mattress, which wasn't too comfortable. They haven't done much out of the rooms, worn out paint on the walls and so on. The living room is a bit cozy.

Very "bob marley" - rastafari-style - on the whole experience at this place...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stokenes
Goettingen, Germany
Reviewed March 13, 2008

The hostel appeared quite friendly and laid-back as it is proposed to be. At the first sight, one has the impression that it's safe, with video cameras, eletric fences in some walls and even night security personel. I got a single room ensuite, the dolphin room, with metal bars outside and inside of the windows. But in my third night, my laptop and my camera were stolen when I was in the main house. No one knew that I had a laptop but some staff of the lodge and Nobody can see from the street what is in the room. One might be in the property in other to look through the curtains. at that time the vigilant was taking a coffee inside.
Indeed, some of the staff were quite helpful and supporting, trying to confort me after the shock. But, on the other day they just did not wait enough time for the police to do investigations and get fingerprints and they repaired the window, making any analysis worthless. The owner only contected me after many days and after I send an e-mail. He could not reburse me, but offered a 5 days stay gratis. But of course I could not accept to sleep in a place where I can wake up at night and find thieves in the room!
Resuming: this place is NOT safe. Going to South Africa requires extra security precautions.

• Liked — checking out was the best part
  • Disliked — security
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JSC25
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 27, 2007

This place was really nice an in walking distance of plenty of restaurants. There were a lot of private rooms available as well as dorm beds but it was nicer than the average hostel. There were a few different common and recreation rooms in the building (house) as well as an outdoor area. They also help with car hire and activities suggestions.

• Liked — friendly knowledgeable staff, other guests were older than the usual hostle crowd (25-45) and it was not overly noisy
  • Disliked — needed a car or a long taxi ride to a lot of places
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank bsemrow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Observatory
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
#11 of 125 in Cape Town Central
African Heart Backpackers
African Heart Backpackers
#3 of 10 in Observatory

Been to Green Elephant? Share your experiences!