“Very good, hard to beat for the price”

Novotel Auckland Ellerslie Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Greenlane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Very good, hard to beat for the price”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I often stay Ellerslie area in Auckland for business as close to our office. Usually stay Ibis next door (3.5 star) and this was first time in more upmarket Novotel (4/4.5 star). If you don't know, both hotels are part of Accor Group and these two share common reception/restaurant/bar etc. facilities. Novotel rooms and bathroom are most spacious, unlike Ibis which is cramped. Excellent bedding and desk/computer connection facilites BUT as per Ibis next door the internet service which is outsourced to some outside provider is very hit & miss. I took a week package with 7000mB allowance and within 2 days it was asking me to pay more despite me being nowhere near the limit. Reception got it reset for me OK, but then not long after it was asking me did I want to slow my speed as I was close to the limit - again wrong ! So So So annoying !! Apart from this gripe everything else about Novotel is very good. Another advantage for Novotel over Ibis next door is that Novotel does not face busy road - very quiet. Really enjoy the bar area. In-house restaurant ok but better quality and value outside. Service from hotel staff also very good. All in all for the price the Novotel Ellerslie is very good value stay in Auckland.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Colin M, Manager at Novotel Auckland Ellerslie Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We do appreciate your effort to share your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Another pleasant stay. I could have stayed in a 5 star city hotel cheaper than last night cost me. The very handy location is its main selling point, if you are doing business this side of town it’s very well located, it’s right on a motorway and pretty close to the airport.

I arrived late at about 2.30am (thanks to Qantas) and the guy on the front desk could not have been nicer. He was still on shift when I left the next morning and he said good morning to me by name which impressed me.

I have always found the rooms clean and in good condition. I don’t like the bathroom much as the water from the shower always ends up all over the place thanks to the small glass ‘door’ which is tiny. I always smile at how hotels are some of the most environmentally conscience groups there are, I wonder if it’s because it saves them money? They can save some more here though, they throw out the hand basin soap each day, what a waste. Leave a small holder (there is nowhere at the moment to place the soap) and the soap can live to see another day. You can tell I think this place is pretty good when a comment about soap features so heavily!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side facing the horse complex, they are quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments and thoughts on our hotel. We were pleased to read of the service your experienced with our night team. On the issue of soap in the bathrooms; yes, it would save money if we were to re-use the soap in the rooms, but we believe most guests prefer to know that the soap they use has not been used by anyone else. We are very mindful of this, and hence we provide individual packaging for the soap. Thank you again.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have often stayed at Novotel Ellerslie and always enjoy it. A handy location right by the motorway. The view looking out from the rooms is lovely with the beautiful huge palm trees. The restaurant is also good and staff friendly. However we did find this time that the bathrooms are getting very tired and need an update. My husband found the bed uncomfortable and woke up with a sore back after sleeping on a "bump" in the bed. He had to slip right down in the bed to avoid it. The cleaner was impatient to come and service the room and couldn't wait a few more minutes for us to vacate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for your comments. We were sorry to read that your bed was uncomfortable and you felt rushed by a member of our team. Neither of these issues are acceptable, and we will address them. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My son and I stayed there for two nights and were very happy with the room, the courteous staff and the friendly service. Initially, we had trouble booking online as the website would not accept our bookings. I then booked through another website and then received an email from Novotel that I had booked two rooms for two nights. I rang them and was told that there was a problem with their website, however they immediately corrected the mistake. To compensate me for any inconvenience, they included free breakfasts ($32 each) for the two mornings - impressive service! The room was clean and the beds were excellent. The hotel also has a well equipped gym with free off street parking, a real plus in Auckland!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the high scores you gave our hotel. We were very happy to read your comments; particularly your thoughts on the service you received following a rare website error. Thank you.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Travelled to Auckland from Australia for my mothers 80th birthday celebrations and stayed 4 nights over the Easter long weekend and found the place pleasing enough , the rooms were very good and the service was as well. Hotel management needs to take care of the young teenagers that hang about the front entrance which does not present a good first impression . Our first night , there was a function in the grounds opposite the hotel and that evening there were young kids absolutely drunk out of their brains stopping cars by standing in the middle of the roundabout swearing and blocking your way through . We had some concerns for our rental car that was parked in the back there for fear of damages and scratches and made it known to the front hotel staff on duty . Thank god there was no concerns for that evening apart from my sister and husband returning and being subjected to a brown eye (guy pulling pants down and showing his rear end) right in front of the hotel . The next morning there were drunken shirtless louts mulling about the front entrance and one even sleeping on the bench . Admittedly for the next three nights it was much quieter and more enjoyable . As I said the rooms were great but being subjected to that type of drunken behavior and having to worry about your safety when you park down the back roads is something the management needs to address .

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. It is unfortunate that you experienced behaviour that made you feel uncomfortable and concerned for the safety of your car. We assure you this is extremely rare and generally related to specific events held nearby. The safety and security of our guests remains of paramount importance to us. Thank you for highlighting your concerns.
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I think this is a very well managed hotel and at a reasonable price. I will choose to stay it next time. I have stayed at Novotel for two nights, and would like to transfer to ibis, your staff help me smoothly transferred and even moved my luggage to new room. your staff are always eyes on the costumers, trying to provided good service to them. I was impressed by this attitude. Thanks for offering such good service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for your comments and thoughts on the service provided by our team. We are very proud of the passion for service that our frontline team members display on a consistent basis, and we are thankful that you were able to experience this. Thank you.
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed April 2, 2013

One night stay in a very clean, comfortable room. Staff were very helpful and courteous and helped me sign up to the Accor Club. Very handy location for us, just off the motorway (as we came from the South) and close to the Easter Show the next day. We ordered room service which arrived in a very timely fashion but wasn't up to the standards expected of such highly priced meals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear that you have joined Le Club and will start to earn and redeem membership points. Thank you for your comments on our staff and the handy location of our hotel for events at ASB Showgrounds. We were sorry to read of your experience of room service. This comments have been shared with our team. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenlane
Ibis Auckland Ellerslie
The Langham, Auckland
#5 of 67 in Auckland
Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour
Best Western Ellerslie Ellerslie International

Been to Novotel Auckland Ellerslie Hotel? Share your experiences!