Open today: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews water buffalo lao cai for sale fruit flower hmong sa pa long drive ethnic minorities sunday morning chinese border train station be careful traditional costumes fresh produce interesting experience all kinds live animals
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Loved wondering around this fascinating market. Didn't have trouble with taking photos of people. Though some waved no and we complied with that.
We stayed overnight so wandered around the market while it was being set up and much quieter.
As someone mentioned, be careful of being ripped off with coffee and nuts etc. It happened to some of our friends too.
We also visited the Can Cau market further up towards the Chinese Border - even better than Bac Ha.
You do get hassled at both markets to buy bags etc, which we did, but it was all good fun. Much preferred to buy from these markets than in a shop. Items very authentic.

1  Thank NettyA
Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you are heading up to Sapa try to time it so you can see the Bac Ha market on the Sunday. It is an amazing place. At the front are a lot of more tourist focused stands but go behind and you will see the food area, the local stands, and then further back the livestock markets (horses by the river, cows on the hill etc). In between there are cats, dogs, ducks, chickens and most other things for sale.

I would recommend going with a local as they know it well and can also help with introductions. Also learn a few local words too as I found it much easier to get people to pose for pics, if I said hello and how are you to them in the local language. Thank you was also well used too.

Over all I rate Bac Ha market as one of my Vietnam highlights. I spent most of the day here even to when it started to wind down and people were leaving for home. The food was great too.

Funniest bit was I had the locals rolling on the floor laughing when I bought a single carrot and had the stall owner peel it for me. The smallest note I had was a 20,000 dong (NZ$1.20) so I happily gave her this for the carrot - apparently I could have bought most of the carrots she had for this much. Then when they saw me eat a single raw carrot for a snack this was even funnier for some reason?

Some great photos of people laughing so well worth it.

4  Thank crosis
Reviewed April 16, 2012

loved everything about this market. wasnt really hassled much to buy stuff. Only problem is the locals dont like you taking photos of them and want to be paid.

2  Thank utherpen a
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My goal with this review is simple ... I do not want one more person to make the same ( simple) mistake I made. It is easy while traveling to sit down, order a beer, and then ask the price after the fact. I got into this routine. So upon entering the Bac Ha market , there was a lady ( 40-50ish) who called out to foreigners for coffee or tea. I asked how much, but she muddled around getting me and my boyfirend a beer, so I didn't think twice. She put a few peanuts in front as well. When all was said and done ( 2 beers and the peanuts later) she said everything came to $10. She brought in some Vietnamese man to make the point we had to pay. Now, back in Canada $10 may seem reasonable, but it's the principle here that has made me write this. She didn't tell us the price, and charged us at least 5 times the value of the drinks. Be careful if you decide to sit down for tea/ coffee/beer. Clearly discuss the price for each drink, and be careful with peanuts!!!!

11  Thank Musicandtravel_10
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The market of Bac Ha is located about 50 minutes of Sapa. It has multiple parts, sale of animals, blacksmiths, meat, fruits and vegetables as well as prepared foods, and finally, crafts, what the tourists like the most. Particularly, I love weavings and embroidery by hand. So I bought beautiful handbags, hats, bedspreads, cushion covers... Also bought a complete women outfit of the Flower Hmong people, very colorful and beautiful. Untill today the women wear their traditional costumes, even for work in the fields, as we could see on the roads. It`s also the women who sell in the market, old and young, many carrying their children on their backs. Most men we saw were in the bars, drinking and talking.
There are only simple restaurants in the city, which has not much to see beyond the market.

3  Thank Mariafaria