All reviewsspice denking studiospa bathpool accessbeautiful poolonsite restaurantsmall shoppinglovely resortshopping centrebyron bayshort walk to the beachwell equipped kitchenettein house restaurantelectric bbqcoles supermarketself containedbalinese style
Reviewed January 2, 2016

So the service experienced was limited as we checked in after hours, apparently our booking through their site didn't relay 4 guests so we only had 2 towels. Our instructions to our room were written wrong so it took over 1/2 an hour with two tired, hungry children until we finally got to our room. I physically checked i with my Credit card the next morning and then on returning to the room with a sleeping baby found our room keys wouldnt work.

Upon entering our room you could immediately feel the sand on the room floor, see spots where it was not mopped and by the time the boys were bathed their feet were black. The bed's top sheet was stained. There was no in room compendium so we had no information regarding room service, places close to eat and availability of necessities etc ( FYI - unless you stay for 7 nights there is none. room service that is).
For our 2 night $333 p/n stay we got a carpark, room, and pools and a glimpse of the ocean at best. Our booking was miscommunicated through their site, not enough towels, dirty floors and windows, stained bed sheet cover,doesnt have middle block out blind so dont count on sleeping in. Oh and if your partner needs to go to the Loo you can hear everything.

Not my idea of relaxing....

The Location and Resort itself are absolutely stunning - although could be cleaner,better well kept. Our external of our windows was filthy. They provide L'Occitane products which are a personal favorite. The room setup is practical, modern and air conditioning cooled the whole room. Everything appeared to be quite clean. Staff when we spoke to them were polite and willing to help with our issues.

I had been wanting to stay at this particular retreat for the last 6 years and I have to say it didnt go close to meeting my expectations sadly.

Room Tip: Be very conscientious with choosing your room. Ask questions and be thorough. You are paying for it.
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank SimoneValentine2016
SantaiRetreat, General Manager at Santai Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2016

Dear Simone,
Thank you for spending valuable time to complete this review following your stay at Santai Retreat. I would like to say how very sorry I am to learn that you felt your stay did not reach your expectations during your recent visit. Your experience is most certainly not what our guests have come to expect when staying with us. As discussed with you personally, I have advised our guest services team on your comments about the length of time it took to get to your room. I can assure you that this is not the usual standard of what our guests have come to expect when checking in afterhours. Your comments made in regards to the housekeeping, room access and compendium were also of a great concern. I apologise that you felt the room standard was not acceptable, however all of the issues you decided to raise with me were immediately rectified with an offer to re-service your room being declined by yourself. Your arrival letter to the retreat provides detailed information on nearby services and the facilities offerings, so this document would have certainly provided you the information you were seeking. I also note your comment regarding our bathrooms. As our Studio rooms were designed for a couples market, I certainly feel that with children a larger room type would have suited your requirements a lot better. We have now identified the need to enhance the privacy of bathrooms in our King Studios and therefore are currently working with all owners of these room types to ensure we are meeting our guests expectations. Once again I apologise that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay. At a convenient time could you please return my call which I made to you today so we can discuss your experience in further detail.

Kind Regards
Carl Taranto
Resort Manager

Reviewed December 31, 2015 via mobile

We have stayed here before and it's a really nice apartment and the staff are fabulous and the pool and grounds well maintained but is not really a retreat ... The restaurant is only open for dinner.... You should at least have coffees and pastries available on site.... We miss the nice breakfasts you guys used to do.

The rooms are self contained and have cooking facilities if that's your choice it's not ours .
The coffee pod in the rooms on arrival we felt was average 1 coffee pod and 1 chai tea pod complementary.... At least have a few of each before you ask us to buy them when you pay $$$ per night.

The pool is lovely but kids and adults in the spa make for a noisy lie by the pool!
Our room also looked over the pool on level 2 and the noise from the pool and spa just echos up ....
The Spice Den is a must~ fabulous food highly recommend dinner here.

My tip if you go here don't get a room over looking the pool ...

Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Lynda,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us, we truly appreciate your comments. I am delighted to know that we have reached your expectations regarding your accommodation and also our service provided to you by the team during your stay. We take great pride in our team, and as professionals they appreciate this guest feedback so thank you. I have noted your comments regarding our food & beverage facilities at the retreat. As Spice Den is a separately managed business, the retreat is currently in the process of looking into ways on how we can enhance the food and beverage experience for our guests during the non operating hours of the Spice Den. This has provided us a challenge to provide a breakfast option, however we are working very hard to ensure we have a solution for our guests in the very near future. I have also noted your comments regarding our coffee pod offering, and have discussed this feedback with our Housekeeping Supervisor to ensure we review this offering for our guests. As your visit was within the Christmas & School Holidays periods, I apologise that your time by the pool was not as tranquil as expected, however we do our best to regulate these areas in these busy times. Should you be looking for a quiet and tranquil experience, my suggestion wold be to visit the retreat during the low and mid season to avoid the higher occupancy levels. We truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed December 30, 2015 via mobile

Spend 2 nights there after Christmas. The king bed room with spa was clean and comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked with equipment. The pools were nice, especially the garden pool. We were a little surprised the games/DVD cart was put away in the afternoons since that's the time it would come in handy.
Quite complex far from everything.

Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank Larajanowe

Dear Larajanowe,
We sincerely thank you for your review, it sounds like you really enjoyed your accommodation and the facilities of the retreat. I do note your comment regarding the Games and DVD hire for use afterhours and agree that these items would be great for our guests to utilise during these periods. Unfortunately we have previously experienced these items being removed from the resort entirely when hired during these times, therefore to eliminate this problem our guests are welcome to make their selection during reception opening hours and keep these overnight for their use. We are very proud of our tranquil location here in Casuarina which truly provides a relaxing experience for our guests. With the nearby shopping centre opening in March, this will certainly provide more convenience for our guests when needing to access local amenities. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back to Santai Retreat in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2015 via mobile

This resort is just beautiful. Clean, well maintained and very friendly staff. The pool is stunning and a good size for a relax or swim. Be sure to book into Spice Den for Dinner, absolutely amazing food! I would highly recommend this resort for couples wanting a romantic weekend getaway.

Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Nickrock,
We are absolutely thrilled to read that we were able to deliver such a wonderful holiday experience for you. As you have stated our team take great pride in their service and as professionals they truly appreciate the recognition of their efforts so thank you. I am also delighted you enjoyed your experience at Spice Den and also using our pool to relax and rejuvenate during your stay. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Santai in the very near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2015 via mobile

We all came from different parts of the country to meet up for a week break.

Everything was lovely, our rooms were clean, bedding was comfortable, staff was superb.

The only negative was the pool wasn't heated and we chose not to use it, although it was clean and open!!

Stayed: August 2015, traveled with friends

Dear Sharon,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Santai Retreat for a such a special occasion to meet up with your friends over Christmas. I am delighted to hear that you all of you enjoyed your holiday experience, as our team take great pride in their service delivery, ensuring all of our guests leave Santai with fond memories. I take note of your comment regarding the temperature of our main pool. To ensure all guests are comfortable, our Garden Pool located at the rear of main pool is solar heated to 25 degrees all year round. I apologise should this not have been made aware to you during your stay. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you return to Santai Retreat.