Review Highlights
Lovely railway

What a lovely railway , the thing that makes it stand out from other railways is the vintage... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
firemanfield822
Guildford, United Kingdom
via mobile
Intersting and Fun, not cheap!

We had an enjoyable hour going to both stations in a first class carriage, though it does lack... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
PBPG
Yorkshire, United Kingdom

1,966 results
All reviews train story haven street smallbrook junction rolling stock isle of wight main station electric train woodland walk falconry display unlimited travel all ages rover ticket step back in time ticket office birds of prey well worth a visit train enthusiast
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Well worth a visit! Stop off at Havenstreet to enjoy all sorts of amenities and info about steam trains!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

An interesting place to visit, tucked away in the countryside. The train journey is pleasant through some lovely countryside. The coaches are clean and comfortable, obviously well looked after.
There is plenty ro see apart from the ride, a well set up attraction. The cafe is reasonably priced.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I got the ferry over from Portsmouth which links to the Island Line at Ryde. From here I got the line to Smallbrook Junction and within 30 minutes of setting foot on the island I was travelling behind a steam engine through glorious countryside. This is a fantastic example of all the transport organisations working together to make good connections.

The carriages I travelled in were all beautifully restored having been built many, many years ago. The train I went on ran non-stop from Smallbrook Junction to Wooton where there was a quick turnaround for the journey back.

I got off at Haven Street which is their main station and where most of the activities are.

As well as seeing the locomotives resting there is also the excellent Train Story exhibition which tells the story of railways in the Isle of Wight. There are lots of things to see including the carriage that was restored in the Channel 4 TV show - The Great Restoration Project and they did a great job!

There is an excellent gift shop which caters for all ages and interests. There is also a cafe and children's play area. I got the train back to Smallbrook Junction and I did not have long to wait for the Island Line train to take me on for the rest of my journey.

I bought an Island liner ticket which is a rover which gives you unlimited travel on the steam railway and the Island Line.

An excellent visit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

part of our break on Island was atrip on the steam railway, what's not to love about that. Joined at Havenstreet an set off for few miles to destination, then sat and sat for what seemed ages before returning back through Havenstreet to the end of the line, again waited quite a while, train change we were told before back to Havenstreet. All in all really need to be a real fan for this, we felt too much stopping time, but good museum at Havenstreet, and opportunity to visit workshop, rail themed gift shop, quite expensive and a cafe - which hopefully has staff improved in manners, well one in particular.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Came as I love trains, the museum /restoration walk was very informative. There were 2 carriages in various stages of repair and it was lovely to ride in the finished product.
I could take my dog with me everywhere except the cafe, for obvious reasons, I could eat at the pub near the wootton Station. It's a touch difficult being solo with a dog but this place was by far the best with being dog friendly and such a great day out for both of us.