All reviews lovely balcony rooms are spacious staff member restaurants and bars great place to stay jenny chill hostel obs supermarket transport security
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2015

This Backpackers has become a "long term" Loft. BUT, you will not want to stay there for more than one night. Our "en suite" room was dirty - dust everywhere, filthy disgusting bathroom with urine leaking from the base of the toilet, moldy gross shower curtain that had allegedly been replaced 2 months ago ( What a joke! ).
Moving on, It is extremely noisy. Even with earplugs you will be woken up at 6.30am by the loud music playing from Honey bun Cafe that is located right below the bedroom.This is every single day of the week.
Asked for a refund for a third of the moth considering how awful it was and this was refused of course. Bohemian Lofts just want your money and do not care about the quality of what they are offering AT ALL. The only positive point i can find is the bed which is large and comfortable and there is wifi, awesome! Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank amyt662
BohemianLofts, Owner at Bohemian Lofts Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2017

Hello,

Please note that a new owner took over in November 2015 and we are now a backpackers rather than long term accommodation. You will see from the comments that things have changed and we hope that future guests have a better experience.

Regards
Management

Reviewed June 29, 2015

For those who on a regular basis read our reviews on trip advisor or on our blog you obviously know how positive we are, get ready this ends today.

Where to start?

That's the question I have to ask myself.
I'll firstly start with the neighbourhood, it is probably the worst place you can be in Cape Town, looking for crack, prostitutes/drug addict? That's the place. I can't blame homeless to be homeless as life can be sometimes cruel, but unfortunately the neighbourhood is crowded with them begging for money OR food OR drug.

Before even talking about the "place where you'll try to live" I'll talk about the restaurants/bars/coffeeshops of the area. That's nice during the day, a nightmare at night until 11a.m (yes you read well 11 AM (IN THE MORNING!!!))

Now enough talking about the area let's talk about the place. I truly think that people who hates their property should not be authorised to own one as I'm 99% sure the poor homeless outside would take better care of the place than the "owners". Except your money they will own nothing, neither responsibility, neither honour.

The floor of the bathroom was dirty with urine (I hope at least it was human urine), I'm not mentioning the chewing-gum stuck on the floor and which is probably older than the place itself. We had to buy Anti-bacterian product ON THE FIRST DAY. The best part I think is the shower curtain, this is probably one of the first shower curtain EVER manufactured in the whole history. Touching it gave me nausea. But don't you worry we've taken some photos, but VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED, do not watch them while eating.
Of course I have to give MEL credit for one thing, when on the Wednesday we arrive and mention the curtain, she straight away kindly told us she'll bring a new one on Friday, I have to say it's my bad I never ask which Friday of what year. 2 weeks later the curtain is still missing.

Let's talk about the room itself (oh yes we had the bathroom just for us "en suite" unfortunately except a gorilla it wouldn't suit anyone). We had to buy 70 decibel earplugs, and still with that we hear the noise. So I can deduct that the noise is somewhere around 70-100 depending on the time to give you an idea it's the equivalent of a food blender, or a plane at its cruise altitude. I wish I was lying unfortunately no...
I'd like to give you the timetable for the quiet moments:

From 12am to 2pm the noise was correct only a few cars (normal when you live in town)
From 2pm to 4am the noise is just too much first its the cars, then it's the bars/restaurants until 4am
From 4 to 6:30 am ENJOY there is no noise at all
From 6:30 to 12am there is the honeybun (cafe with horrible manager)downstairs that starts with POP music, we asked them kindly (we even bought a muffin to prove we are not that horrible (how someone bad can likes muffin I mean come on)) she told us that if we got a problem to go see the police that her business depends on the music (wow, what a poor business).

I would like to tell you to chose another room in their about (10 or 15 rooms apartment) unfortunately we went at night all inside the apartment to see if we were the only one affected, I'm afraid to admit that we were the most lucky.

We stayed from the 10th to the 29th (we left 2 days before the check out, it was that or hanging my self) of course MEL charged us from the 1st to the 30th.
We asked her, to be reimbursed for the first 10 days for customer satisfaction OF COURSE she answered no. But she found the gut to ask us to be not to negative about the place, so I'd like to set this straight with ALL of you dear readers: RUN as far away from that place this is a proper ...... I won't say it here.
We left there the anti-bactrian product think they'll need it.

I look forward to reading what she has to answer, but go through ALL my reviews find two negative, I don't think you can, that proves how horrible the place is.

Plenty GOOD places can be found around the same area with less homeless, more clean, and with great managers don't jump on the first place you see.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank philippealexandrea3

Hello,

Regards
Management

Reviewed April 26, 2015 via mobile

The Bohemian Lofts was my first encounter with a backpacker establishment and I really did not like it. This is not my idea of home away from home. I was part of a school group with a limited budget. As the busdriver I needed directions to the Bohemian Lofts. The receptionist was unable to assist. With inexpensive attention to detail the owners can transform the Bohemian Lofts to a more inviting environment. It looks worn down an neglected. The shredded curtains do not cover the full window and heaven behold I did not fall through the bathroom floor. The two positive remark I can make, is that the beds were clean and extremely comfortable and the shower had hot water. If that is your only criteria when backpacking, you can put the Bohemian Lofts on your shortlist.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2015

I had a great time in Cape Town despite the little accident, thanks to the lovely staff..
The hostel was our base camp for 10 days and it felt like home with a loving atmosphere.

Thank you girls for the lovely stay and your hospitality! =)

Pete and Niina

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2015 via mobile

Service was very average. We were not given information about check-in times. The staff were unhelpful and unfriendly. We did not feel welcome at all.the room was okay, very basic for the price. But lovely area with
beautiful architecture. They did not give us information about other attractions in Cape Town and were not well informed.

Date of stay: February 2015