“Most disappointing Lunch”
Review of Four & Twenty

Four & Twenty
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Wynberg
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Four & Twenty is a Cafe & Pantry. We have created a space in which the adoration of food is center stage and the utter joy of living is celebrated as a way of life. The food is as playful and quirky as it is passionate and skillful - and the menu changes often. Equally, the patisserie counter is a truly unique, creative explosion and is filled with unconventional yet traditional baked delights.
Reviewed May 13, 2019

This was our third visit to Four & Twenty. The decor and atmosphere are charming as is the service. Our previous visits were for breakfast and as we had really enjoyed their savory scones, we though lunch would be great.

My daughter ordered mussels and I ordered fish cakes. The mussels arrived attractively presented, accompanied by a bread twig. The mussels came in a watery broth that should have been reduced to give it some flavor. We always sample each others choices and I was more than disappointed with her mussel dish. The bread was okay.

My two fish cakes were large and accompanied by an "undressed" salad of mixed leaves, bits of apple and onion. It was accompanied by 3 sauces. The fish cakes were most disappointing, totally devoid of texture or seasoning. Of the 3 sauce accompaniments only one was okay. The salad totally miserable. We found the food poor to say the least and considering there were lots of Silwood Kitchen students walking around, we found this baffling.

This is the first time I have bothered to write a review on a restaurant but I really feel owners, who can't be everywhere, should know when standards have dropped so they can do something about it. They need to sample the food to see what their clients are paying for.

Date of visit: May 2019
fourandtwentycafe, Owner at Four & Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2019

Dear Rekattihw

Thank you for comments and for visiting us for a third time :) I am thrilled to hear that we made such a good impression on your previous visits and that you enjoyed your breakfasts and savoury scones!

Thank you for appreciating our service as well as decor/atmosphere, however I am devastated to hear you didn't enjoy your two meals when you last visited us.

The mussel broth is usually packed with flavours of lemongrass, coconut, chilli and ginger, the 3 x fish cake dipping sauces should each be exciting and delicious. The 'Man-Sized Fishcakes' is still one our most popular lunch dishes and is usually the dish that so many of our regulars return for each time they visit. From your feedback it sounds like we dropped the ball with your two dishes and you did not experience them how they should have been prepared or at their best. I feel as though certain key elements on these dishes may have been forgotten and mistakes like these are totally unacceptable. I would love the opportunity to hopefully make it up to you and your daughter and would love for you to join us again for lunch so we can prove to you that we can do better than this. We started off as a very popular breakfast and brunch spot and have gratefully been becoming more and more popular for lunch! Please do take me up on the offer when you feel like a lovely treat out with your daughter. You can be in touch me on tracy@fourandtwentycafe.co.za.

Thank you again for your feedback. I truly hope we could have assisted and rectified things with you on the day of your visit to have avoided an online conservation, however rather late than never :)

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kindest Regards
Tracy-Leigh Gaag

P.S I would so appreciate it if you could provide me with a little more information so I am able to investigate this matter further. I am very interested to know when you came to dine with us and if you could give me some sort of indication of who your waitron for the day was. I have spoken at great length with my managers as well as my chefs, and we can't recall a complaint of this nature. We take reviews like yours very seriously and investigate each (unfortunate) incident as far as possible to ensure that we iron out any errors whether it's the food, service or any other error on our part to ensure that we tackle it immediately to avoid anything like this to ever happen to another one of our beloved customers. Please would you be so kind as to send me an e-mail to tracy@fourandtwentycafe.co.za with any further details.

Reviewed May 8, 2019

Different food options. Pricy but very good. Different combinations of food on the menu but it was a good experience.

Date of visit: April 2019
fourandtwentycafe, Owner at Four & Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2019

Thank you so much HelenFourie. We look forward to seeing you again soon :)

Reviewed May 4, 2019

It was 13h30 on Friday and I had a half-hour to spare and thought that Four & Twenty would be a pleasant place to spend it.

First impressions were very good and I liked the casual atmosphere and the relaxed décor. The greeting was warm and I chose a seat at one of the bay windows looking out onto the street. The menus were brought and all was going well.

I first enquired of the waiter what the "seasonal fruits" for the "freshly squeezed" drink were, only to be told that it was: Kale and Carrots and some other VEGETABLES ?!?! I ordered the freshly squeezed Orange Juice. A different Server came to me about 10 minutes later to tell me that there isn't any "freshly squeezed" Orange Juice and that I can have the "almost freshly squeezed" Kale and Carrot juice combination out of a bottle instead. Now, I don't own or run a Restaurant; but how difficult can it be to buy a bag of Oranges to "freshly squeeze" ?? I ordered the Lemonade - which arrived about 15 minutes later at which point I tried to order a Chicken Mayonnaise toasted sandwich; but was told by the Server that I needed to do that with the Waiter. I finally managed to place my order with the Waiter and the sandwich arrived - at this point I had been there for 45 minutes already - so much for the half-hour that I had to spare !!

The sandwich arrived and although it was very tasty, the toast was very hard and even burnt in places. I also wanted to add some salt and pepper to the Avocado that comes on top of the Chicken Mayonnaise sandwich; but these are served in a flat, open dish – so that you have to pinch it out of the dish with your fingers – this is just weird for me – how many other fingers have been in the salt and pepper before I am expected to stick mine in too – and more importantly, how clean were those fingers ???? The sandwich also cost R110-00 – which, in my opinion, is rather excessive – especially as I can get a Chicken Mayonnaise sandwich at the work Canteen for R17-50 !!

So, would I go back to Four & Twenty again – probably not.

Date of visit: May 2019
fourandtwentycafe, Owner at Four & Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2019

Dear Stranger_and_Pilgrim

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. I am so sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your service and food when you visited us on Friday. I wish we had known of this at the time so we could have fixed it for you right there and then. I have done a thorough investigation to try to get to the bottom of what happened during your visit on Friday 3rd May at 13:30. Your designated server was Kerbie, a Four and Twenty 'Gem'. :)

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere as well as our decor, I am also very happy to hear that you received a warm welcome when you walked in and that my servers attended to you promptly - as it should be.

I'm happy to explain a little more about Four & Twenty's freshly squeezed juices vs the alternative juices that were offered to you. We order 40kg oranges every day which is then freshly squeezed here at the cafe. Unfortunately we are not always able to gauge exactly how many oranges we will go through in a day, so on some occasions, we do unfortunately sell out of the orange juice. It sounds like the service may have been a little slow in communicating this between the server who first attended to you and your waitron Kerbie and for this, I would like to extend our deepest apologies on behalf of Four and Twenty as well as the two servers involved in serving you during this time.
In addition to our freshly squeezed orange juice, we also have our freshly squeezed seasonal juice made up of Kale, Apple, Pineapple and Mint. We also offer our 'Raw Pressed' juices of which we have 4 flavours, each flavour contains a number of different fruits and vegetables. These juices are freshly squeezed and delivered to us every morning and they have always been a very popular juice option, even though they are not freshly squeezed on site.

From a restaurant owner's perspective, we learn as we go and figure out what works best with our available resources. This is my sixth year running and it is always quite a 'balancing act' to meet our beloved customers needs whilst keeping in mind other attributing factors such as wastage, available storage and most importantly quality of the end product.

I am thrilled to hear that you found the Chicken Mayonnaise Sandwich tasty! I'm sorry to hear that your toast may have been burnt in places. Please know that in any situation where a customer is not happy with any part of the meal, we will gladly replace this for you as quickly as possible. I do understand your time restraint on this day, so in your situation I am very sorry there wasn't time for you to alert your waitron or my manager on duty. The same goes for the salt and peppers on the tables. We always have pepper and salt grinders upon request as we do understand that some guests would prefer to use a grinder instead of the pinch bowls.

All in all we NEVER want a customer to leave Four & Twenty feeling less than impressed. When you have some time to spare, please allow us the opportunity to make this up to you. You definitely did not enjoy a true Four & Twenty experience and we would love to prove this to you if you allow for a 'next time'.

Hopefully we will see you again.

Again, our deepest apologies from the entire Four & Twenty Team.

Kindest Regards

The Owner

Reviewed April 10, 2019

Lovely little restaurant specialists in breakfast dishes. A warm welcome from the busy staff, we sat in the little semi open alcove at the back. My wife picked a fried egg, bacon, mushrooms and a Croissant, and I took poached eggs with Hollandaise sauce, crispy bacon and cherry toms. Their helpings are very generous, and immaculately cooked with the sauce picture perfect. With two pots of tea we were more than satisfied. The smiling hostess Tracy Leigh ever present & charming. Bill came to R230.00 Good value especially for the quality, let alone quantity.

Date of visit: April 2019
fourandtwentycafe, Owner at Four & Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2019

Thank you so much for your very kind words! We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

I have visited this cosy little cafe on multiple occasions mostly ordering tea and a pastry from their lovely selection at the front. However, about two weeks ago, I suggested two of my friends to have lunch there and I was more than slightly disappointed. I ordered the ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ loving the pun. When it came, my toast was extremely hard to cut and chew, although when I did get to the softer parts, it was a good slice of bread. The ham was colossally too dry, I think it could have been burnt and this completely ruined the dish. The eggs were cooked well but the green source was a little bit odd and I’m usually not a fussy eater at all. The meal was doable but I would never have it again and would warn people against ordering it. Other than that, my friends seemed to enjoy their food. The muffins are apparently divine. The service was also commendable considering it was so busy. I will be back to try more meals on their menu, but if I’m disappointed again, I’ll likely not be back, which would be a shame because I do think Four & Twenty is a gem.

Date of visit: March 2019
fourandtwentycafe, Owner at Four & Twenty, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2019

Dear Rachel

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about this! The 'Green Eggs and Ham' breakfast is our most popular breakfast (after our 'Eggs Belicious') and a dish that we get rave reviews for on a daily basis.

Thank you for your kind words with regards to the rest of your visit as well as your friends' wonderful comments. I am relieved that you have so many positive things to say about my cafe. Our Four and Twenty team are trained to send out food of only the absolute BEST quality, taking care and precision in every dish that is sent out of the kitchens. Clearly we fell short with your dish on the day you visited us and for that I can only offer my most sincere apology.

I would love to make it up to you if you're open to it. I would love for you to try the 'Green Eggs and Ham' dish as I am devastated it was not made/received in it's true form. It is meant to be absolutely delicious with perfectly crisped hickory ham and served with perfect toast and hollandaise that has been delicately flavoured with fresh basil leaves. Something went horribly wrong and we'd love to make this for you again. I also understand if you'd like something else, so totally up to you and you're welcome to make your decision on the day.

If you would like to take me up on it, please let me know when you plan to visit so I can make the necessary arrangements for you. I truly hope to see you soon and again, I am so sorry for your disappointment.

Warmest Regards