“The Best chippy :-)”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Been coming era for 5 years wouldn't go anywhere else food is amazing, staff are very friendly & the owner theo is lovely very welcoming !!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Great service, amazing food and it won't break the bank! You will never be disappointed! We live in Cambridge and whenever we visit family in Kirkby we always pay The Jolly Fryer a visit. We haven't found another chip shop that even comes close to the food and service here.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Sitting through a performance of a community work based choir where my wife was singing, I realised that we had not eaten since lunchtime and we would be late leaving. After a discreet peep at Tripadvisor I noticed that there were only five reviews for eating in Kirkby. To my surprise a chippy made first place. Not perturbed by this we decided to stick to the formular that if its high on the rankings on Tripadvisor then it probably would be good.

On driving in the dark back streets late at night it was comforting to notice the well lit sign of The Jolly Fryer like a shining beacon in the wilderness. On entering I was personally greeted by the enthusiastic Theo, more like a maitre, d than a fish fryer. I ordered two fish and chip special with peas and was surprised to see that a free battered sausage was also included in the very reasonable price.

Whilst waiting Theo proudly showed off his Tripadvisor certificates displayed prominently and begged me to give a good review if I was satisfied. Such was his enthusiasm that he proceeded to tell me that his mini fish were like whales and that all meals were freshly cooked. The Bon ami was such that it spread to his customers who also spoke of how good the food was.

Armed with our boxes of delights it was almost magical to devour such good food in the car at night. The fish was succulent, cooked in a light crisp batter and the chips chunky and tasty. The peas were just right and even the sausage tasted good. The meal was amazing and well priced.

I know that this review may seem over the top for a fish and chip shop, but it is such a welcoming change to see a man have so much passion for his business and able to deliver what is promised. Theo you are a star and deserve to be a success. I wish you well and hope that your business flourishes. My wife will mention The Jolly Fryer to her work colleagues, many of whom do not live in Kirkby and may not know of it.

1  Thank Rupert E
Reviewed September 27, 2013

top staff,top quality food friendliest owner ever(theo) always worth the wait never disappointed the food just gets better and better even though i thought was not possible

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

First class service and quality ,
Well done always a friendly , fast service an asset to the
Community.