“Still a place to go, but I'm getting a little worried.....”
Review of Nepenthe

Nepenthe
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TEMPORARILY CLOSED - Nepenthe is closed until Mid-may due to road closures north and south. But we have a skeleton crew here for the duration cleaning, repainting, repairing, and preparing for the day we are back in business again
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went to Nepenthe again this year, on another Big Sur trip from UK. My wife and I have been going there for around 35 years I think. Still the timeless view, still has the Ambrosia burger and the proper roast chicken. Still a good place to eat, drink, watch the sunset if you're lucky to be there at the right time......but, on our first visit for 2 year (2 visits actually), I was disappointed to see a complete absence of the really good fish specials that I've experienced there in the past. Perhaps this is a sign of the times and of fish stock depletion, but it's disappointing just the same.

Still worth it, though.......as long as you don't want too-too modern, over-fashionable California cuisine, just a decent meal from a pretty forecastable but flexible menu.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,787)

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nepenthe came highly recommended as a must do on our way south, and everyone was right. The view was amazing, no matter where you looked, the view was spectacular. Our family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children ages 15, 13, and 9. We all enjoyed our meal once we were seated. 3 had the burger which the all loved, I had the fish and my 9'yo had some pasta. The food, drinks and service were all very good. The only down part was the wait. We waited well over an hour. It seems all the tables are for even numbered families or groups. They really were challenged to find us a table. We offered to split up to 2 parties.
We would stop here again.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I live in Carmel and I drive down the coast 25 miles to have lunch at Nepenthe.
It is always busy with lots of tourists but that is to be expected.
Food and service are always great and views are spectacular !

Reviewed November 21, 2012

a regular stop for 30 years now. views from the deck still inspire. food is average but who cares. the institution remains.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We ate here twice in 24 hours...the food was incredible, the view is breathtaking, the servers and hosts are awesome. I want to live here.

*Get the garlic and goat cheese toast situation (says it's an appetizer, but it's humungous)