“Amazing little eatery”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
“Amazing little eatery”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Small restaurant in Lower Main road - great value for money, friendly service. Mostly locals hanging and a very cool atmosphere

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Niel E

Westbury, New York
“Good Food, Good Prices, Comfortable”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I think this is a hidden gem in Observatory. We were in town for a week and ate here a few times, each of the dishes was good and at a good price. The staff was friendly and joked around if you sat at the bar. Try the loaded fries (chips), they were excellent. There aren't many seats so get here early in the evenings. For those people who are micro-brew fans like myself, they have a good selection of bottled beer, not just the typical beer at other restaurants (try the Dragon Firey Ginger beer, quite unique).

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Scott B
Westville, South Africa
“Great COFFEE!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

On my holiday in Cape Town, i stumbled across this little pub/coffee bar/restaurant. The soft rock called me from the street and dared me to go inside. This is where i enjoyed one of the best prego rolls of my life. The vibe is very Indie and laid back. Dont expect prompt service and someone to wait on you hand and foot. People come here to relax. And Nic (scary guy at the counter) is such a teddy bear, a real sweet heart. They also serve craft beer but that's not my thing.

I continued to come back here every morning for my large and FABULOUS cup of coffee to chill out while i read my book. Absolutely love Hello Sailor! They should bring one to Durban!!!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank xyracire
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fun times!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had a great time at Hello Sailor, the food was great and reasonably priced and the coffee is spectacular. The atmosphere is fun and comfortable, the staff were professional and friendly and the owner is charming with great taste in music. I will come here again most definitely and recommend it to anyone coming to Cape Town.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Travel87821
Hong Kong, China
“Horrible...the abuse is free.”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went with 2 friends, for breakfast. Like JPSRWW, I was shocked at the way the owner (or whoever) treated us. I asked a simple yes/no question about the availability of an ingredient, and received not an answer but a scathing shouty verbal tirade, for no apparent reason other than the guy's personal opinion on the health consequences of my dietary choices (which, on the plus side, was funny, because he in no way looks or acts healthy).

The guy (looks like Bluto from Popeye) was moody, approached our table more than once and, just as we started talking to place our order, he interrupted with "You're obviously not ready yet" and would swerve past our table to clear an empty table or to do something else - he did this about 4 times. My friends wanted to eat there, otherwise I would have simply walked out.

The breakfast is cheap because it is small (which is not necessarily a bad thing, not everyone wants to pig out at every meal). It's nice but nothing amazing and the bread is rubbish. (I had heard their food is nice from another friend.) The coffee is good but you can get good coffee in other places. The music is way too loud for breakfast at 9 a.m.

I didn't let the guy's rudeness get to me at the time, but I will never go there again; there really is no excuse for staff to be so actively mean to paying customers (unless you're into that). I checked Trip Advisor to see if this was a trend - apparently I am not the only one who had an experience like this.

• Visited February 2013