Riverside Campground and Cabins
$1,300
$1,525
SmithHotels.com
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
$385
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$520
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
All reviewscamp storefire pitthe riverzig zagone nightcamp groundcomfortable cabinpfeiffer state parkan adventureroad tripmcway fallscalifornia coastbig sur campgroundstayed longerpamcampingtent
Reviewed September 4, 2007

They boast a AAA rating yet offer no discount. Expensive RV site ($50) and no internet. The spots were very close together and very difficult to get into with a 32" 5th wheel. The "river" is more of a creek, but still fun to play in! That being said, our kids (9 and 14) did have a good time playing with the other kids, and that was very important. We just feel that we can get a better deal and have just as much fun somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Marlena B
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We have been visiting this campground annually for 15 years with 5 other families. For some of us this is the only time we see each other and we all look forward to a long weekend in Big Sur at the Riverside Campgrounds. The main reasons we choose this property are 1) you can reserve specific sites - important so we can all camp together since we arrive from various regions of CA. 2) direct access to the river. We camp on the river and the kids, who are now young adults/teens, can take tubes down the river with ease. The campsites have gotten smaller and more numerous as this campground has changed hands. It is NOT remote camping! If we weren't surrounded by camping friends we would not choose this place. the bathrooms have not been great lately in terms of upkeep either, but this changes year to year. All in all we like it because of the fact we can all camp near each other and we make reservations upon leaving for the following summer.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mebber
Reviewed August 2, 2006

Okay, so when I first booked a cabin at the Riverside Campground and Cabins I was a little bit upset that our cabin would cost $150 per night, plus tax, plus $15 a night for my 5 lb Pomeranian. Of course we had to get the most expensive cabin because we booked two days before our trip and it was the only one left. When I actually got there I was a little bit upset because I expected more out of a cabin that was the price of a hotel room. And the worst part, our expensive cabin lacked a firepit! What's camping without a firepit! But after a two-night stay I really grew to love the campgrounds, cabin, and of course the beautiful scenery and ambience of the Big Sur forest and coastline.

The front office guy was very helpful and allowed us to use a vacant campsite's firepit for the two nights. Oh, if you get a cabin and you really want your own firepit, don't stay in cabins 10 or 11 because they are the only two without one, and ironically the most expensive ones. We could've moved to cabin 9 which had a firepit and was cheaper, but had no private bathroom or shower!

I don't have the usual complaints of other campers at this site such as crowds, loud people, and kids because we had the luxury of our own cabin, deck, bathroom, shower, and kitchen. That's what we paid the big bucks for! The cabin was clean and quaint. The water pressure and hot shower was welcomed in the cold Big Sur morning. So all in all it was a good trip. I was looking to go camping but not to rough it. So a cabin in the woods was perfect!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Enrilynne
Reviewed August 26, 2005

Holy Moly! No room to yourself. It took my wife all of 30 seconds to comment on how this was,'not what she expected'. Campground was packed and we were there on a weekday. We have a 6yr old who loved all the other kids running around, but I had enough of the drinking and RV motors. This is not for campers who like to rough if. There is water, electric, picnic tables, and firerings and everysite. And every site is right next to each other. This will suit anyone who wants to be outdoors but still wants to shower daily and feel safe and secure. Only wild life around were the screaming kids (having fun of course), a few bats at dusk, dogs galore-from the other campers-supposed to be on a leash at all times and never are. The one next to us snapped at my daughter, and one curious racoon. Big Sur campground boasting 3 times the sites had better, bigger trees but same atmosphere. I would recommend this to anyone traveling with kids and you don't care what they do. River is more of a creek and rarely over 18inches deep. General store 1/4 mi. up the street, firewood on site for $7. The cabins seemed nice for about $75/night. Get gas before you hit the mountains...$4 per gallon!!

• Stayed: August 2005
12  Thank bhittle
A TripAdvisor Member
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Boy do they cram in folks at the Riverside Campgrounds & Cabins. My friend and I paid $79/night for the cabin atop which a family rented the other cabin and let their kids stomp around all night. Nary twenty feet from our front door was a campsite with a family lighting their fire, cooking their meal, etc. Noise until 10 - mostly from kids running around and shouting (exhilirating in their wilderness).

This was not a get-away from it all in Big Sur - the Riverside allows too many people in. Their bathrooms are .25 cents per shower and the faucet hung limp so I couldn't adjust the temp - scalding to freezing - but not remaining warm.

Perhaps I need to up my dollar spending in order to find the peace and quiet I'm looking for in Big Sur.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member