“excellent dining experience”

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“excellent dining experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

met up with friends for a seasonal reunion meal. The Chequers was a great convivial venue.The immediate reception was very welcoming. Our table was in a good central place. The waiting staff were very attentive and efficient.Questions as to the source point of the fish on the menu was readily answered. The quality of the food was first class . The fish dishes especially were of exceptional quality. The price of our meals was not at all over the top and was very good value for the quality of the food served.
It is without any doubt that I would recommend this restaurant for a thoroughly enjoyable meal.
tjfclily

Visited December 2013

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Poor and rude”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had visited this pub a few weeks ago as a couple an received a decent meal thought expensive for what it was. We returned this weekend with a group of friend to give it another go. However we really should not of bothered...

Its true what other reviews state about the lack of service / welcome from the landlady. We were ignored on our initial arrival - despite being a group of 6 and then looked over before a member of the party said we have a reservation.

We were shown to our table which was a long one put along the route to the loo's and was drafty and cold. Not a good start. We ordered drinks from a waiter whose grasp of English was poor and on bringing the drinks managed to spill a lot of a pint of coke over the table and menu I was reading. He failed to notice until I said...excuse me do you have a cloth? He then turned and said - there was to much coke in the glass. I mean, I don't care - you spilled it you clean it up and apologise!

After this on ordering a starter and a main, the starter was brought out and I realized it had bread crumbs on it. Not being able to eat gluten I asked for it to be sent back and a bread free version brought. The waitress to her credit was very good and came back with the information that all sauces in the pub have flour them in. Disappointing - what is wrong with corn flour these days?? This then resulted in me having to change the main order of curry as apparently a lot of flour in that sauce as well...hmmm...

I was brought a steak instead which was good but had a MASSIVE side of chips and some watercress masqueraded as a salad. It was good, but not worth the £17.50 price tag. My friends meals where ordinary to say the least - roasts and another curry. The curry was mostly rice and the greasiest poppadoms I have ever seen. Needless to say my friend left a lot of hers...lucky escape there I think.

The desserts again - dated and expensive at £6.95 for what they are. A friends cream catalan looked straight from the 70's and was poorly cooked. I noticed as well as they had not even bothered to change the title on their sweet menu - its still 'The Vienna'. Strange.

Overall - we will not be returning to this charmless place. For what is a lovely pub - the sour faced landlady and poorly trained staff, coupled with the menu stuck in the 80's at high end prices just does not tick any boxes. It was expensive for what it is. Also - look out for the none itemized bills - we had to ask them to remove the started i did not eat as surprise surprise that was left on the menu.

If you want a good pub - I would not suggest this one. Please stop trying to turn a once great pub into a restaurant.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank becky d
Odiham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“40 Years at The Chequers”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've been going to The Chequers for nearly 40 years and live nearby. It has had its ups and downs. The only consistent thing in the last 30 or so years has been the Badgers Beer. The new decor takes a bit of getting used to, more restaurant than pub but luckily there is some room for us locals to stand and drink - long may that continue. The pub is clean and smart if lacking the old furniture that gave it some of its character. There seemed to be rather a lot of people from Farnham visiting when I went last, and very smart they looked. They might need to come ready to push their cars along the lane if it snows a lot this winter. Not sure the local shoot with dogs and boots will find it so congenial and I can't expect this landlord to run me home after a good evening! I stayed away for sometime because of the lack of a welcome and warmth but now I am visiting again. The mussels were particularly good although I have yet to venture into the dining room where I last enjoyed an undercooked pheasant 25 years ago - must be time to try it again - but please don't chill the beer.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Simon L
Farnham, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Getting better clearly”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We visited for lunch and ordered two ploughman's lunches - all delivered quickly and good portions. We were half expecting to receive a grumpy welcome having read reports - but the welcome was warm, and no problem. The decor is nicer than before, and I recognised some glassware from the Vienna Restaurant in Farnham (from which the owners arrived this year). I'd have changed the music (a busy jazz session) for something a bit more in keeping with the setting but that would be my only gripe. A good meal. We will return.

Visited October 2013
Farnham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

From arriving at the front of the inn, where a member of staff was cleaning the area and gave a friendly greeting, the visit was pure enjoyment. The staff were friendly yet professional; the ambience just lovely - cosy, low beams etc; food delicious. Prices fair.
Very small gripes - tomato salad had not been dressed so flavours not fused. Bread not great. Chips just ok. But everything else perfect.
Definitely will return.

Visited October 2013

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!