$77
PremierInn.com
The Portland Hotel(Chesterfield)(Great Value!)
$90
$67
PremierInn.com
$168
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $196/night.

All reviewsred lionpeak districtdressing areahaggiswalk in showerfirst classhigh standardopen fireseparate showerwet roomwedding plannersuperior roomlovely hotelthe pubevening mealbeautiful countrysideboth nights
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We booked here for 3 nights and got a fantastic deal through Laterooms. We chose the hotel primarily because of the good reviews it has received and we were not disappointed. The reception has a very chic and trendy feel to it, but is warm and welcoming at the same time (love the telescope!). Our room was big and very well thought out, and the bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The only problem with the bed was that it has a wooden surround which we kept catching our legs on (black and blue when we came home!) but even so it has to be the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a long time.

The bathroom was stunning, particularly the fantastic shower, and the mood lighting was lovely BUT as some reviewers have commented previously, the lighting is just not bright enough to see in any detail what you are doing (i.e., applying makeup). It would be perfect if, in addition to the mood lighting, there was an option to have brighter lights.

On the subject of lighting, the main room also suffered from a lack of light once the sun had gone down, and although there was an angle-poise lamp on the dressing table, this didn't really help. However, during the day the room was light and airy.

There was plenty of storage space for clothes/baggage and lots of room to move around in - no cramped rooms here! The addition of another chair in the room would have been nice, and I understand that this is being addressed by the owners.

We ate in the Bistro on our first night - excellent, efficient service and great food. We liked the atmosphere in the bar; cosy, friendly and inviting.

Breakfast was served in the Bistro, and on the Friday morning the service was excellent. However, on the Saturday morning service was extremely slow with items still not put out (eg toaster/bread) for customer use by 8.30. Tea (well, I say tea - if I were that weak I'd send for the doctor!) was served from a flask rather than in a teapot as on the previous morning. Nevertheless, the food could not be faulted - the full English (including haggis, would you believe) was perfect. I'm happy to report that service was back to full speed on the Sunday morning.

I am always impressed when the owner/manager takes time to respond to customer feedback and we were pleased to receive a letter a couple of days after our stay regarding the feedback we had left at the hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and hopefully will be returning in the not too distant future.

5  Thank Anis1963
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate all comments and suggestions made so as we can continue to better ourselves in all areas to provide all of our guests with the best customer service and relaxation that you deserve during your stay with us.
We do hope that you come and see us again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is a lovely modern hotel built next to an old public house on the edge of the Peak District.

The receptionists were charming and extremely smart and helpful, insisting on showing me to my room, which was spotlessly clean, and beautifully equipped.
The bathroom had a freestanding bath for two and a great shower ...... the bed was huge, and I had a view over a small trout pond, which was floodlit at night.
I ate at the Bistro in the pub next door ........ the best fillet steak I have ever eaten ...... locally reared and beautifully cooked.
My only critiscism is that the excellent real ale on offer (which was Black Sheep when I visited) was priced at a staggering £3.80 a pint, which is crazy !

Overall, a very nice place to base yourself when exploring the Peak District.

Room Tip: I pre-paid for my booking through Expedia at the nightly rate of £98.67 for B & B - apparently if I had booked through laterooms.com or direct with the hotel, the rate would have been just £74 B & B !!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rotiel321

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled that you had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed your evening in the Bistro. We are very proud of our newly built Hotel and the adjacent Red Lion Bistro with all of our locally produced food. We do hope you come back and visit us again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed March 24, 2012

What a find this is - a modern hotel with excellent rooms (including great bathrooms) at a very reasonable price. We got lost on the way (our fault!!) but phoned and were guided by the very helpful receptionist. The location is stunning and there is even a peacock and peahen in the grounds. Very comfortable and very friendly in an efficient kind of way, and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

I expressed reservations about the associated Bistro which I have reviewed separately, but the hotel itself was brilliant.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel as well as our Bistro. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of our newly built Hotel and the luxury and relaxation that we are able to provide to all of our guests.
We do hope to welcome you to the Hotel again at some point in the near future. Kind regards

Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is a somewhat striking new build hotel next to a traditional pub that has been extended and modernized.
The hotel seems a bit stark when you first walk in, the colour theme is beige and taupe, all vey trendy. The rooms are large to very large with superbly comfortable beds. The bathrooms, we had the cheapest room, all contain a huge bath and walk in shower. They would not look out of place in a London 5* hotel. They do look out of place in Derbyshire, but if you like comfort rather than authenticity then this is the hotel for you. You will either hate or love the colour scheme.
The pub next door is open all day and when we were there it was very busy. The food is better than a chain restaurant but this no gastro pub, it doesn’t try to be. Expect good traditional freshly cooked food in a slightly chain like environment. The service in the hotel and restaurant was outstanding, someone trains their staff very well.
In summary, a very out of character hotel for the area but excellent for couples or families.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of our newly built Hotel and the whole location as it lies very close to our hearts and wanted to deliver that extra bit of luxury to each and every guest that stays with us.
We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Very nice hotel, off the beaten track. quiet and some what up market. Very nice staff and the rooms are above average. Huge beds and wet room showers and all the amenities you would expect. The bistro....A very nice place, oak beams soft music, polite staff. But waiting and waiting, finally it was acknowledged we had been waiting a considerable amount of time, when the waiter finally came over and told us there had been a long delay due to a 'party', but surely the restaurant are used to dealing with such customers? Unfortunately the starter of mussels I had also had a very bad 'gone off' mussel within it, which luckily didnt result in me being ill, but accept it propeably couldnt have been avoided by the chef as the mussel was open.
Sunday morning went for breakfast and sat in a well lit corner and waited....... and waited (again). We had a cup of tea out of a flask, while many person came and went and after about a hour i did complain. Maybe we were invisable but need to be more focused on the customer, it seemed the excuse of the 'party' the night before wasnt an excuse, but merely just the actual speed of the service? The member of staff that had served us taking the order also failed to acknowledge that he hadnt yet served us anything from the kitchen, but after complaining he did finally appologise.
In all, a lovely little find of a hotel, no complaints at all, but the restaurant service does let it down a little, even though the restaurant itself is lovely. Unfortunately my wife wasn't well following dinner, being ill 7 hours after dinner, but can't say it was down to the food. The mussels, I just fell unlucky i guess, and my wife's food was ample and lovely, but just unfortunate she was ill.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the rear, all of which have a view of the greenery and river.
2  Thank Fones90