“So good it's hard to find words.”
Review of Hello Sailor

Hello Sailor
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Observatory
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We went to sailor after a long day, feeling as though we needed a treat. Well, we chose the right place. We wanted to both share the different tastes with each other, and at the same time, relish in our own food. We chose kingklip, the gangster (peri-peri) chicken, and pasta with meatballs. My chicken was warm and delicious, moist and filling, although I could have carried on eating simply for the taste of it. The brownie was warm, melted in my mouth as I ate it, and the spice remained as a pleasant reminder of how good it had tasted.

This isn't the first time we've gone to Hello Sailor, and each time, we've loved the food there. Food is based on taste and quality rather than sweetness, and it isn't overly rich. The portions are filling. Sailor is comfortable, friendly, and so worth it!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

A very interesting little spot in the heart of vibe-y Observatory, one does not really expect to be blown away by this little spot's food and general atmosphere but once you go there for the first time, you will surely be back.

the food selection is amazing and the specials menu changes on an almost daily basis. there are always unconventional pairings of different foods, and the disco fries go with almost any meal.

A large selection of craft beers and the extremely friendly staff make for a great dining experience and the authentic feeling one gets in the sailor themed bistro coupled with Cape Town's alternative and artistic crowd that frequents Hello Sailor really makes Hello Sailor a must visit spot.

1  Thank Belac10
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've been to Hello Sailor many times, and the food is always AMAZING!! Their beef burger with fig, bacon and blue cheese is my firm favourite as well as the disco fries. The service can be slightly slow but for the food you get its waaaaaay worth it!

1  Thank Melj234
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The best place to pop in for a leisurely Obs breakfast! Warm, friendly and inviting, with the most killer eggs Florentine in town. Hello Sailor also makes for a great group outing in the evening. Lovely atmosphere, fantastic food.

1  Thank jenniferjac0bs
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I brought a large group for my graduation dinner to Hello Sailor over the weekend. It's not the most obvious place for a large get-together because the space is rather tiny, but there was nowhere else I'd rather take my family to show them the spirit of Cape Town (including the massively laid back waiters!).
The food is nothing mind-blowing (with the notable exception of their sensational New York cheesecake) but it is always reliably good. They could do with a few more beers on offer (there are no lite options) but generally the atmosphere is so great that the booze flows.
There was a small hitch with the card machine but the manager was gracious and charming throughout.
I recommend this restaurant to couples because it is small and intimate, but can also say that it pulled off a big table very well too. And I also have to say that their prices are outrageously generous and unusual for Cape Town which often gets away with ripping its patrons off. Well done to you guys!

1  Thank gracie_garland