Review Highlights

Best view ever!

Reviewed October 2, 2018
Sooraj C
Oslo, Norway

All reviews car park afraid of heights challenging hike be careful base jumping pulpit rock amazing hike running water high winds hitch a ride hiking boots steep rock hour round trip take photos heavy rain amazing views rented a car
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Well...it was a bit tough..I went out of the season (November) so no chain available and a lot of ice (-3 Celsius), which made me detour from the path to walk on the grass since I had no crampons. Detouring can be dangerous because there is not a marked path but you have to follow red signs on the rocks and when you start to loose some of these to detour, it’s hard to find the way back, but you can still use compass or just walk towards the people you see around you. It took me 5,5 hours to reach the peak, eat, rest, picture and back. No way to take picture on the Kjerag rock (too icy and believe me...there is literally nothing underneath). I had some difficulties on the way back because the ice with strong slopes. I’ve been on the pulpit rock too and the view is much better there. Recommendations: don’t go without proper shoes and if you’re not fit.

1  Thank 621dantes
Reviewed October 12, 2018

Kjerag was AMAZING! The view was beautiful and although it was a tough hike, very worth it once we took all of the pictures! I would definitely do it again if I go back to Norway. It is a must see attraction and absolutely fantastic.

1  Thank Maya S
Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

Real tough hike up almost sheer cliff holding onto chains in parts. Great fun though and spectacular views of the Fjord and Lysebotn from above. The bolten is insane we didn't go on as was very wet during our visit.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The total hike is around 12 to 13 kms and takes around 6-8 hrs depending upon the strength . This consists of 3 mountains,out of which first one is really difficult but if you complete it, you will be able to complete the hike.The second mountain is more of climbing big steps it is tiring but it is doable with some rest. On the final mountain the chains lead upto only halfway rest it is free climbing if it is raining it will get slippery but once you climb third mountain it is about 2 kms walk to the boulder. Once you see the boulder you completly forget the pain of the hike and enjoy the breathtaking view. While coming back i felt it is lot easier where the chains are situated because it is similar to rappling,but second mountain takes a toll while climbing down.Overall experience is awesome , will I do again definetly.

Note: If you are not able to complete first mountain i will suggest you to turn back and come back and enjoy the view in the cafe.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

This was such a great hike, I don't have much hiking experience but am fairly fit and at the beginning I thought I overestimated myself - but we ended up doing a round trip in just under 5 hours so can't have been that bad! Make sure you check the weather forecast and the info on Kjerag tourist information facebook page as the conditions can change rapidly. I was following them for a few days prior to the hike and the night before they said no hiking the next day due to strong wind and rain - but overnight it changed almost miraculously and even though the wind was strong we were good to go. We rented a car from Stavanger airport as soon as it opened at 9 AM, the drive takes about 2.5 hours so by the time we started the hike a lot of people were already coming back and so it did not feel crowded. The trail is well marked, although we did get a bit lost towards the end and struggled to find the boulder for a while. The actual stepping on the boulder was a lot less scary than I thought it would be - which was lucky as it started to rain a bit just as we got there, so the rocks got a bit slippery. The access is good and you just need to make one small step onto it, pose, go back, check the photos, decide they are not good enough and repeat to obtain better ones (optional). Though the boulder is the highlight of the hike for many, please do make sure you wander around a bit as the views of the fjords are breathtaking. We happened to be at the right place in the right time and saw a beaufil rainbow, which, in the given surroundings, was quite a surreal experience!
PS: all those reviews saying pack some gloves are right. I panicked and run to Sportsdirect the evening before we flew to Stavanger and was very happy for the random cycling gloved I managed to get at the short notice, as there were a few bits where I relied on the chains quite a lot and in the cold wind the gloves were a welcome protection.

1  Thank Lenka S
Reviewed September 15, 2018

This hike is hard to a non-experienced hiker like me - steep boulders, ropes you need to pull yourself up - it was also very cold (4 degrees) with rain showers at times.
Still - as long as you come prepared and have the right guy (i went with geir from lysefjorden adventure) this is completely doable and incredibly fun to do!

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

It was much more difficult than Prekenstolen hiking, but was not too difficult, still doable for me :)

But we were lucky as wheather was wonderful on the first days of Sep. Also, most likely, I would not recommend to have a hiking there when there are bad wheather conditions.

As wheather was great we had a luxury to see all mountains around when you are on the top.
The view is stunning all around. And there are more hiking options from Kjerag.
For us it took 1 hour 50 minutes to reach Kjerag. Then we spent almost 1 hour for amazing lunch. And returned back slower, just spending more time in the places we liked. So we started from parking at 12 AM and returned back 17:30 PM.
We have been staying in Stavanger and it took fors us about 2,5 hours to come there by car. But the way from Stavanger to Kjerag is also wonderful that it even worth to take a trip even if you are not planning hiking :)
Moreover, there are some easy (green) hiking areas around.

Reviewed September 4, 2018

I had no idea how scary it was to climb up and down 4 mountains in order to see that famous rock. If I'd known beforehand, I wouldn't go up there.

When I finally go there, after 2.5 hours walking on rough mountain roads, I shivered like a little sheep has been confronted by a hungry wolf. I could not go up there even by crawling. Then, there was this very kind local mountaineer who offered a hand, so I did not miss the once-in-a-life-time moment! It was incredible! It was surreal! I refused to leg go of his hand, but it felt great to stand up there and wave to my friends.

I was surprised that my friend managed to take a boomerang of me waving... since I was there only for 5 seconds! When she shouted "stay, stay, stay"... I was already going back down. lol.

That was the most precious and surreal moment of my life! I surely enjoyed it, and I think I'll remember that feeling for the rest of my life. :)

1  Thank Ruby D
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

On friday at 12 pm ,me and my husband with our one year toddler started our hike which was bit late because we were staying at Tau and it took us 2.5 hours to reach kjerag parking. Physically i considered ourself fit but not very fit as after my c. Section i stopped my gym and became super busy with my daughter...Kjerag hike is very tough and demanding..rocks are very slippery and steep.. with the help of chains you have to pull urself nd it requires a lot of energy and stamina specially if u carry 5 kg back on ur back.My husband carry his daughter as well... everyone discourage us that its not safe nd nearly impossible to do this hike with baby but our courage not let us stop and after 3.5 hours we were on our destination...it was dream of my husband to stand on kjeragbolten nd he did that...so guyz nothing impossible..when there is will there is a way....cut the story short the hike is tough but worth it

Reviewed September 1, 2018

The first couple of km are really hard. Bare slippery rock face and no made pathways at all. There are chains to help pull yourself up. It gets easier after that, and coming down is not so bad because you can use the chains to absail down. Its a glorious hike.
One thing to note, we came from Stavanger and it was a Saturday so the hire car place didnt open til 9am and had a big line of people so we didnt get away until 10. The drive is very beautiful but it is on a very narriw road and its terrifying how fast the norwegians drive - straight at you. It took us a full 2 and a half hours to drive there. Parking costs NOK300. You cant avoid it as there is an attendant there who is making sure everyone is back safely by the end of the day and he seems to be aware of all hikers and cars. So we started late and as we had to catch the last ferry at 6 pm we were short of time. My fit daughter did it no problem but the time was too short for me. It was very disappointing. So dont hire a car in Stavanger on a Saturday!