“Well somewhat bizarre”

Dark Horse Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Dark Horse offers light lunches/brunch from 11am - 2.30Pm dailey (closed Monday) and evening meals 6pm - 9pm, all day Saturday & 12noon - 4pm on Sundays including roast dinners. The bar is open all day from 11am - 11pm (closed Monday)
London
“Well somewhat bizarre”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I left a review a few years ago when it was previously owned, and it wasn't very good. Under new ownership, it's ratings have gone up, and is well regarded. I see after 3 years however their website isn't finished, and now on 3 occasions we've been there on a Saturday lunchtime to suss it out. The first time, although the sign said it was open, the door was locked, so that didn't work. The next two times, again at around 1.30 on Saturdays, we've visited but the place is deserted. We've gone in, shouted "hello", walked around and given up. There was someone working in the garden last week, but when we said hello to her she just ignored us anyway.

Even though we only live in the next village (Badwell Ash) I think we won't bother driving up the pothole ridden drive and over the dodgy cattle grid to get there only to find the place deserted. I can only wonder how the current owners expect to make a go of the place though.

Obviously can't comment on the food or wine, or value for money, but the ambiance is well, empty!

6 Thank Maz945

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“distinctly average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

for such a highly rated restaurant ,I can only say that I was disapointed.The food was ok but not particuarly memorable .there were only two tables dining and the restaurant felt rather cold and damp.
The prices seemed reasonable but generally not a place to get too excited about

3 Thank darkconstellation
Paris, France
“Wins on atmosphere and original setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The owner of this restaurant told us that he moved from Shoreditch in London. He certainly brought some of the atmosphere with him and the Dark Horse is an original find in this rural setting. The team makes every effort to make sure you are looked after and the decor is fun and trendy, having turned a stable into a great venue.

There were 13 of us and they managed to serve us all in good time and we all got our first choice. My only negative point is that the Dark Horse could be a victim of its own success. The streams of positive reviews and higher than average price bracket catapult your expectations; while it all my boxes in terms of atmosphere and setting, I thought the food was a little less adventurous than I had expected. Then again I should have listened to the owner's recommendation and ordered the Beef Bourgignon, made from a locally-reared cow, which my friends ordered and looked really tasty.

So I'll definitely go back if I'm in the vicinity again but take the advice of the owner on the selection of main course.

Suffolk UK
“Good food and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Four of us had an evening meal at this restaurant having been recommended it by a friend. The location is very different from any other restaurant I have visited. There was a warm welcome on arrival and the staff were very efficiant at seeing to our needs straight away. After ordering or meal we were very soon takne through to the dinning room and the food was served at a god paced. We never felt we were waiting to long or being rusted. The staff were very attentive. Although the menu isn't huge there was plenty to choose from. When the food arrived it was eceptionally good. Great flavours and original. The plates were well presented making the whole expierence that much more enjoyable. We finished our meal and sat chatting for sometime, until we were the last there and although the staff were making ready for the next day there was no hint from them that it was time to leave.
Our only critisim was that the buiding was quite cold, so if you go in the winter then make sure you have a jumper.
The cost was not cheap but then we did get quality, excellent service and a fantastic location, which you don't get at your average restaurant.

1 Thank Petersuffolkuk
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beat British experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have lived in the uk for 5 years. I had the best freshest food there. Best service and presentation. Best atmosphere. Value for money. Everything was great. Left a massive tip because of the great food and service my husband and I received. Made for a great anniversary. Highly recommend!!!!!!

1 Thank Aberchic58