“Hovering between v good and excellent”
Review of The Moody Cow

The Moody Cow
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Country Pub and Dining specialising in authentic, home made food using local, fresh produce as much as possible. Located in a delightful village setting just mintutes from junction 4 of the M50. Children, dogs and muddy boots are welcome as long as they are accompanied by well behaved adults!
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Moody Cow. Quaint English village, pretty pub, pretty nice rustic interior. Busy, busy, busy. We were on a family outing with 13 people involved and it was a bit cramped around our massive table, which was itself in a little bit of a cramped position near the bar. But ok, 13 is a lot of people. The Moody Cow is clearly popular, and people were being turned away which I do not like to see, especially if there are some empty seats (which there were, in the bar). I'm not sure whether it's the fact that people are being turned away or the manner in which it is done. I have rarely seen anyone turned away with grace and charm. The poor old folks turned away on this occasion were treated with a hint of exasperation. Anyway, onto the meal. It's a nice menu, though a bit confusing because there were a couple of different menus floating around and they didn't all say the same thing! It took us a while to establish this. The waitress went and sorted it out, and came back with all the right menus. I had sea bass, which was possibly a mistake since it is almost impossible to find sea bass in-land that is as excellent as the sea bass one can get here in Falmouth, from the fish shop. And it was on a bed of crushed new potatoes that were curiously quite oily. Anyway, the fish was pretty flavourful but very, very small. The legal minimum size for sea-bass is 36cm from head to tail. These were very small fillets, so I think the proprietor needs to have a word with their supplier. Maybe he will, too, because in other respects he seems very switched on with a car share scheme advertised where commuters leave their car in the car park and continue in shared cars. Neat. My daughter had fish and chips, which she said was good. My husband had a four cheese tart which was disappointing. It was very oily, which is always a bad sign. It tasted of slightly burned pizza. He was not very pleased. My sister-in-law had a beef burger which was less of a burger and more of a cricket ball sized meat ball. She said it was great though. It was hard to say how the rest of the table got on as they were quite far away but some ribs seemed to be going down well at the far end. The puddings were impressive - see photos. My husband always judges a restaurant by its creme brulee and he thought this one was pretty good. An ice cream sundae also went down well. The landlord came round and asked after everyone. My impression is of a well run pub which has a really good reputation in the local area and this is probably justified. When a pub has such a great reputation, I think I set the bar a little higher. It was really good, but was it really amazing? Maybe. But you won't go home disappointed. Remember to book in advance, so you don't get turned away!

2  Thank OutAndAbout40
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for your review.
I take your point regarding the menus, we did, on the day you visited us, have another more limited menu for a larger group who were eating in the dining room and initially this was offered by mistake, I am sorry for the confusion this caused.

I am concerned about the observation you made when we turned a couple away, we hate to have to turn away any guests, and although the empty seats that you noticed fail to reflect the fact that our kitchens were working at full capacity it is very important that this is always handled with tact and diplomacy, I have reviewed our training in this respect and would like to thank you for making me aware.

I think you make a valid point regarding sea bass, we are careful to source all our fish from sustainable stocks, when we specify wild sea bass we insist on a minimum whole fish size of 45-48cm and fillet it ourselves. There is a view that 36cm is too small for female fish to reach full maturity and landing fish of this size is damaging spawning stocks.

Most of the sea bass that we serve is farmed, and this is what we offered on the day you visited us, when we serve the fillets on a bed of crushed new potatoes they are infused with garlic and butter, this tends to clarify and seperate which would explain the oily nature that you found curious, this is a characteristic of the dish and I am quite comfortable with it served this way.

I am concerned that your husband was disappointed with his three cheese tart and the photograph does indicate that the dish was slightly over cooked, I wish that I had spotted it at the time, or had it been pointed out to me I would have replaced it straight away.

It would seem that the rest of your extended family enjoyed the occasion and another review posted soon after the event would appear to confirm this.

Thank you once again for your review.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Don't go to the end go the M50 without without taking the third left round the island and head for Upton Bishop (2 miles) and visit the Moody Cow --possible book first !!!

You will get a very friendly and professional welcome from Dawn and her staff ---O nearly forgot Chris !!! Sorry LOL

The range and quality of the food is just superb --fresh, expertly cooked --thanks go to the kitchen, well done guys and possible girls ---nice choice of local beers and well chosen wine list plus advice .

The atmosphere is great with settees and log fires and also a big hit with the locals that gives it the extra edge .

Well up on our list and will return ...

Go Try !!!!

1  Thank Derek P

Thank you for your lovely review, We are so pleased that you dopped by on your way to Devizes.

It was our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was travelling back to Manchester from Cardiff and needed to stop for some lunch - my boss had promised me a 'country pub' lunch but we couldnt find anywhere en-route. We got desparate, he spotted a KFC - I died inside, but as we went to do a u-turn I saw a little trendy black and white sign for The Moody Cow which was a country mile and a bit from the road....

I used my womanly charm to persuade him it was a better option than KFC - I won! We went on, it felt longer than a mile on the road up to the pub with minimal signage - then it appeared.

Walked in, greeted warmly, it was busy but had tables and despite it being nearly 2pm we were still able to order lunch. I ordered a burger - i didnt pay too much attention to the description on the menu, i was so hungry and on the verge of eating my own arm. Then it arrived.....

Flavour like you have never, and I mean, never tasted before...the Burger had a melting gooey middle of yummyness and each side of the bun had different toppings - I couldnt tell you want they were but I can still taste it when I think about it!

If I lived near by, I would be in there all the time - in an age when pub food is dominated by BOGOF and mediocrity this place is a breath of fresh air and the kind of place you hope to find when someone promises you a nice pub lunch in the country :-)

1  Thank Chippyqueen
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We are so pleased that you noticed our sign and weren't put off by the one and a half mile drive to us from the M50.

I do hope that we will see you again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Once again an enjoyable evening turned into another gastronomic experience. We avoided having our usual favourites and discovered new delights. Looking forward to our next visit when we shall be taking our friends.

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

We are so thrilled that you were tempted to try out new dishes and discovered new delights.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back very soon and wish you a very happy time in your new cottage.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Arrived at 18:30 - did not have a starter, main course arrived at 19:20. Barely acceptable particularly as the restaurant was not busy. Pudding arrived at 20:50 (lack of menus!) Totally unacceptable. This is our second poor experience at the Moody Cow and we will not be back, which is a pity as the food is very good. Considering the prices charged the service is just not up to it.

2  Thank Bernard P

My heart sank when I read it, the experience you describe represents such a breakdown of our usual service standards that we are sure it would stand out, but, even after consulting our entire team, none of us can recollect such a set of circumstances.

I have written to you requesting additional information that may help me to understand what went wrong so that we can strengthen areas of weakness but at the time of writing have not received a reply from you.

We are passionate, not only about the quality of our food, but also the service that we provide, feedback helps us to continually improve and when we make a mistake we are open and honest about it and strive to learn the lesson so that the same mistake cannot be repeated.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us and quite understand your reluctance to return.