“Cute rustic atmosphere but less than average service and fod”
Review of Fernwood Grill

Fernwood Grill
Ranked #17 of 22 Restaurants in Big Sur
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Alberta
“Cute rustic atmosphere but less than average service and fod”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My mom, sister and I ate at the Redwood Grill while visiting Big Sur. The atmosphere inside is very cozy and suiting to Big Sur and with a big fireplace and dark wood walls and ceiling.
The service was not great. The waitress did not even acknowledge us for quite awhile when we sat down and then took a very long time bringing us menus and water and then even longer taking our order and bringing us our food. She just seemed to hate her job.
All three of us are not fussy eaters at all are usually happy with most meals, but we ordered the pulled pork, fish tacos and a pasta dish and the food really lacked flavor. I don't think any of us finished our meals. There are other restaurants with comparable prices that we found better in Big Sur.
As a side note, the pizza that the table next to us ordered looked delicious and would be worth a try maybe.
Overall we were unimpressed with the service and would not eat here again

Visited June 2013

“Enjoyed eating there very much”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stopped here while on vacation and we were not disappointed. I had the Caesar salad with smoked chicken and my husband had a veggie wrap. Both were delicious and different from the status quo. No complaints and we would definitely go back if we are in the area again.

• Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“A Fine Dinner”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Considering the lack of options in Big Sur we were pleasantly surprised by the quality, service, and cost of the meal here. We enjoyed everything we ordered and were pleased we decided to eat out here.

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I stumbled across this place after having run away from Nepenthe's steep prices (just to give you an example: at Nepenthe the least expensive item is a basket of fries for $8.00 + taxes... ok you pay for the location and the awesome view, but come on!). Ok, so after having said "no thanks" to Nepenthe, we decided to continue our drive up north (we drove northbound along the scenic Hwy 1) and our Garmin showed this Redwood Grill. When we parked outside the place I was thinking: "oh boy, this looks like a dump", but we were hungry and cranky so we decided to sit and get something to eat anyway. There was a family of 5 sitting next to our table that recommended us to get the nachos, "but get the half size, because the portion is HUGE!". They showed us the regular size they had got and truly, it was humongous, fit to feed the whole family of 5. So we got half chicken cheese nachos, and boy, I think they were the best nachos we had eaten in a looooong time. I was pleasantly surprised that they were that good. I peeked around the other tables and some had ordered a pretty good looking pizza. The price of our nachos was about $ 9.00, which, compared to the scrawny fries basket at Nepenthe, was great price. And we were full. And happy.
So I would really recommend this place, first for the reasonable prices compared to the other restaurants in the area, and secondly for the pretty good sized portions you get.

• Visited January 2013
Glenelg, Australia
“Nachos as big as your head.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way through and we were impressed with the food.

It doesn't claim to be a romantic spot. It is a pub type grill which is known for its meats.

My husband ordered a half size of nachos and it was HUGE... he loved them, especially the shredded pork.

I got a chicken salad and it was very good. Nice pieces of meat and a strong and filing salad.

The service was good but it was not busy.

• Visited January 2013