“Big Sur-prise Getaway”
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“Big Sur-prise Getaway”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Treebones Resort is nestled in the cliffs along the bluffs of Big Sur.
I was absolutely surprised by the uniqueness of the entire experience. The yurts were like new,and I was amazed at how big they felt. At night, my husband and I would watch the stars from the skylight and during the day, we enjoyed the panoramic view of the ocean. The happy hour sunsets followed by a jacuzzi before dinner made for a perfect evening. The food was good and the beer and wine selection were an excellent extra. The staff were friendly and met all of our needs. I would highly recommend this vacation spot to anyone who wants an experience to remember. Thank you Treebones Resort!

1 Thank California65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
North Hollywood, Ca
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We had such a lovely time at Treebones. It was a wonderful experience, the yurts were great, the place was clean and beautiful and the staff was friendly and helpful. We had every kind of weather in our 3 days and 2 nights. The morning would be clear and bright, but as the sun came up over the mountains the fog would roll over with it. It rained a little in the middle of the night, waking us just enough to listen to the rain falling on the yurt while we were warm inside.
We had fun with the waffle breakfast and we wish that we could have had a dinner at the lodge, but our timing and travel didn't allow it - so, next time! We were in yurt 4 with a partial ocean view. Being inside the yurt feels like being in a treehouse somehow. Some of the yurts are very close to one another and sound really travels there; we were not bothered by any of it, but we were careful to be quiet. The ladies room was clean with curtains and/or stall doors allowing privacy, but I hear that the men's room did not allow for any privacy. Overall, we are definitely planning to come again.

• Liked — unique
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kmbo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2007

I'm almost afraid to tell you how great this place is in case it books out for the next ten year and I'll won't be able to stay here again.

It is truly magical..............

When you have experience the warm welcome, watched the sunset from the lodge, star gazed under patchwork quilts on your deck, light a fire in your stove and woken up in your heavenly bed to the sound of silence you will truly understand why no words can ever describe how magical the experience is and why you will always want to return.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Queen_of_the_hw
Upland, California
Reviewed April 9, 2007

I will say this is the most serene place we have been in Calif. Everything about our stay here gets a 5 star rating!! The Yurt, the surroundings, the staff, Bisquit the lodges mascot, the food....need I go on.
Beautiful sights from the front deck of the Yurt, nature sounds like none other in the early morning. It was just a wonderful find and we will return.
Everyone should experience staying at Treebones in a Yurt. You will love the gorgeous sunsets, the warm and comfortable beds, the great dinners, and fun and tasty do it yourself waffle breakfasts!!! Cant wait to go back!!!

Bay area, CA
Reviewed April 7, 2007

If you go to their website and you read all of the reviews, you'll be disappointed when you actually get there.

Yes, the yurts are an interesting departure from the normal type of getaway experience. We got the biggest yurt - #13, and it was indeed very spacious and beautifully decorated with a stove fireplace. We went during whale migration season, so that was a special treat as we could sort of see them from our deck.

However, I found the staff to be friendly but clueless. We sat around and waited a lot, let's put it that way. The general store was hardly "general". It's better to go down the highway over to the neighboring town of Gorda to get sundries and supplies.

The yurts themselves have no bathrooms and the public bathrooms are two flights of stairs away which, in the middle of the night, gets to be downright annoying.

They say they serve breakfast and if you like waffles everyday, then they are it.

For $250/night, it's a "steal" for big sur, but compared against other B&B's in other vacation areas of California, it is well overpriced.

• Liked — scene from the balcony
  • Disliked — bathroom too far away
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank fudy
Pacific NW
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I found my stay here mostly frustrating. There was a big descrepency between the hype and the reality. I hardly experienced the peace and quiet of Big Sur except in early morning. As others have mentioned, there is a big difference in the quality of stay based on placement of yurt. I got stuck in #14 which is right next to the pool and hot tub. The owner's house is close too. Sound travels very well and I heard all conversations outside clearly. I was told there were not any other yurts available and could not move The yurt itself was very comfortable and would be enjoyable in a more private setting.

I would not recommend unless you are traveling with children and don't mind the noise, otherwise choose your yurt placement very carefully.

The food is very good and expensive consist with Big Sur.

• Liked — The setting of Big Sur, the yurt.
  • Disliked — The noise and lack of privacy
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank Charde
Surrey, UK
Reviewed March 24, 2007

A fantastic, memorable stay. I won't repeat everything about the view etc. because you can read it in other reviews - this place is worth a visit and the staff are good.

One strange thing: My wife told me that the women's shower cubicles each have a shower curtain and then a secondary curtain so that you have a private, enclosed, area in which to dress.
The mens' showers... only one of three cubicles has a shower curtain! and then there are two large curtains to enclose a shared secondary dressing area which is not partitioned - so... unless you have the boys' locker room - whipping each other with towels - mentality... or have been to prison recently and liked it... the shower experience for men is BIZARRE. Why don't they put up individual shower curtains for all of the cubicles? and partition the dressing area?

I'm guessing I'm not the only guy who doesn't go on holiday to see other men naked. My advice - do visit, but guys might want to get up early and try to make it to the showers first...

• Liked — The sheer uniqueness of it.
  • Disliked — Shower arrangements.
Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in El Portal
Two Harbors Campground
Two Harbors Campground
#1 of 1 in Two Harbors

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!