“Great pub in charming location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Moody Cow

The Moody Cow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Country Pub and Dining specialising in authentic, home made food using local, fresh produce as much as possible. Located in a delightful village setting just mintutes from junction 4 of the M50. Children, dogs and muddy boots are welcome as long as they are accompanied by well behaved adults!
London, United Kingdom
“Great pub in charming location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Dog-friendly, people-friendly pub in a lovely setting with good decor and very good, friendly service. The food is good without being ground-breaking, but then you wouldn't go to a pub for that. Really good value too.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Moody Cow and hope we will see you again when you are next nearby.

Kind regards,

Manchester
“Anniversary meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had a lovely anniversary meal in this lovely country pub.

The meal was more expensive than your average pub but the quality of the food was much better than your average pub.

Service was excellent as we don't like to eat courses too quickly and we found the timing to be perfect.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. We are delighted that we helped to make your anniversary meal memorable and do hope that we see you again next time you are in the area.

Kind regards

leahodgy
“gorgeous food and a real friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

we had a lovely four course meal we started with bread and olives on the sofas as we were early and our table was just being cleared. The owners we very attentive they bought our drinks and some menus over and let us know what had sold out as they were very busy. There was still a huge amount to choose from and we were so impressed with the quality. My husband had venison and it just melted in your mouth. I had the duck which was perfectly cooked. We had a taxi booked an hour after we finished our meal, and the pub emptied out quite early which left just me and my husband and dawn one of the owners. She was so friendly and was chatting away to us til the taxi turned up which was nice and made us feel we weren't in the way. It still wasn't long enough for my husband to solve the bar puzzle though !!!!!! I would recommend 100%

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and recommendation. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Moody Cow. When I read our guest reviews to our young team of chefs it is a delight to see their faces light up. Only one person has managed to solve the puzzle, so your husband is in very good company!

It was a delight to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Unfortunately, we never got to try the food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

When we arrived during a busy Saturday lunch service on 30 April, we were lucky to secure the last table. No menus were available owing to the arrival of a large party. I didn't know this, however, and when I asked for a menu I was met with some annoyance but one of the waiters, who I believe owing to his subsequent behaviour is also one of the managers, gave me one as soon as I asked for it. When he returned a while later to take orders from my husband and myself, I asked if my hamburger could be cooked 'well done'. Inexplicably, he was visibly offended by this request and refused to answer me directly. When I asked him again, he said, 'If you don't trust me to cook your hamburger correctly, then I have a suggestion, which is that you leave. There is another restaurant just down the road.' I was amazed by his nastiness, and of course my husband and I got up to leave. When I was nearly out the door, I thought to pick up one of the restaurant calling cards so that I would know where to send my complaint, but this same person, who had obviously guessed what I was doing, actually blocked me with his body from reaching the counter where the stack of cards was located. I said, 'I just want to take away a little card' to which he angrily and sarcastically replied, 'Well, I'm not going to give you a little card!' I think this incident speaks for itself, and certainly owing to such extremely rude and completely uncalled for behaviour towards a customer I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ruth709
Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Sometimes, thankfully in our case, very rarely, we receive a guest that it would be impossible to please.
We did have a large party that had booked several weeks in advance, and when you arrived we did accommodate you with a table in our dining room and one menu between the two of you, none of our other guests seemed to have any difficulty with sharing, but you demanded another, which I got for you as soon as I could and I explained to you why we had a temporary shortage.

when I came to take your order you dismissed me saying that you were nowhere near ready to order and then, no sooner had I taken a neighbouring tables order then you ushered me back.

When I returned to ask you what you what you would like us to cook you for your lunch you did ask for our homemade fillet steak beef burger and requested that we cook it well, I have no problem with this at all, I assured you that we would cook your burger well, but this clearly did not satisfy you and you proceeded to repeat the request three times, each time I assured you and each time I clearly failed to convince you no matter what form of words I selected.
It was at this point that I suggested that if you could not trust us to cook your food properly then it would be better for you to eat elswhere.

This was a difficult decision for me to take, but I have a responsibility to provide a great atmosphere and service to all of our guests, once you had left a neighbouring table actually thanked me for taking the action that I did.

Those potential guests of the Moody Cow taking the time to read this will form their own opinion, and I am sure will look at your review in the context of the many others that have been posted by our guests from the same day you visited us.
I would like to thank you for teaching me a lesson though, we really should not have a shortage of menus regardless of whether we have a large party or not, so I have ordered more and one minor point, it was actually Friday not Saturday.
Gloucester
“Good food & Host”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having been unable to find a table at another pub in the area that we use frequently we decided to try the Moody Cow. Last time we came here it was in need of some TLC and the welcome was not too friendly ( that was a few years ago) and we have stayed away since.

We soon realised that there were new owners and the interior had been given that bit of TLC that was required. There were 5 of us and we were given the table just to the right of the main door from the car park. Our drinks order was taken and we were given a few minutes to peruse the menu. Three starters were ordered along with a few "nibbles" to be going on with. These all arrived quickly and soon after our table was cleared the mains arrived. All the food was cooked to perfection, portion sizes were fairly reasonable & we did ask for some more veg (3 of us are big eaters). We were tempted by the puddings and these were polished off.

Two small comments in that if we returned on a cold / windy occassion we would rather not sit by the door as there was a draft as people entered ( but in fairness we had not booked and were glad to be fitted in). The music was also a little loud but this was turned down on request.

To be honest we were surprised by the welcome and quality of food as our previous experiences of the Moody Cow had perhaps stuck in the memory. Will we visit again, Yes without doubt.

Chris B, Owner at The Moody Cow, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review and recommendation.

We are so pleased that you noticed such an improvement since your last visit some years ago. Since saving the Moody Cow from closure just over 18 months ago the whole team has worked hard to turn a failed business around, and we are nowhere near finished yet!

It is great that you have now found us, and know what we do, for our part we promise that we will never take your custom for granted and will strive to make each visit at least as good as the last.

Kindest regards,