Riverside Campground and Cabins
Big Sur Lodge(Big Sur)
$969
$369
  • Pool
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$492
$395
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$414
$400
Orbitz.com
$429
$225
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$182
$145
$179
$150
Official Site
Coachman's Inn, A Four Sisters Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$215
$199
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewscamp storefire pitthe riverzig zagone nightcamp groundcomfortable cabinpfeiffer state parkan adventureroad tripmcway fallscalifornia coastbig sur campgroundstayed longerpamcampingtent
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed two nights here recently. It's a very nice location, but VERY expensive and ridiculously cramped between sites. We got a tent site and there is essentially no separation between neighbors anywhere on the property. Might as well be a group site. For $50/night (our dog cost an extra $10), a little privacy isn't out of the question. Most remarkable though, is after ponying up $50 to sleep in the dirt 10 feet from people you don't know, you go over to the shower and they want 25 cents for a 3 minute shower. That brings nickel-and-diming to a new level of greed and if I owned this place I'd be embarrassed. Luckily we brought our own wood, because the price of theirs is outrageous. That said, everyone who works here is super nice and the location is superb, but there are other super spots in Big Sur and we'll stay somewhere else next time. 5 stars for the location, 2 stars for pretty much everything else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dolworth
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My Wife and I tent camped here for one night during the Memorial Weekend (May 27) in 2013. We loved it here. There are tent sites right on the river and there was a layer of wood chips everywhere to keep you relatively clean. They've made an attempt at shrubbery between the individual and closely-spaced campsites which is helpful. There is fire wood for sale. It is $13 per bundle - the most we've ever seen anywhere on the California coast :(
The bathrooms were wonderful and very clean. Pam, the attendant there was a real sweetheart. Sites are either $45 or $50 depending on if you want to hear the gurgling of the river. THey do have a senior discount and the Good Sam Club member discount.
We highly recommend this place and would give five stars if the sites were spaced further apart.

Room Tip: bring your own firewood.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChrisandJess2006
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed for one night in my RV on nearly full hookup. The older lady in the office (forgot to get her name) was extremely friendly and helpful which was a plus. Entrance is down a narrow incline and then you have to cross a low concrete bridge across the water with no barriers either side - I can imagine this could be challenging in an RV if you arrive after dark. Wifi reception (which was included in my cost) was very good and fairly fast. My site was by the river although technically there was a tent camped in front of me so I could easily have parked away from the river for 5 bucks less. Also an adaptor plug was needed for the electric hookup which I didn't have - fortunately the office had one they could lend me. I walked the length of the camping grounds and the site seems fairly small. Families and kids there seemed to enjoy the rustic atmosphere and the stream. It was pleasant to hear the stream from my site anyway. One one real gripe is the fact that you have to pay for showers - a quarter for 3 minutes. I decided to skip the shower as they didn't really look that nice - some updating there would be a good idea. Maybe the cabins are better, but from an RV camping experience this did the job and was ok for a one night stopover.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank saxajojo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Riverside is PERFECT for families traveling together. There are not many places in Big Sur to accommodate family units at a moderate expense, only staying one night, private accommodations and NOT camping. I was so happy to find this cluster of cabins and camping sites, right on the river with perfect sized cabins, basic cooking needs, private bathrooms (with the right cabin choice) and wonderful scenery. Our 5 yr old spent forever just tossing river rocks into the fully flowing creek/river bed.

Pam is AMAZING with her outgoing personality, helpfulness and accommodation to tired travelers who are trying to be self-sufficient. She called us a couple of days before to warn us about travel issues on the 1 further north. She always emailed in a timely manner when I had questions about planning our stay. You can buy firewood in the office and other small sundries, use the firepit to cook hotdogs or grill. We hit the little grocery "Cookie Crock" in Cambria on the way into Big Sur from the south for our market supplies. No microwave, but the coffee maker is perfect for that evening cup of Joe while you watch the moon rise over the trees.

We stayed in Cabin 2, the parents in Cabin 1. Cabin 2 is bigger, not as rustic, kind of unfinished... but it's perfect. The heating works well, the bathroom is modern and clean. The beds were a little firm for me, but still comfortable. No mirror above the sink which is a little weird, but you get past it. Who cares about makeup out in the woods anyway? Cabin 1 was cute and cozy. Perfect for 2. If we come back to this area, we will definitely make this our stop. I wish we had had more time to explore the woods.

Check out the artwork tiles by local artist Claudia Sanchez for sale in the office. Animal and art lovers alike will find treasures in her tiles that make affordable and unique souvenir offerings. My recipients have all loved theirs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Libguppy
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Given the prices you find in the area, I thought that Cabin #3 was a great deal. The room was comfortable but had a cool rustic feel. The location was super convenient to some really great restaurants, hiking and beaches. And best of all, Pam gave us such great information on where to go. She helped us find one good dinner at a reasonable price, one really great dinner when we wanted to go fancier and when we asked where we should watch the sun set, she gave us detailed directions to Pfeiffer Beach where we saw the most amazing sunset. Plus, she let us use a fire pit by the river since no one was camping there and when we couldn't get the fire lit, she came over and spent a good ten minutes to get us going without us even having to ask. Not sure if folks were expecting total silence in back woods, but I was glad to have a convenient location at a reasonable price. I definitely didn't experience any noise that bothered me in the room. This was the perfect base for seeing Big Sur!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple