“One of my favorite places on earth”
Review of Nepenthe

Nepenthe
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: TEMPORARILY CLOSED - Nepenthe is closed until Mid-may due to road closures north and south. But we have a skeleton crew here for the duration cleaning, repainting, repairing, and preparing for the day we are back in business again
Buenos Aires
“One of my favorite places on earth”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I do not know any other restaurant in the nearby. I just know, driving from LA towards San Francisco, getting to Nepenthe at sunset after all that dizzy beauty of the road is the ultimate treat. I cannot say the view is the best, since route number 1 is one of the most stunning roads ever, I mean, if you could stop every time you felt like it, you'd be able to make an artistic sea view atlas by the end of the road. The sun sets on the Pacific, you grab a glass of wine and your sun glasses, go to where the terrace ends and see the colours feast framed by the trees while you wait for your table. Then the employees are all generally happy and joyful while efficient (they see that every day) and the food the last time was delicious: recent addition to the menu, grilled tuna with green noodles and red slightly hot sauce. Sounds like too much but it's not. It's perfect. Go to Nepenthe.

• Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Orcutt, California
“This restaurant was the perfect ending to the day.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant has amazing views. Offers inside or outside seating. The food was very good and so was the service. Love the ambiance at night. Will stop there everytime I take that route.

San Jose, California
“Great view”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This place did live up to their reputation. The drive down is gorgeous and the views at Nepenthe are great. I was really surprised that they had a 5 page wind list but only 8 by the glass. Sorry but we cannot enjoy a bottle when we have to drive the 1 back!! The menu is pretty limited but all 4 of us thought our meals tasted great. We had this male server that was great and looked like a Greek god himself! We will definitely come again. It's worth the destination drive for this view and tasty food.

New York City, New York
“One of my favorite restaurants in the world”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Love this place and go to it every time I'm in Big Sur for lunch or dinner. Great atmosphere and decor, stunning views of the ocean, really good food not too expensive, and great gift shop. Be aware you can often just grab a seat on the left, right as you come in along the bar, with a great view without having to wait - not everyone realizes this. My favorite is the ambrosia-burger.

• Visited August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Good spot to watch the sunset!”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I read a lot of reviews about this place, so we had to stop and check it out while we were traveling through the Big Sur. We had a few glasses of wine on the outdoor patio while we watched the sunset and the view was great! The outdoor music was a nice touch. We also liked that the wine selection included half bottles and that you could find some reasonable wines on the list. The atmosphere of the restaurant was cozy, and not stuffy as I had imagined it would be, so that was a nice surprise. We would consider checking out the food next time since it did smell good! The parking lot was a bit hectic, but that's to be expected as such a popular spot!

• Visited October 2012

Been to Nepenthe? Share your experiences!