“Great views- Good food”

Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Highway 1 is open both north and south to our location in Big Sur. Northbound travelers will need to use Nacimiento-Ferguson Road through Ft. Hunter Liggett Military Reservation to access Highway 1. Southbound travelers can proceed south of the Monterey Peninsula directly to our location.
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a late lunch while on our coastal road trip. Not a very large menu. As I looked around most tables ordered the ambrosia burger. Burger was good. Very nice wine list but was sold out of many of the wines sold by the glass. I'm glad the views were worth the stop!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,895)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

First off the staff was very nice and was the ONLY reason this place got a 2 instead of a 1. Like past reviews have stated YES you are paying for the view. I guess i set my hopes too high for this place, wanting my appetite to be satisfied just as my eyes were, but that did not happen. Maybe it was what we ordered ? The view is spectacular! and if you really really don't want to eat here you can just walk over to the railing and snap some photos. There is actually another restaurant (Cafe) on the far end of the parking lot which allows you to snap as many photos as well if your just passing through and not that hungry. The cafe is a seat your self style and you just walk up to the window and order...Laid back. Back to Nepenthe.

Staff:
Like i said the staff was very warm and welcoming. They let us switch tables because we were travailing with an infant and it was getting too hot outside.

View:
I can sit up here all day and just watch the clouds roll in. It's just beautiful

Food:
We were there for lunch.
Ah i saved the best for last. So my wife ordered the special which was a Cuban sandwich with a side of fries($18). I ordered the the "famous" ambrosia burger with swiss cheese ($16.50) , Half order of fries & drinks. The total was $50...which would have been fine if the food was better.
The food came out FAST!!!! which leads me to believe that the prep time is next to none. The Cuban sandwich was ok, the ambrosia burger was a burger patty...with butter leaf lettuces, a carrot, pickle and some spread...i have had better food on airplanes. Let do a math problem now.. a FULL order of fires is $8...a half order should be...your guessed right $6.50. I guess math at this elevation is different.

OH and before i forget...REFILLS are not free.

I should have gone with my gut and gotten the Cheese platter!

I feel that since they already have you staring at the view they think you're blind to see that the food is mediocre. If your passing through then its fine, but if this was a destination and you have to drive back to Monterey then you would not be happy, Pissed off is more like it.

I recommend the view and probably the Phoenix cafe down stairs. I probably will not be returning to Nepenthe..might go to Ventana or Sierra Mar next trip.

1  Thank RJAYR
Reviewed November 12, 2013

There was a wait to be seated by the staff was friendly and there were lovely spots outside to just sit with a drink while you waited. The burger was delicious but the food overall for the price was a 3/5. The view was breathtaking!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

As everyone has said, great view. But don't come here for a culinary experience. Lunch for 2 was $48 and we had one sandwich, a soup, and a small salad. Food is mediocre at best, but the view makes up for it.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

At first, decided to take public transportation to Nepenthe(On Monterey Bus system)Since the schedule was so poor, decided to drive...Glad I did..Beautiful ride from Pacific Grove. Nepenthe, foodwise was a disappointment. We waited about 1/2 hour for a outside table, and it was a beautiful sight to see, with the mountains, ocean and the lush green hillside surrounding us...Decided on their hamburger platter,big dissapointment.Very soft, sqishy hamburger and bun. Accompanying french fries, cold. But the view was wonderful, and the service was good..Understand that it (their house) originally was owned by Orson Welles, and Rita Hayworth, long ago, and they sold it to the present owner.

Been to Nepenthe? Share your experiences!