“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hostelrie at Goodrich Restaurant

The Hostelrie at Goodrich Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Goodrich
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Hostelrie at Goodrich is a country inn with rooms, a restaurant and bar. The 18th century gothic style building is situated in the pretty village of Goodrich, which is in the stunning Wye Valley close to the edge of the beautiful Forest of Dean surrounded by many historic market towns such as Ross on Wye and Monmouth the gateway to Wales. The Hosterlrie is family owned and run by the Landlord Ayrton. We want to make your experience with us memorable by providing a warm, friendly atmosphere along with great food, a fine selection of local ales and good wines.We look forward to welcoming you at the Hostelrie. Ayrton Lowther
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

As a family or a couple, we've been to The Hostelrie about 8 times this year. A new chef has been brought in and is making a fantastic impact.

To date, not one bad meal. Burgers are very tasty, steaks are very tender and beautifully cooked, pies are excellent. The menu is simple but uses local produce and is well presented. Last week I had ham, egg and chips - simple, the ham was probably the best I've ever tasted.

The new owner is turning the place around and we are very happy to be part of this.

Visited April 2014

Reading, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing Rock solid mushee peas and "Half a Burger!?!"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I decided to book a table for Saturday lunch as there were 7 in our party including two children and after looking at their impressive website and reviews on Tripadvisor I assumed it would be busy.
They didn't reply to my booking enquiry by email, there was no answer when i phoned, so I had to pop in to book the table...and I don't live locally! so not the best start!
When we arrived on the day booked, the place was completely empty (so was no need to book ironically!) but we were greeted by a friendly lady.
The menu was not the same as on the website (which is why we booked, again ironically!) Instead of the locally sourced beautiful cuts of simply cooked meat etc. the menu they gave us was just a bog standard mish mash of a pub menu.
They had run out of three of the mains chosen by our party! and as i initially agreed with the pub owners view on serving children the same food as adults (not chicken nuggets etc) we ordered a burger for one of the children.
However, when the food arrived she was not impressed to receive an adult burger that had been cut in half! ...where was the other half, we joked about it being kept on ice for the next child ordering a burger?! Or was it the chefs snack?!
I had the worst meal of fish and chips I had ever eaten, the mushy peas looked they had been sitting on the plate for days and then nuked in the microwave for an hour the crust was so thick and hard!
A friendly man chatted to us while we ate, which turned out to be the new ish owner! But he did not ask us if we were enjoying our meal or needed anything. He was more interested in telling us about the new climbing frame he had just bought for the pub garden!
Very nice for the kids, but maybe he should have sorted out the basics like food, menu and service first!
After we had finished as we all wanted desert or coffee, but there was no one around to order from and no dessert menu or board to be found, so we left! and will definitely not return or recommend.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fortheloveofpie
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Steak cooked to perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

The new landlord Ayrton is very welcoming and truly makes a customer feel at home. I sat in a lovely spot next to the wood burner where I ordered a Rib Eye Steak from the specials board and I have to say it was cooked to perfection. I feel I must comment on the presentation as it was very eye catching with an array of salad, mushrooms and a whole fried tomato accompanied by a bowl of chips.

The wine menu is extensive and I could easily have drunk too much :)

• Visited February 2014
barnsley
“nice little pub great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

10 of us had a great meal in a small village nice log fire nice staff lots on special board apart from vegaterian options would return

Visited December 2013
“10 out of 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Came here a few times during the new year period, found the food superb and at good prices, staff and landlord are very helpful and friendly. Shall stay here on business when back in the area.

Visited January 2014