“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #1 of 2 Les Vigneaux B&B and Inns
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Place”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Spent 3 nights with Sandrine and Gary on 13/7/13. What a wonderful place, relaxing, quiet and peaceful with beautiful views across the mountains. Very comfortable and clean with excellent beds. Sandrine and Gary were lovely hosts and Gary's home cooking was fabulous with 3 courses every night, examples:Irish Stew, Shepherds Pie, Tartiflette, Leek Tart and Rhubarb crumble, all amazing and probably the best food I had during the whole 13 day trip!

They have a lovely old dog, Luther, who is part of the family and is usually found fast asleep on the landing. The whole place felt like home from home and I really didn't want to leave!

A small tip for those of you who are not sure what a "Gite d'Etape" is, as I didn't. It was explained to me that 'Etape' means 'stage' and as the area is popular for hiking, many people hike, stay overnight ,move on, hike somewhere else and move on. So Etapes are, perhaps you could say, overnight staging posts for some, to be fed and watered with a comfortable bed. For others, who wish to see the area and stay longer, it is a lovely place to stay. Because of this, it is advisable to bring your own hairdryer, shower gel/soap, shampoo, towels (although you can hire a towel for 1 Euro) etc, as these are not provided.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 1st floor at the front of the Gite, with a balcony and beautiful views across th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tracy CA
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed three nights at Les Carlines in July. Wonderful setting in the heart of France. Owners Gary and Sandrine were very welcoming and wonderful hosts. Gary cooks the meals which are excellent. My wife and I highly recommend this gite and would love to return.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Idaho
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in July and loved it. Great food, great people, comfortable rooms and beds, and a beautiful setting. We stayed here because we were running a race in nearby L'Argentière-la-Bessée. The place was full of racers the night before and Sandrine and Gary accommodated us and made a delicious pasta dinner. My husband and I are vegetarian and they made us special vegetarian meals both nights. They also served breakfast earlier than usual on the morning of the race. We had a room with a beautiful view and a private bath. Gary and Sandrine are knowledgeable on things to do in the area and willing to help plan/coordinate according to your needs. I would highly recommend staying here and hope to go back someday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is our third year staying at Les Carlines, summer mountain hiking in an enchanting setting.
The owners Gary and Sandrine are wonderful going out of their way as we had a baby with us this year, Sandrine lent our party hiking boots and socks and went to the Tourist office to find brochure on easy walks for the beginners.
Les Carlines is by far the cleanest,friendliest gite I have stayed in, we all thoroughly recommend it.
Gary's food is awesome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I see that Andy Wing has already reviewed this gite and I can concur with his comments; Murray was my guide too. I had stayed there a year earlier, also ice-climbing. Sometimes I find unreasonable carping comments by some reviewers and they might consider the context of their stay. In my case I wasn't looking for a 5-star hotel. I wanted a room ensuite, good plentiful food (not a Michelen rated restaurant), friendly hosts who spoke English and knew their region, and could offer constructive suggestions (I borrowed a pair of snow shoes before the climbing began and walked to Vallouise & back), a comfortabke bed and warm room and, hopefully, other guests who were friendly and communicative. I had no grumbles and, if I am fit enough to climb again, I shall not hesitate to stay at L.C.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms were en suite, so ask about this when booking.
Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cairneyhill, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have stayed here on many occasions and can thoroughly recommend it. The food is excellent as is the hospitality, Sandrine and Gary are fantastic hosts and Sandrine who is french speaks fluent english. It is an ideal base for all types of outdoor activities in summer and in winter. The gite is situated in a fantastic setting, well worth a visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Olga H
uk
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have just come back from a long weekend ice climbing, staying at Gites les Carlines.
Nice room looking out over mountains with small en-suite bathroom. Drying room for gear, dining room was light and warm with a wood fuelled stove which created nice atmosphere. Great wifi.

Owners were really friendly and the food was superb. Other guests were a good mix of skiers and climbers. Really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Vallouise
Hotel Saint-Roch
Hotel Saint-Roch
#1 of 1 in Puy-Saint-Vincent

Been to Gite les Carlines? Share your experiences!