Coral Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cafe Central(Mozambique Island)
$54
$38
Jardim dos Aloes(Mozambique Island)
$154
$149
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Escondidinho(Mozambique Island)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewslocal villagethe managersilha de mozambiquedinner on the beachlow tideday triplocal womenstayed for nightsan amazing placepiece of paradisedelicious foodtravel agentidyllic locationabsolute paradisethank you very muchdream come trueair condition
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We recently stayed for three nights at Coral Lodge. The setting is simply magnificent. The concept (rustic chic) is just what it should be. The problem, however, is maintenance, care, quality of services and variety of food and beverages, considering that it brands itself as a five star.
Although it is only four years old, the signs of wear and tire are everywhere: bulbs for outdoor illumination are not replaced; the choice for food and beverages (even outside of the all-inclusive package), extremely limited; the only land vehicle, broken.
As a result of the latter, the very expensive transfer between Nampula Airport and the Lodge (USD 250 each way) does not take two hours but three and a half, and is not done on a 4WD (as promised) but on any available car driven by a local guy, combined with a lengthy boat ride (between 40 minutes and one hour) on board of a characterful dhow that is otherwise in really bad shape (water sneaking in from the bottom has to be piled out through the journey), very slow and without any protection from sun or rain, that almost always require a wet landing (that no one from the reservation office warns you about) due to the constant changes in tides.
From what we learned, it has very low occupation through the year and there have been 7 couples in charge of managing the lodge in the past two years. At the time of our visit, a very nice Belgian couple in charge was about to leave prematurely after only four months in the job. Something must be happening. It is a shame that a lodge with so much potential is not well taken care of.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeorgeL368
Neil M, Managing Director at Coral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear GeorgeL368,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent visit to Coral Lodge 15.41. We appreciate all feedback – positive and negative – using this to improve the experience we offer at Coral Lodge and can assure you that all the issues raised have been taken seriously by the lodge owners, who are currently at Coral Lodge overseeing the operation. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations and hope we will be able to make this up to you in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We spent our spring holiday at Coral Lodge this year together with our 8-year old daughter and enjoyed every second of it!

The lodge is a good 2 hours’ drive from the airport, which indeed is chaotic, as every airport in Africa. However we were on our way in the car within 30 minutes after landing. The drive itself was pleasant and with the explanation we enjoyed it very much. Another 25 minutes by boat, which was also waiting for us, and we touched ground at the lodge. Wading through ankle-deep seawater of around 30° is the perfect way to start a vacation…

It is without any doubt one of the most idyllic places we’ve ever seen: a beautiful white beach, crystal blue see and no sign of the industrialized western world we come from.

We had a magnificent beach-side house, overlooking the ocean, where they’ve set up a second bed ready for our daughter. The lodge itself is a successful mixture of luxury an authenticity with very friendly staff, always eager to help you out. Carrying your own luggage is not an option, as I found out :-)

We came here for a relaxing holiday, which we certainly got, but we ended up doing quite some activities: I went for a scuba dive, which was really great. You can see that there is a lot of fishing in the area, but the water is crystal clear and there is plenty to see. Our daughter did a dive initiation in the pool, which was handled very well by the instructor. We also went picnicking under the local baobab tree and by local sailboat to the uninhabited island nearby. Even though the word picnic doesn’t quite cover the experience: the only thing they didn’t bring were a table and chairs, but apart from that it was like we were at a restaurant on the beach.

The food is a great mixture of styles, from local Mozambican to Western over Asian, but always with fresh, local ingredients. And the chef is very open to adapting the menu in case you prefer something else (Our daughter will eat almost everything, but does enjoy French fries as well)

We used to walk by the kitchen every day to see what had arrived that day: king fish, tuna, red snapper, duck, seashells, octopus or squid. Great to see that what you get on your plate in the evening, has only been caught that same morning.

We also visited the local village Cabaçeira. Mozambique is a poor country and that is clearly visible here as well. But at the same time it is great to see that the people have enough to eat here are happy. We had quite a large group of children following us, but no one was begging.
The lodge has brought electricity to the village, employs a large part of the staff from here and invests heavily in the local school. We ran into some members of the staff here, who were very proud to show their house and television, which makes you put things back into perspective.

I could go on for quite some time, about our evening dinner on the beach with a full moon, the canoe trip in the Mangrove delta on the other side, our visit to Ilha, my first attempt in the kitchen at cutting up a 12kg yellow-fin tuna, which tasted great that evening (thank you Carlos) and the Easter-egg hunt for our daughter and the other children.

A big thank you to Bart, Alexandra, Thijs and the entire staff of Coral Lodge for making this a perfect holiday experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Guy_Belgium
Neil M, Managing Director at Coral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Guy,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay at Coral Lodge 15.41. I am glad you got to take advantage of so much of what the lodge has to offer - your picnic sounds amazing. Your complimentary remarks regarding our staff and services are sincerely appreciated. We hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to Mozambique.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Coral Lodge 15.41 is an exceptional all inclusive hotel and well worth the journey to get there, in fact we thought that sailing on the dhow to the hotel and having to wade ashore was an experience in its self, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

The food was some of the best we have ever been served in Mozambique with a great choice to suit everyone’s palate, and having breakfast on your own deck overlooking the Indian Ocean was superb.

The house wine was excellent and there were was a very good choice of beers and soft drinks, some spirits were extra but not overly expensive.

Although the management team, a French couple we believe, had left only weeks before our arrival, the two guys left running the hotel, John and Francois, were exceptional and could not do enough to make out stay enjoyable. In our opinion they would make a great permanent management team for Coral Lodge.

All of the staff were delightful and there to help in everyway they could, nothing was too much trouble for them. Domingos one of the waiters would not have disappointed in a top hotel anywhere in the world, he would make a fine Maitre d’.

The Internet connection was outstanding whilst we were there and extremely rare for this part of Africa.

The Villas are fitted out to the highest standards and every comfort had been thought through carefully, the bathrooms with bath and shower were excellent and the hot water was plentiful. The bed was as comfortable as you would wish with quiet Air Con above.

Your private decking area has loungers, chairs and tables, all with comfortable cushions, ideal to laze away the day or have any or all your meals served there, if you so wish.

Truly a place to relax, but lots to do if your are that way inclined, in particular canoeing up the lagoon at high tide was a lovely way to spend an afternoon, snorkelling is available as are other water sports.

We took a walk to the local village where many of the staff live and were met by a horde of children who escorted us around, they were a delight and to see the Well which was dug by Vasco de Gama over 5 hundred years ago was amazing, apparently it has never stopped producing fine clear drinking water in all those years.

We also toured the Ilha de Mozambique with James our guide, all included in the hotels all inclusive package, The Museum was really interesting as was the Fortress with is old rusting canons and cells where the Slaves were housed. The oldest European building in the Southern hemisphere is a church, which stands at the edge of the sea overlooked by the forbidding walls of the fortress.

This really is a wonderful place to experience the history of Mozambique and to have such a superb hotel so close just makes this a must have on your bucket list.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beachfront Villa with a lovely sea breeze and wonderful sunrise's every morning
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CookRE
Neil M, Managing Director at Coral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Good day

Thanks for the wonderful feedback on your recent stay at Coral Lodge 15.41. Your complimentary remarks regarding our staff and services are sincerely appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed the various activities available and we hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to Mozambique.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I'd love to write a glowing report and only say nice things about Coral Lodge but that is why I was disappointed in the first place. I had read glowing reviews on Trip Advisor and expected far too much. In the end, it was a perfectly lovely place but not one I would ever return to.

Our family traveled to Coral Lodge for four nights in January. Coral Lodge takes a long time to get to. That is not the fault of Coral Lodge, it is the fault of our travel agent who did not disclose this to us. When you factor in the two hour flight from South Africa, with the utter chaos of Nampula Airport, to the 2.5 hour drive, followed by a 30-60 minute boat ride - for us, it didn't warrant the effort. And that isn't fair to Coral Lodge as they want their guests to know this so that the guests aren't frustrated or put out.

Another thing not mentioned by our travel agent was depending on the tide when you arrive, you may be required to wade into shore - up to quite a ways. The water is shallow and calm, but unless you are anticipating this and dressed properly, it can be a bit of an annoyance. Again, its all a matter of educating the guest as to what to expect.

Once we made it to Coral Lodge it was very pleasant and tasteful. The main lodge is spacious and comfortable. It has a nice relaxed feeling to it. There is a library with board games where you can also get Internet access. The pool area is very pretty and has views on to the beach and the lagoon. It was not at all crowded so there were always seats handy. They would also move chairs down to the beach, if you preferred. The beach is lovely and goes on and on. Its quite amazing how far the tide goes out and you can walk for ages. There are lots of pretty shells. The lagoon was a bit murky. I didn't try snorkelling there but my husband said it wasn't very clear.

The villas are nice and spacious. Ours was a two bedroom one. It was one of the last ones on the Lagoon side. It was very quiet. I think I would chose an ocean front one as then you'd get a lovely breeze. The villa had a table & chairs, a small bar fridge with complimentary drinks, a lovely four poster bed with mosquito nets and a seating area. There was a small bedroom with two twin beds for our sons. The bathroom was lovely in design and very aesthetically pleasing. The small bedroom had air conditioning but the rest of the villa didn't. The King bed had a special cooling system that cooled the bed and it was quite pleasant. We used the fan to cool down the rest of the room, but AC would have been nice as it was quite muggy. I think that Coral Lodge was very nicely designed and felt luxurious but not overdone.

The staff were very pleasant and obliging but there was definitely a language barrier. They did try very hard and always had a big smile. The Management team was useless. They were very detached and had very little to do with you. At one point I wanted to buy some aftersun lotion which was behind the bar. I went to the office and asked the manager to assist me. Instead he redirected me back to the bar (30 feet away) to look for a staff member. I then had to search around for 5 minutes trying to find someone to assist me. I have no idea why he wouldn't just help me, he certainly wasn't busy. It wasn't that the Management team were unpleasant but it was like they were socially awkward and avoided you as much as possible. One of the owners from Holland was there and he seemed like a pleasant man. He was the one that stressed to me how he wished the travel agents would divulge that it was a trek to get there.

The food was quite good at Coral Lodge. The chef was very friendly and wanted you to be happy. He also tried to accommodate our son, who is fussy. Unfortunately sometimes it got lost in translation and we'd all end up with the kid friendly version. We had a nice seafood platter one night and I also enjoyed when they did some local dishes. Wine and beverages were included. Apparently they will also make you picnics and take you to small islands to enjoy them. We did not do this but a couple we met there highly recommended it. They also set up a dinner on the beach one night for a group that were celebrating a birthday.

It was very relaxing at Coral Lodge which we enjoyed. We basically lay on the beach or went to the pool. One day I had a foot treatment and my son had a facial. We enjoyed both. They did them in our room so we did not see the spa. We also went scuba diving one day with their Dive Master, Martin. Martin was very affable. The first time we went out the wind picked up and we decreed it was too rough. He was very good natured about it and we cancelled. The next day we set out again. I was a bit apprehensive that it would be worthwhile as the water is very overfished by the locals. It was crystal clear and as we went out in the boat I didn't see a single fish. However I was happily proved incorrect and we saw some lovely coral and lots of brightly coloured fish. The boat staff we all very lovely and always had a smile for you.

As mentioned in earlier posts, things move at a very slow pace at Coral Lodge. A piece of wood broke on the path and three days later it was still unfixed. That was with the owner onsite so I can only imagine the pace when he is not there. But we enjoyed having nothing to do after the hectic pace of having been on safari.

One thing that I would advise you, is if you are travelling home Internationally, do not fly home the same day as you are departing Coral Lodge. It makes for a very long journey. (again the fault of our travel agent, not Coral Lodge) . We were flying back to Canada via London. It was already a 34 hour journey combined with the layovers, however the trip from Coral Lodge back to Johannesburg added another 10 hours to the journey for a total of 44 hours.

Mozambique is a very poor country. Nampula Airport is horrible. The man in front of me in Security actually handed the x-ray machine person a handful of cash. I was relieved he wasn't on my flight! My husband got pulled over for some rocks that we had bought in Cape Town for $10. They tried to convince him to give them a bribe but he told them to keep the rocks. They then handed him back the rocks and went after some poor Asian man who looked more pliant. We were relieved to leave Mozambique. There is talk of a new airport being opened much closer to Coral Lodge due to some mining developments. That would certainly make it a much more attractive venture. In the end, there was nothing wrong with Coral Lodge, we just felt it wasn't worth the effort to get there.

Room Tip: I would suggest ocean front to take advantage of the breeze.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank PursegirlVancouver
Neil M, Managing Director at Coral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Good day

Thank you very much for the feedback on your recent stay at Coral Lodge. It is very important for the agents to advise clients of the travelling times and distances and perhaps that could have changed your entire holiday. Thank you for the feedback as this allows us to monitor our service levels to guests.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Coral Lodge 15.41 (they insist on these two numbers which indicate their latitude and longitude coordinates) occupies a unique position insofar as it is (to my knowledge) the only place that provides luxury accommodation, within a tranquil and blissful beach setting, in close proximity to a place charged with history -- the Island of Mozambique, which for centuries was the capital of Portuguese East Africa and retains to this day a lot of beautiful, though often dilapidated, historical buildings. In a way, the little sister of Zanzibar's stone town, unfortunately too often neglected by travellers to Africa, of simply not known of, which is a pity.

I was fortunate to be given a tour of the old town in Ilha de Mocambique by Alex, the owner's wife, who was visiting from Holland and whose knowledge of the place's history only equals her passion for the country and its people. The visit to Ilha and its old town (including the museum which in contrast to many buildings IS well preserved and contains furniture centuries old, giving you the impression you are visiting a 16th century castle in Europe) is a must. So is a visit to the village of Cabaceira Grande, on the mainland, with what appears to be the oldest church in the Southern Hemisphere where services are still performed.

The lodge is well located on a strip of land between the open sea and a mangrove lagoon, which offers an ideal natural pool for swimming as well as the opportunity to explore the mangrove by kayak, at your own pace and leisure -- just be careful not to get stranded as the tide recedes! The open sea is of a beautiful turquoise blue at high tide; at low tide the sea recedes quite far so the lagoon (or for the more conservative ones the pool) may be a better option for swimming.

I also had chances to dive with the lodge's helpful and enthusiastic new dive instructor, Martin. The water is warm and clear though divers should not expect to see the abundance of marine life or the underwater formations they can see in other parts of the country (there are a lot of locals fishing around, and that depletes somewhat the marine life). But to me travellers should go to Coral Lodge for the location, more than for the dive sites.

Staff was attentive and helpful; Carlos the chef always delivers excellent food, and the chalets extremely comfortable (the cooling system for the beds was so welcome in particular as I travelled in a hot period of the year). The transfer to and from Ilha is enjoyable as you are taken in an engine-fitted dhow (the traditional wooden crafts of the East African coast). Visitors must however be aware that it can take time, especially at low tide as the boat has a lot of sandbanks to avoid. This is indeed the only suggestion I would like to make to the lodge owners: Invest in additional boating equipment, as during my visit there was only one functioning boat (the engine-fitted dhow). It was fine as for most of the time I was the only guest in the lodge, but had there been many guests with transfer requirements and/or plans for diving trips or island picnics I feel it could have been difficult to keep everybody happy.

For the rest, good marks to everybody at Coral 15.41!

Room Tip: Chalets facing the lagoon (as opposed to the open sea) blend more in nature and offer more privacy, as well as shelter from the sea breeze when it blows
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jean-Francois M

Dear Jean-Francois

Thanks for the wonderful feedback on your stay at Coral Lodge. We hope to welcome you back again in future.