The Hostelrie at Goodrich
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Paddocks Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)
$96
The Chase Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)
$127
Hotels.com
The King's Head Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)
$98
$95
Travelocity
Premier Inn Ross-On-Wye Hotel(Ross-on-Wye)(Great Value!)
$73
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Penyard House(Weston under Penyard)
$71
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
$62
$56
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswye valleycod and chipslovely beer gardenwarm welcomepub lunchlovely innlocal beerfull english breakfasttwin roomposter bedexcellent foodstaff were really friendlypiebeautiful buildingan overnight stayold buildingowners and staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had an overnight stay and will definitely stay here in the future
A very warm welcome on arrival for both us and our dog.
Bedroom was comfortable with all the usual facilities.(the owner informed us that eventually all the bedrooms will be getting a make over to match the one the downstairs has already received)
The Bar and Restaurant are well decorated and welcoming,the bar serving a selection of real ales and ciders.
The menu was small but had something for everyone with some interesting choices alongside the more usual.
Our evening meal was good as was the breakfast

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

People who are reading these reviews should ignore the previous comment. I stayed at the hostelrie on the 27th April and have nothing but good things to say.
The food was obviously freshly cooked and well worth the 15 minute wait, if anyone expects food to be any faster should really of gone to McDonald's.
the staff were highly attentive to our every need and we instantly felt welcome from the minute we walked in to the minute we left.
This is not the ritz! its a small local village inn with the personal touch to make this a excellent stay.
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and have already booked to stay again!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Beki_928
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I took a friend here for an evening meal following a recommendation by her friend. First impressions were quite good. The bar looked appealing after the quirky exterior. We were welcomed in a fashion and ordered our drinks before being seated in one of the window tables. This is not in the bar, but is within 6 ft of it, however you get charged extra for being in the 'restaurant'!
The menu was not extensive but adequate. Not so for anyone who doesn't eat meat.
I chose the belly pork dish, my family had the sea bass and a wild rice risotto. Our guest choose to have two starters, something which proved a wise move.
Our food arrived about 20 minutes later and I was very disappointed. It was tiny to say the least. The pork sat on a bed of lukewarm mash. It was no more than two inches square and was quite tasteless. It was served with two tiny stripes of leek - all this for £16! This was neither fine dining nor hearty pub food and really fell in between.
My family's dishes were equally small and pricey. My friends liver starters were bigger than my main dish - how can that be?
To add insult to injury my father was very I'll with an upset stomach almost as soon as we got back to our B&B and remained so for the next two days!
I can see what this pub is trying to do - the nearest pub serves traditional pub food in large portions - I can only feel that they were trying to go the fine dining route. Unfortunately the quality doesn't match the price charged and the portions are so very small. A shame, but given that they have not long been open I hope that they are in a learning phase and take on comments from disappointed customers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wiggy82
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Hostelrie at Goodrich is a hotel, pub and restaurant and is incredible at being all three!
My boyfriend and I spent a few nights here over the Easter weekend and what a treat it was. The owner, Ayrton, has only just taken over the place and from what I can tell has totally brought it back to life.
The pub is a great size with lots of drink choices, a roaring Charnwood stove and great atmosphere...the food in the Restaurant is literally to die for and our 4 poster bed in the room was possibly the comfiest bed I have ever slept in!

The surrounding area is beautiful with lots of great walks - which Ayrton is more than happy to recommend/explain and Goodrich Castle is just a 5 min walk away...

I honestly couldn't recommend this place enough and we will certainly be back when the weather is warmer to try out the beer garden!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have just come home from an overnight stay and were very impressed. We had a family gathering over Easter as my wifes' parents live in goodrich. With 12 of us descending on their house my father-in law put us up at this great establishment. Thoroughly loveley. The new owner Ayrten has only been there since January but the changes are happening and in a brilliant way.
When we have dropped in there over the years it was nice , quaintish.., nice ..
Now he is turning it around big time! Our room was the first to be updated. Good colour scheme ,etc four poster bed good shower real flowers.Just loveley
The other couples who were part of our group enjoyed their rooms but were a tad envious of ours.Their rooms will be updated soon.
Downstairs bar had a good range of wines and beers.Braekfast was whatever you want(within reason ) and the family meal for 12 was superb. i could go on about the menu but hit their website and see for yourself.
But the main thing that so impressed all of us was their very friendly down to earth Real people friendliness. I think they have become part of our extended family already. To sum up, things have changed/ are changing, staff are greatand we will all be back when the weather picks up. Keep going Ayrten the right way to go!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends