Open today: 10:30 AM - 4:45 PM

Good canalside location. Excellent cafe. Interesting small museum

Reviewed September 25, 2018
S G
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom

All reviews family party peaceful walk dog walkers cafe selling excellent cafe boat trip feed the ducks lovely sunny day stunning scenery adventure playground lodge park swing bridge towpath wildlife toilets boats canalside
Reviewed 1 week ago

Discovered this beautiful spot by the canal after driving past it for years. I was looking for somewhere for lunch with a hungry little one so pulled in expecting to maybe find a coffee and a sandwich...there is so much more.

We started off with a walk along the "inland water way" as my little one calls it...(it's like a canal cul-du-sac next to the main canal) looking at the wonderfully well kept and lovingly looked after boats with a quick run over the swing bridge and I'm hungry ha ha.

Then on to the cafe with a full English breakfast for me, and fish cake and chips for the little one...it's amazingly good value and just what you'd expect from a cafe, along with awesome staff...the young lad that served us will clearly go far in life.

Next the adventure playground....it's probably intended for late primary/early secondary but it's actually great for toddlers learning balance and confidence with jumping/climbing. First time round it was hand holding and "I can't do it Daddy" by the time it was time to leave he was 10 foot up the climbing wall asking for help over the top to climb down the ropes ha ha!

All in all this is an absolute gem...you can spend 15 mins here having a quick cuppa or literally hours exploring and having fun...plus there's a train track at the same level as the canal where you can regularly see them whizzing past.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

We attended a family party/barn dance here in a marquee by the canal. The facilities are good and we had an excellent breakfast in the café. The small canal museum was interesting. I understand that the campsite is seasonal but is to be updated next season.

Reviewed September 15, 2018

We had a nice walk along the canal, there is a good playground for kids, cafe and several benches and picnic tables. It was quite busy. Good for children. Parking available.

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

I’ve visited here many times, walking my Labrador in the woods and along the canal to Frimley lodge park. Where my children would play on the adventure playground and feed the ducks. Some days my children would ride their bikes too. Or enjoy the mini rail way, (Frimley lodge)
Last week now a little older. We hired a rowing boat with friends. We had lots of fun for an hour on the canal. As too were lots of other families paddle boarding, and out in peddloes. After we enjoyed an icecream and drinks. There is a cafe selling food as well as the main reception which sells a few bits.
They have camping here too.

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We pop here frequently to take a walk and stop for a coffee. Coffee shop staff always seem friendly. Nice place for chilled out afternoon.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

Its not a day out but a great place to spend an hour or two. You can go on a narrow boat ride, rent a rowing boat or just have a dink in the cafe but best of all you can just watch people. Theres a small camp site in the next field well worth staying a few nights.

1  Thank peterggreen2018
Reviewed August 8, 2018

The Canal Heritage Footpath, follows the route of the canal from where it left Basingstoke Wharf, for approx. 2 miles to the ruins of Basing House.
The area where the Wharf was, in now built over by Festival Place.
I started from Eastrop Link, continued through Eastrop Park into the underpass, then followed the Cycle Path till I found the Canal Heritage Information Board on my right showing the 'Waymarked Signs' to Basing Fen.
From here, I enjoyed a shaded path along the bed of the canal, to the water-meadows & Fen, and past the original Swing Bridge Cottages, (built in 1840 and still in use), into Redbridge Lane.
Left the path here to investigate the bridge. The 'Swing' bridge had been replaced with a 'Fixed' wooden bridge about 1910, which I could see the remains of. Although the canal has largely been filled in over time, you can still determine the route from here.
Going on down Redbridge Lane I turned right into the Lime Pitts, and followed the Waymarked route along the side of the common as far as 'Red Bridge'. There is a Canal Heritage information board here.
Continued up the hill of Basing Common and came out at Crown Lane, passing the British Legion Club then turning left I was at the entrance to Basing House.
Opposite this is the Grand Tudor Barn.

1  Thank Wanderer1370
Reviewed July 28, 2018

We came to the canal after seeing an ad for it on Facebook. Upon arriving both the 2pm and 3pm canal trips were fully booked so instead we opted to hire a pedalo. We were advised there was an hours wait but decided to wait as there was a park for the little ones to play in. All in all a beautiful spot to spend the afternoon, we had good fun on the pedalo and enjoyed a family afternoon out. Free parking was also a bonus.

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely day by and on the canal here. Visitors centre very informative and trip on the narrow boat Rosebud delightful. Lots to see and do here from picnics and children’s playground to boat hire and lovely canal side walks. Good day out for the whole family

1  Thank annmoore49
Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

Sadly, long stretches of this charming waterway are hidden from the towpath by a wall of weeds.

We walked seven miles from Brookwood to West Byfleet and were disappointed to find ourselves 'cut off' from the canal by tall bracken and stinging nettles.

There was evidence of structural work taking place, with barges full of gravel, etc. But tackling vegetation doesn't seem to be a priority.

If regular volunteers can't be found to strim the banks, could the work not be done by offenders on community service?