“a big sur "for sure" surprise”

Big Sur Bakery & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Big Sur
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
dallas, tx
“a big sur "for sure" surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great scones - walnut and chocolate and ginger scones were as good as any at any bakery; the cinammon bloom pastry was amazing and addictive; cappucinno and lattes were very good; dinner pizza was a big surprise - pancetta, sweet potato, goat cheese - very nice, special salad had pomegranate seed salad dresssing with candied walnuts, goat cheese, mache greens, and a hot apple fritter on top.....amazing, we went here for breakfast 3 straight mornings

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. John's, Canada
“Best donuts of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Had the pumpkin vanilla donut and it made the trip a little more awesome. Coffee was good as well. Any of the baked goods were fresh, whole heartedly say you should stop and pick something up there

Toronto, Canada
“Funky little place with a great brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The restaurant is right off highway 1 so its location is nothing much but it is a fun little restaurant with excellent food. We went for lunch and it was very busy. Everyone was obviously enjoying themselves and the food. if you love great food and don't mind missing the great views of Big Sur then it should not be missed!

Las Vegas, Nevada
“A Nice Place to Stop in Big Sur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I'd never been to Big Sur so I had no idea that it's not all that big. The Big Sur Bakery is off Highway 1, surrounded by forest. The place is rather small but quaint and they offer pasteries and coffee drinks in the morning and then lunch after 11 am. We were there in the morning and we both had latties and I had a chocolate crossaint and my partner had a bran muffin. Both were fresh and tasty and the latties were very good. The bill was $18 which is about average for the area. We ate outside and it was a nice pitstop on our drive but not a destination in itself.

Portland, Oregon
“Expectations too high”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

First I have to say that this is a really beautiful little spot. The service was a little ambivalent, I felt like I was more of an annoyance than a customer. My wife tells me that I'm very good at chatting people up and pretty much able to get a smile out of the grumpiest of the grumpy, but I couldn't get a bead on any of these peeps. Anyway, we read all the reviews and thought we should check it out, so I have to say our expectations were high from all the good reviews. We had a few pastries and a latte. I think to be fair, we were there at 4:00 in the afternoon, so the pastries were not up to snuff or as fresh as they would have been at 10:00 in the morning, so I wasn't that impressed. The latte was good, but super strong, almost felt like five shots of espresso, which was okay because I had to drive a long ways down the coast in the dark following people who don't know that you should have your lights on when the sun sets. But I also live in Oregon, so I'm pretty familiar with Starbucks and a lot of other coffee roasters. Bottom line, I think it's hard for this place to live up to the hype, but there isn't a lot going on food-wise in this area, so I believe that's why it gets the high reviews. I personally think it's an average place with the benefit of a wonderful location in Big Sur.

• Visited October 2012