“Great view but ambiance only goes so far for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Nepenthe

Nepenthe
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: TEMPORARILY CLOSED - Nepenthe is closed until Mid-may due to road closures north and south. But we have a skeleton crew here for the duration cleaning, repainting, repairing, and preparing for the day we are back in business again
Fremont, California
“Great view but ambiance only goes so far for lunch”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went to Nepenthe for lunch after a hike at Point Lobos. It is the most visually delightful restaurant I have ever been in and the bar selection was outstanding. With that said, I wish the food aspect of the restaurant would step up their game just a little bit. I had the Shrimp BLT. The shrimp were good but it came with no tomato--and on an untoasted French roll. The Cole Slaw was bland and runny and tasted institutional. My partner order the ground burger sandwich and it was good.

My margarita and outstanding service was the only reason I gave this place 4 stars.

Please visit this place, but first maybe eat somewhere else or just have the burger and a drink.

Cost of this experience: food and drink= aprox. $80.00

Yes I would visit again.

• Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Carmichael, California
“Wonderful view, wonderful food!”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I recently stopped here on my way from San Luis Obispo to Pacific Grove. It was the perfect stopping place and offered beautiful views of the coastline, as well as delicious food. I would recommend it to any traveler who appreciates beauty and wants a good meal.

Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“AMBIANCE pays for itself!”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This restaurant has one of the most amazing views I have ever experienced while eating dinner. My boyfriend and I had an AMAZING dinner here, with wine, cheese plate, salads and desserts. The restaurant was mostly empty (we were there on a Sunday evening) and we were provided great service. The food was simple but great--the cheese selection and wine pairing was outstanding. We gushed about this restaurant for days. Not the easiest to get to, but the wait is well worth it!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Claregrb
San Francisco, California
“Great View!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had a cheese course and a half-bottle of wine just before sunset. The wine list is good. The cheese was cold, just out of the refrigerator, unfortunately, as they were excellent choices (Point Reyes, Humboldt Fog and Monterey Jack).

Visited January 2014
Napier, New Zealand
“Best Burger EVER!!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

A gorgeous place to stop and admire the views. We didnt book in advance so we didnt get to sit outside - but we had a nice table inside looking at the mountain views. Not only is this a wonderful place to admire the views but the venison and blue cheese burger was a sensation!! The BEST burger ever. Wonderful quality and really tasty. I recommend you visit :-)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank bluekakariki

Been to Nepenthe? Share your experiences!