“No longer in the poo”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Kentish
Eagles Nest Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 West Kentish B&B and Inns
Mooloolaba, Australia
“No longer in the poo”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Being a mere Male, I was bluntly reminded that I had missed our wedding anniversary - I won't mention how many years as it is embarrassing enough.
Licking my wounds and lamenting my absent mindedness, I sought advice from a learned friend living in Launceston. I was quickly pointed in the direction of Des' magnificent retreat in West Kentish - Eagles Nest.
Being a long way from my family home on the Sunshine Coast, I was not deterred. Des understood my plight and assured my he could help put a smile on my aggrieved wife's face.
What proceeded was an incredible weekend.
We enjoyed the peace and comfort of a 5 star retreat, hopping from one hot tub to the other (favouring the outdoor hot tub)- nearly getting caught in mid streak by the visiting masseuse and being specially catered for by Nick the Italian Chef.
We capped off our amazing weekend with a scenic helicopter flight from the retreat via our startled friends in Mole Creek and back to Launceston.
I can highly recommend Eagles Nest Retreat for magnificent views, peaceful surrounds and extreme pampering - and yes, I am no longer in the poo....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in Nest 2 for two nights. There were two couple and 2 infants. The retreat had everything that we could possibly want, and the only time we left was to wander around the property, feed the ducks and watch the platypus.

The views are spectacular from every angle. The spa's are fantastic, and the outdoor spa and fire was amazing.

So much attention to every detail has been put into this property. Just to laze around and unwind with the open fire burning, enjoy the collected art from around the world, admire the view, work your way through the library. I cannot recommend this property high enough.

The kitchen has everything that you could ever require. In fact, it is better equipped than our kitchen at home. It allows you to cook and entertain in relaxing style.

If you get the opportunity, make sure you experience this hidden gem!

PS: No matter the weather... make sure you light the outdoor fire and experience the outdoor spa at night with a big glass of local wine! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing! Its probably hard to chose which you want, but you can't go wrong with an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Highly recommended spot! This is place is so secluded and special. You are in nature, just you (and whoever is with you), with beautiful facilities, amazing little eats and breakfasts! It's just all stunning! Des is the most lovely man who was helpful and adjusted our breakfast to suit us! Very friendly! Thank you to the team at Eagles Nest for the perfect stay! P.s. outdoor spa, under the stars, just topped it off! Thank you!

Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in Nest 1 only a couple of weeks after the former reviewer who rated it as"poor". I'm not sure what went wrong there but let me assure readers that Nest 1 is not at all musty smelling, damp, dated, tacky or full of rubbish. The building is an amazing construction built about 10 years ago and is very modern. I would say that it is a little unusual in some aspects and perhaps this is what the other reviewer was referring to.
We arrived late afternoon and had to call for directions as we got a little lost and the address doesn't come up on the GPS. We drove through backroads from the coast via Barrington and were treated to some of the most beautifully scenic countryside on the way. West Kentish is just divine scenery also and it sits in the shadow of Mt Roland which is just spectacular. Some of the photos I have loaded are taken at sunrise. It's amazing how different things look at different times of the day and in different weathers.
Eagles Nest has soaring glass windows to make the most of the fabulous view of Mt Roland. Owner Des came down to welcome us and show us how to operate the spa and lights etc. He lit the fire and pointed out a few things. I was just dying to get the camera out and catch the fading light on Mt Roland! Des also organised to come and bid us farewell on our morning of departure. 1/4 to 10 was organised as checkout is 10am. We are inclined to push the boundaries of check out times too and if you find this type of hospitality a bit intrusive then maybe it's not for you. I personally would rather that than other places we stayed where you go in and leave and don't see a soul.
Treats left out for us included potato chips, a box of chocolates, brie and crackers and peanuts. Supplies included juice, milk, cereal, bread, butter, spreads, masses of eggs, bacon, gourmet yoghurts etc. In the cupboard was hot chocolate, marshmallows, various sauces and spices. The kitchen is very well equipped for cooking.
The living area is very comfortable with reverse cycle as well as open fire, comfy couch, lots of Tasmanian timber furniture. The downstairs bathroom has a corner spa bath. There is also an outdoor spa bath overlooking the paddocks and Mt Roland. It is also very private. Upstairs there is a large area with a jacuzzi, separated from the bedroom by a glass brick wall. The glass brick walls with lights inside were unusual but didn't bother me. The bed was comfortable enough, queen size with basic cotton bedlinen. The towels were good quality and large and plenty of them.
I didn't like the jacuzzi much. it had a lot of uneven bumps and lumps on the bottom, not a relaxing or comfortable shape at all. I have no idea on that one. Also, in spite of Des explaining the spa to us we couldn't keep it warm and it was quite cool. The whole place has more light switches and controls in it than a space station. We couldn't work out what half of them were for and my husband's suggestion is that they need to be labelled. I think a booklet with jacuzzi instructions is a must also.
We had ordered the dream chef for our first night but there was a mix up and we werent able to have the chef we ordered at all. We luckily had already bought supplies for the next night so we cooked them on our first night and Des organised another chef - Cynthia- for the second night. Cynthia cooked us a delightful meal and it was such a luxury having a chef come in, it really is a wonderful idea. We had soup, followed by roast and fish, and then chocolate pudding and crumble. All was really delicious.
We were glad we chose Eagles Nest. We wanted to stay here to visit Cradle Mountain. It is 60 k away and takes an hour to get there on windy roads. Probably a little further away than we would have liked but we only went to Cradle mountain on one day so it didn't matter. I think if you wanted to do a bit of hiking and go for more than one day, I would stay closer. But for us it was perfect, and the scenery around this part of the world is not to be missed. The nearby village of Sheffield is a lovely little spot with a range of cute stores to look at, and dont miss the fudge factory - it's beautiful fresh fudge in a variety of interesting flavours is definitely worth a look and a taste.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here overnight on our honeymoon, it would have been out of our price range other than the generosity of Des who gave us a very kind last minute rate.
This is truly a showcase, both of the view, the landscaping , the rooms and the detail.
The building itself has been built to make the most of the stunning mt Roland , the decor is a showcases of the owners international travel, and living. Tastefully decorated with personal touches with stories of the decor. We stayed in the African room and the bed was very very comfortable. The spa perfect, and the living area comfortable and tasteful.
This would be a wonderful place for three couples which would make it affordable for most people although the third bedroom is simplistic ( although still amazing views).
If I was to offer one constructive criticism it would be the need for signposting from Sheffield.

Albury, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed in Eagles Nest One. The view is spectacular but for me that was where it ended. For the price of this accomodation the decor was extremely tacky, the beds were creaky and very old and the one down stairs smells damp. Upstairs the ensuite and bathroom leaves a lot to be desired, it is very very dated and strange.

I opened cupboard doors in the kitchen to cook and there was rubbish and receipts tucked in there. The whole place had a strange musky, damp smell about it.

On the morning we were due to leave the cleaner arrived early (before 10 am) and commenced cleaning while we sorted out our belongings giving us strange looks like we were in the wrong. I am 8 months pregnant and was still in my underwear when she arrived so the suprise arrival was a bit of a shock. I was in the bathroom at one stage and she had a nice long look in. I felt completely uncomfortable. i hate leaving bad reveiws but on this occassion I was extremely disapointed.

Room Tip: Perhaps the other nests are better?
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Erin125
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Eagle Nest III is a fantastic House. The best B&B we have ever stayed in. Every single compliments been said about this place rang true to life for us. From the stunning views of Mount Roland to the architecturally superb designed house. We would love to enlist Des Brown as a design consultant for our next home. Every aspect of your accommodation requirements have been thought of artistically with attention to details and comfort in mind. An array of great facilities for self catering, star gazing, spa, camp fire etc… love to stay here forever...

Room Tip: Eagle Next III is the newest house - make sure you get a map from Des to help with the direction oth...
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Kentish
Silver Ridge Retreat
Silver Ridge Retreat
#2 of 9 in Sheffield
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Villa...
#2 of 6 in Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park

Been to Eagles Nest Retreat? Share your experiences!