“personal attacks are not what trip advisor is about!”
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Well
surrey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“personal attacks are not what trip advisor is about!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had being going to the vienna for many years and since they have re-located we have visited weekly and find the same high levels of food and service. However the recent personal attacks on trip advisor are not what a review is about, how would you feel about somebody going to your workplace and being critical about you?

2 Thank Mike S

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great food, in very busy pub”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We dined here a few weeks ago, the place was very very busy. Food was lovely, and staff on we're pleasant but clearly stretched. Great evening had by us, we will be back

2 Thank Terriann1956
Farnham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“More of the same!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had been taken to the Chequers for lunch (in the bar) a few weeks back and it seemed to tick all the boxes. Based on this visit, I decided to take my wife there for a wedding anniversary meal. We were 'greeted' by 'the landlady' but quickly passed on to be shown to our table. The evening seemed to get off to one of those odd starts with a little too much tooing and froing back into the kitchens and I suspect that all may not have been happy in there for some reason. Before we ordered, we were asked if we would mind moving tables to accommodate some mix up with a booking (or maybe just to get another largish table in) and we had no problem with that (perhaps that was the kitchen issue).
The landlady came to take our order (perhaps that is the way she likes it) but both my wife and I commented when she left just how forcefully she had snatched back the menus out of our hands. That may sound a bit of a picky comment - but when it happens, you know it just doesn't feel right. The resetting of our table was a bit of a disaster with some cutlery the wrong way round, some dropped and a bit too much 'leaning across'. I'm not sure that you can blame the waiting staff for that if they may not have been shown in the first place. Then no finger bowl with the sizzling prawns (to be eaten by hand). I am beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew but when you eat at a restaurant with top dollar prices, you expect that everything else should come up to that level.
We could not fault the food - it was very good - but there was just too much else to distract from the whole experience. I was not expecting a cheap night out but when I pay £27.50 for a Dover Sole I rather object to having to pay extra for all veg / potatoes, etc. It took my main course to nearly £35.00.
As we were leaving, the landlady was coincidentally following behind us returning to the bar from a restaurant table. I deliberately said nothing, expecting a 'hope you enjoyed yourselves' or a 'thank you so much for moving tables for us' (a complimentary something would not have gone astray) - but absolutely nothing. Having just spent a few pounds short of £100 on a Monday evening, I must say that I had expected a little more.
There is so much choice around here that I doubt we will return. Worse still, our 'experience' will get passed on to our friends - what a waste of a great venue and good food.

7 Thank Noel F
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“The landlady's not for smiling!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We're local and popped in for a drink early on a Friday evening. We had heard that this pub/restaurant had changed hands yet again in the last few months (has had more managers than Chelsea football club in recent years!) and thought we'd have a look at the menu too as a possible eatery. We were welcomed to a perfect example of how not to be in the restaurant industry. The owner looked us up and down with a face like thunder, asked us what we wanted without a hint of welcome to my establishment that I want you to enjoy and return to. We went to sit at a table that wasn't laid or had a reserved card on and were curtly told we couldn't sit there as all tables were booked. She then pointed us to a tiny bench seat en-route to the toilets (she's all heart!). Not to mention that the front door was wide open in front of her (assume that was for her benefit) allowing us to shiver. Needless to say we drank quickly, read the menu, which in fairness although far to large did look reasonable. Anyway Mrs Landlady, you need not concern yourself as you'll not be seeing us again or I would imagine, many others that you treat in the same manner. We'll just wait until the next management (hopefully more convivial or at least friendly) come along and then try again!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank MWLANDSVB
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful pub and food”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Me and my partner have been to this pub a few times now since it has been taken over in the last couple of months. We can't fault it the food is fresh and really good lovely selection of fish too. The staff are very friendly and helpful but would defiantly book a table as gets very busy.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 1Trebor1

Been to Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!