We recently returned to the UK after getting married back home in South Africa. The first leg of out honeymoon was 8 days spent at White Pearl Resort, Ponta Mamoli...
What can I say?
Overall we were extremely impressed...
The helicopter transfer is definitely worth it! Great views and much better than spending 2 hours on the road from Maputo vs 30 mins in the chopper.
The resort itself is lovely...nice and small so not overly crowded which is probably one of the biggest attractions. Very well laid out and quite a bit of thought has gone in with the design and layout of the chalets...
Our chalet was absolutely stunning and very private which is a big plus.
The staff is probably one of the resorts greatest assets - all of them were exceptionally friendly.
A special mention to Santos (our butler), Amos, Joel, Casper, Lorenzo, Jasse, Maria and Roberto...
These people went out of their way to make our honeymoon truly memorable!
The beaches are clean, the seawater sparkling blue and warm and there are plenty of chill out areas to relax...
A few minor things which would prohibit me from giving the resort 5 stars:
Agree with the previous reviewer that the surcharge which was charged for the New Years dinner was not advised of beforehand. Not too fussed as it was a great party and I can understand there were some additional expenses, but it did seem a bit odd that we only picked it up retrospectively (when I received my bill). Not a big issue and I didn't object to the additional cost, but it would have been good if they advised us beforehand of the additional costs associated with the New Years party!
Our food experience overall was great, so not in agreement with the previous reviewer and we stayed for 8 nights so I think we should be able to offer a balanced opinion. However, I do agree that our steaks were not cooked to perfection the one night - overcooked...
Drinks are expensive - if you go to a 5* resort you expect it, but they are a bit silly with some of the prices ($175 for a bottle of Veuve, $60 for 375ml of Jameson).
We understood the laundry was complimentary, only to find out it wasn't after we handed in quite a bit. At $16 a T-shirt, it is expensive...but when I did raise this with the management they removed the laundry from the bill without any fuss or issue - which we greatly appreciated!
As the location is remote you need to be aware it will be a very relaxing holiday as there aren't that many activities available. We were aware of this and we wanted a very relaxing holiday to wind down as the 2nd part of our honeymoon was much more active, but steer clear if you are keen on an active activity based holiday. Note: We are not divers, so if you dive it could be a bit different. The snorkeling at the outer reef is great though - part of the dolphin trip and even if you do not interact with the dolphins (i.e. they might not be keen on it) I would recommend the dolphin trip for the snorkeling at the outer reef on its own.
As suggested to the resort kite surfing and windsurfing would be a great addition for the resort with the calm seas and light and steady wind.
Overall we had an absolutely great holiday and we will recommend it to friends and if possible we will return for one of our future anniversaries!
Many thanks to White Pearl!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli, offers the ultimate in barefoot luxury in Africa. Experience elegant simplicity at this exclusive beach resort set in the dunes of the untouched shores of southern Mozambique. On a magnificent stretch of coastline, tucked behind casuarinas trees, White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli promises to earn the reputation for being the jewel of the Indian Ocean. Stay in one of 16 exquisite private pool suites. All suites are ocean-facing with a private plunge pool, covered deck and outdoor shower. Inside you will find a living area, personal bar, stylish bedroom with king-size bed and luxurious en-suite bathroom. All suites are equipped with air conditioning and an iPod docking station. A room with a view! Stay in one of 6 exquisite private beach pool suites. These units are located on the beachfront with direct access to the beach. All suites are ocean-facing with a spectacular view, private plunge pool, covered deck and outdoor shower. Inside you will find a living area, personal bar, stylish bedroom with king-size bed and luxurious en-suite bathroom. All suites are equipped with air conditioning and an iPod docking station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli Hotel Zitundo
- White Pearl Resorts, Ponta Mamoli Mozambique/Zitundo