“Nice old pub but ....”

The Swan Inn Woolpit
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Woolpit
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice old pub but ....”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The Swan at Woolpit has a lovely ambience on a chilly autumn evening with it's roaring fire, friendly atmosphere and relaxed surroundings. The menu which was written on blackboards is described with some gusto and is generally what you'd expect, but in my opinion, promises more than it delivers. When we were there we were unable to secure an alternative sauce to the one on the menu which left us feeling that the kitchen was a little lacking.

Visited October 2011

• Turkish first
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“The Swan, Woolpit, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The last time I visited this pub the food was ok, but, when I went to pay with my credit card the bloke got in a muddle and said it had not gone through, he then said if it comes up twice on your credit card I will give you a refund, and he did sign my bill & card receipt. Well, guess what it did come up twice on my credit card statement, and I had to go back to the Swan for a refund which was an inconvenience, as I had to explain to a different member of staff, I did get the refund but, I will not be going here again, as I feel it was a bit of a con.

4 Thank Tara310
South Coast, England
“Delicious food but disappointing portions and prices”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Let me start with the good points; the pub itself is cosy with a nice wood fire, the staff seemed nice and the food was tasty. Now the bad points; the portion sizes on the mains were small and for what you got, it was too expensive.
My husband ordered pork loin in cider sauce with mash and veg and I'm not exaggerating when I say he easily ate it in about 6 forkfulls (which isn't usual at all by the way!!) We wouldn't have really minded if we were paying around £6/£7 for it or if it was a posh restaurant even but it was £12.95 and it was essentially just pub food.
Altogether we had 2 average sized starters, 2 small mains, 1 pint of lager and a pint of diet coke and paid £47.50, so I would not say this offered good value for money at all.
Maybe we were just unlucky on the day but we won't be coming back again when we next visit the area in the summer.

• Visited February 2012
london
“Friendly, tasty, clean, good value”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have stayed here for a weekend young daughter. I found the owner to be very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It is a lovely old building and has lots of character. I loved the real fire in the bar.
I thought the food was excellent and really good value, restaraunt quality at pub prices. I especially enjoyed the breakfast and the owner was happy to make a different brekkie for my little girl who is at that "picky eating" stage.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank esme_posslethwaite
suffolk
“Nice relaxng atmosphere and lovely food”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is probably about the fifth time over a number of months that my husband and I have been here and have never been disapointed. Care and attention is always taken over the food and you can see that the ownersare enjoy what they are doing.

It is great to have a local pub that looks after its standards in not allowing a small minority ruin it for everyone else.

• Visited December 2011