“Superb hospitality, gorgeous setting”
Review of Peak Edge Hotel

Peak Edge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stonedge
London
“Superb hospitality, gorgeous setting”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We decided on a short break to North Derbyshire and chose this hotel after looking at the Tripadvisor reviews; our experience echos the others who had a lovely stay. The hotel has only been open for a few months, and they are still working out a few things, but the fact that the staff are the friendliest I've come across in a small independent hotel makes this place stand alone in terms of superb hospitality. Nothing was too much trouble, and a few extra touches were lovely- for example, in our welcome envelope there was a print off of the BBC weather forecast for the next few days- we REALLY appreciated that, and were thankful we remembered our umbrellas!
The hotel and rooms are contemporary in style (which is v different from other places in this part of the world- most are traditional and quite chintzy) I LOVE the bathrooms and i'd do my own at home just like the ones at Peak Edge if I had the money. The bed was huge and super comfy. Breakfast the next morning was copious, with bacon, eggs and sausages from the local farm shop.
This is a beautiful part of England with loads to see, do and visit in the surrounding area; we will definitely go back and stay at Peak Edge again.

We had dinner at the pub/bistro next door, even though we read some patchy reviews here on Tripadvisor. Some of the food was outstanding (the "hedgerow rabbit wellington" was amazing, the "duo of local lamb" melt in the mouth delicious, both served with locally grown vegetables, and generous portions) But there are a few duds on the menu...my "posh prawn cocktail" was very disappointing, and the bread (actually slighty stale bagels!) served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar is an insult to what SHOULD be served- the brilliant breads and butters made in this part of the world. It seems as if any time local produce is used, this place excels. My tip to the chef would be to focus on the local- the quality of what's available in N Derbyshire is outstanding and this place could be a real champion for local produce with a bit more thought.
What made our meal so memorable despite a few disappointments was, once again, the staff. The chap behind the bar was very funny and friendly and went the extra mile with our pre dinner cocktails and our dessert wine; the maitre d' was v professional and looked like he was in his element; waitresses charming, and everyone seemed to get stuck in to ensure diners were well looked after. The owner (who was helping to clear plates- always a good sign!) has a real talent for finding great staff, which, let's face it, is often the weakest link in the hospitality industry. If all the food could be as sparkling as the staff, this restaurant could be be a real gem.

Room Tip: We stayed in 104- gorgeous view of lambs frolicking in the fields
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to The Peak Edge Hotel. Thank you for your comments, we have passed them onto the chef. We are really proud of what we have achieved over the last year with the opening of the new hotel and comments like yours makes all the hard work worth while. we hope to welcome you back very soon! Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Stayed at the Peak Edge a few weeks ago and thought it was great, would recommend it. It's on the edge of the Peak district so lovely countryside and walks are close by. Booked a late trip only to be notified there had been an error with the booking agency (not with the hotel). The staff at Peak Edge couldn't have been more helpful and offered an upgrade to a luxury suite. Delighted to discover on arrival that it was huge, luxurious - huge bed, massive sofa, big flat screen TV and lovely wet room/bathroom. A real treat. Food in the adjoining pub/restaurant was good, especially the breakfast. Evening meal a tad pricey for what it was but still good, breakfast was really very good.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the suite
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you again soon
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Positives: It's almost perfect
Negatives: It's not perfect

It's all-to-easy to pick holes in something that seems perfect on the surface. (Let's face it, I love Travelodge's showers more than any other... but their bathrooms aren't exactly plush, or particularly clean.)

So let's start with the positives and sneak in the negatives. This place is absolutely stunning. From the front of the building to the soft close toilet seat, everything about Peak Edge oozes quality and sophistication. They (or the designer) have put so much into planning every last detail, that you do feel slightly disappointed when something falls below your by now artificially increased expectations. And, as with everything in life, it's not perfect. But at least they're trying to get there. The hotel is absolutely spotless, I wonder if they go around with sellotape picking up all the dust particles.

Opened in April 2011, they are still finding their feet (as previous reviews attest) but they clearly are finding them very quickly. From the moment we walked through the door (OK, a moment after I nearly fell over the dark brown table on the dark brown floor) we were given a friendly, personal and attentive welcome by the reception staff ("would you like any help with your luggage"), including a personalised welcome pack with a personal letter, and chit-chat about our journey. Lucky guess that we'd travelled from home? Or perhaps I let slip about our travel plans when I called ahead? Either way, impressive. Brownie points earned. Shame I didn't read the letter until the next morning after sweating all night (two duvets... it wasn't cold) as it mentioned "if you're too hot please ask for a sheet" (alluding to a previous reviewer's comments?) That was a shame because the bed was huge and very comfortable, but I didn't sleep too well. Or maybe I slept like a log but woke up too well? My wife had a fantastic night's sleep, she was unconscious within 5 minutes and didn't move until 7am. I just sweated.

My call ahead, incidentally, was to discuss my wife's dietary requirements (lactose & wheat intolerance) and they were very accommodating, calling me back within an hour to say "the chef will cook whatever you like, just let them know when you arrive". That's quite a claim! We arrived late -- there had been a wedding reception on, although very little sign of it by 10:30pm -- and ended up not having an evening meal. We are tempted to go back and have one - it all looks and sounds delish and apparently they grow their own salad and herbs. Breakfast was brilliant. Perhaps could have done with muesli on offer but plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, cheese and meat available for the more continental amongst us. Service was attentive but not overbearing; it wasn't overly busy but wasn't quiet either. We both had a fry up, my wife's potato cake, freshly made by the chef, replacing my bread-coated hash brown. Haggis!! Winner! Illy coffee is served - among the best IMO - and those faffy little handled cups are a bit silly but that's the price you pay for corporate branding, they are the same everywhere that serves Illy. The trick is not to try and shove your fingertip through the hole.....

Walk in wardrobe? You got it.

I'll mention the bathroom specifically, as it's frankly incredible that a bathroom that well appointed should exist in a hotel. The open shower cubicle is a bit odd but that's my tastes and being picky. The mirror was slightly tinted and with a soft light (not blue) so ideal for applying make up, my wife says. Heated too, so it didn't steam up. We didn't try the bath but it was very sexy looking.

Once the landscaped gardens have had a couple of years to bed in, I'm sure they will be stunning too, but it was all a bit sparse and new in Sept 2011. Summer 2012 should be delightful and I'm sure you could spend an hour wandering around the grounds, not sure how big they are but I get the impression they have a fair few acres.

What else.... location is great for southern Peak District. Roughly 15 mins from Matlock, about 30-45 from Hardwick Hall (a good day out, but expensive if you're not National Trust members) and Chatsworth Hall is also fairly close by. Probably 15-20 minutes from the M1 I would guess? Satnav found it easily enough, there's not much else on that road so you shouldn't miss it in the dark!

Very quiet, no noise outside, or in the corridors, although we could hear someone walking (creaking) around in the room above at midnight and again at 7am.

Wifi didn't work in our room (far end of the hall downstairs), wondered if it was out of range or only in the foyer? I didn't think to ask. Mobile reception is minimal at best although probably OK outside, it's not in a valley.

We paid £120 for one night in a standard (which is still pretty special) double room, inc breakfast. A pint of ale (I opted for the Black Sheep, local offering was bland) and a glass of nice Malbec in the adjoining pub/bistro was £9.00. Bar 'snacks' appeared to be oysters and scallops, you kind of expect it by this point.... breakfast was priced at £15 on the menu. Didn't see the mains on offer that night, unfortunately, but they are changing the menu frequently so would only have been an example of price.

I've done a lot of business travelling in 4* hotels, so tend to recognise a 'business hotel' when I see one, and this is definitely a couple of grades above. Well worth a stay here if you're passing or just want a nice break away from the rat race. It's expensive, but not ridiculously so. You can see why.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a fantastic review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your feedback and feel very proud to have created something that guests are enjoying! Hope to see you again soon, kind regards
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed September 9, 2011

You have to question the sanity of someone who elects to pay for a hotel room when, as in the case of my wife and myself, we could have stayed up the road in Sheffield free-of-charge.

As Hilton Honors Diamond members (currently with in excess of one million HHonors points available to burn between us) this is what we did twelve months ago - two free nights at the Sheffield Hilton - when attending a business meeting in Worksop. However with another meeting at the same location yesterday - and with a sense of disappointment at our previous Hilton stay - I decided to research for a 'better', paid, accommodation option on Trip Advisor, and settled on the Peak Edge Hotel.

Was I disappointed? Not for one moment ; outside of some upmarket London hotels this establishment offers some of the best accommodation I have ever come across in the UK. Ultra-modern bedrooms and bathrooms, with a supremely comfortable bed, thick, fluffy white bath towels, a wall-mounted flat-screen TV with a multitude of TV channels, and under GBP100 per night inclusive of a full breakfast for two persons - what's not to like?

Very little - but in the interests of writing a balanced report here's a few very minor issues: a) whoever designed the wetroom showers wants shooting - I've experienced many wet rooms and this one is not at all good in containing the water from the shower in a reasonably small area of the bathroom, b) make sure you read and understand the air-conditioning controls before you wake up at 2:00AM drenched in sweat because the previous occupant of the room liked sleeping at temperatures 10C higher than myself.

This hotel - and the Owners/Managers - really do deserve your business. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone who has become disappointed with the generally unsatisfactory state of UK hotels and is seeking to have their faith restored.

Not all good news though - as I am reviewing seperately, the pub/bistro next door doesn't get a similar ringing endorsement.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed for a short break here to explore Derbyshire - easy access to Peak District, Bolsover Castle & Chatsworth House. Special offer meant it was a good value break for us, Hotel is in an attractive location on the southern edge of the peak district. Newly built rooms are well presented with modern decor & outstanding bathrooms (bath & seperate shower) with seperate dressing room area. Beds very comfortable. Staff were very friendly & helpful. Adjacent pub/restaurant served good quality food in pleasant surroundings. Only minor gripe was some parts of service (taking initial orders) was slightly less attentive than we would have liked like.But not a big deal -probably because layout of restaurant makes it slightly awkward for service staff to view the diners.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Peak Edge Hotel. We hope to welcome you back again very soon. Kind regards
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Chose this place because we were visiting Chatsworth Country Show. It was ideal. The hotel side of things was only completed in April 2011 & still has that "new house smell". It has been done sympathetically with the ancient pub/restaurant next door. The hotel is a perfect mix of old fashioned stone building with uber modern bedrooms. We were greeted by Sam on reception who practically sings to you when speaking and is the most helpful member of staff I have met in any hotel (I travel a lot with work and for pleasure). Nothing is too much trouble for her & her team. I advised that I have an allergy to feathers and whilst having a drink at the bar, all four pillows and quilt were changed. We ate at the restaurant in the evening and were not disappointed. Scallops to start with lamb main - fantastic! Shared creme brûlée was awesome. Live pianist was great to listen to. Our room was huge. Hall, walk in wardrobe and beautiful bath and wet room. Really high spec all round. Our bed was as large as the one at home (which we struggle to find) and very comfortable. Huge flat screen LCD TV and lots of space to move around in. We had a great view of the small man made lake thing which was lovely and lit at night. Breakfast was more than enough and really good. I would recommend this place to anyone (that I like).

Room Tip: No need to get most expensive room. They're all great!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Peakedgehotel, Owner at Peak Edge Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your feedback and we are really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and team members, we are very proud of what we have achieved. We do hope you visit again soon. Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Peak Edge hotel was a lovely setting for a weekend break, the room was spacious and modern with a king size bed. The bathroom was particularly nice with a great shower and very deep bath! Staff were very friendly and helpful, with reception staff selling discounted tickets to nearby Chatsworth.

The bistro was very convenient for dinner and the food very good. We enjoyed the extensive choice at breakfast although service was slow on the first morning, but this was due to the bistro being very busy with a wedding party. The owner generously refunded the price of breakfast on the second day as they felt there was less choice, which I had barely noticed!

Overall a great stay, definitely value for money with the discounted booking.com price!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We do hope you visit us again soon. Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonedge
Casa Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Peak Edge Hotel? Share your experiences!