“Brussels Sprouts to Brag About”
Review of Nepenthe

Nepenthe
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TEMPORARILY CLOSED - Nepenthe is closed until Mid-may due to road closures north and south. But we have a skeleton crew here for the duration cleaning, repainting, repairing, and preparing for the day we are back in business again
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Brussels Sprouts to Brag About”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I had a salad and sandwich at this restaurant, which is by no means cheap, but probably has one of the best views in the world: the Big Sur coastline. Anyway, I decided to take a chance and order the Brussels sprouts salad - it sounded terrible but the waitress told me it was her favorite item on the menu...and it was awesome. I lived in this area for about 7 months a long time ago, but never had much cash. It was fun to come back and have a beautiful lunch here.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Fresno, California
“Will Not Disappoint”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Had a glass of wine looking out at sunset. Beautiful area, but it does get quite crowded. Parking can be a bit of an issue.

Visited December 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“a dissapointment”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have driven the CA1 road a few times and have always stopped here for the view, the rest and a beer before going on my way. Until now, my stops have been outside of restaurant serving hours. This time, my wife and I deliberately timed our drive so as to have lunch at Nepenthe.

It pains me to say that this place is all view and no performance. The food is unimaginative and mediocre at best. Better can be had at any number places. The staff borders on surly and the wait was long.

I wish we had never had lunch here so I could maintain my fantasy of how good it must be.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Pete S
Oslo, Norway
“Friendly and nice in Big Sur”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is a gay restaurant in Big Sur. It also has a cafe, but if you're in for lunch or dinner you should probably choose the restaurant. You can eat inside or outside. If you eat outside choose the part facing the ocean. It's a terrific view.
The waiters are frIendly and amusing and give you good recommondations. We had three different meals and we were all very satisfied! The restaurant serve several good wines, but if you are driving it is not a good advice!

• Visited July 2014
simi valley
“What a view!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The view comes and goes depending on the weather (fog), but when the fog lifts, wow, wow, wow! The food is average but worth it just for the view if it's not too foggy. This was my second time here and I'll be back, even if it's just for the ambiance.

Visited June 2014