“Awesome Customer Service!”
Review of Treebones Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Treebones Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
GreenLeadersGold level
Menlo Park, California
“Awesome Customer Service!”
Reviewed September 5, 2006

The staff at this resort is awesome!! They are so nice and are all completely committed to the guests having a wonderful time. They are the best and the most friendly and caring staff I have ever experienced at any hotel worldwide.

We had a problem there in that there was this super noisy and rude large family group, both staying in the yurt next to ours, and taking over the lodge as if it were their own.

The staff went way above and beyond the call of duty to make us happy, including upgrading us to a yurt with a better view one night, and then putting us up in the Birdhouse another night. To do this, they had to completely empty out the Birdhouse, clean it from top to bottom, set it up for guests, and then use their own brand new airbed to make a bed for us. This was after setting up and taking down the other yurt for us. They even let us keep our stuff in the first yurt until the awful family left, and they really advocated on behalf of all the guests to get that family to shut up!

The facility is great, the location beautiful, the food excellent, and I love the yurts, but honestly, this fabulous staff made my stay. They are wonderful and because of them, I really, really recommend this place.

Also, the owner and his charming kids are now living on-site, and they are all sweethearts.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Sharing a bathroom that was not always perfectly clean
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a fleece; it can get foggy
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
London, UK
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I am loathe to praise Treebones too much because everyone will want to go there....but it is fantastic. Yes you have to use shared loos and showers, but they are classy and clean. We had a family sized yurt (number 13) which faced the ocean directly ,and the views were breathtaking, at night and in the morning - fortunately no fog the day we were there. Food on site is quite limited in terms of choice, but tasty, and if you are from the UK, pretty good value.

The yurts themselves are beautifully done - lovely beds and warm covers. Chairs to sit by the fire if you want. There is quitet time after 9 which was welcome, as the key point about Treebones is the tranquiliy of the place. Breakfast waffling was fun and generally the staff were really friendly and helpful.

We wished we had booked for more than one night as this was the best place we stayed in during 2 weeks in California. Yes, it is relatively expensive (we paid $250 for the night) but is is a fab place.

• Liked — It is different - a yurt is much better than a tent and more intresting than a hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — We drove straight past - look very carefully for the small sign at the roadside
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank callmedave
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Absolutely loved it. We stayed here for two nights during the second week of August and were fortunate enough to arrive on a beautiful, sunny day without a hint of fog. We had yurt #11, which is listed as "partial ocean view", but we had a terrific ocean view from our deck.

The dinners smelled wonderful, but we didn't partake in the dinners at the resort (my girlfriend is a vegetarian, so we ended up driving up the coast to a restaurant that had ample vegetarian fare). If you don't want to eat at Treebones, we highly recommend eating at the Bakery, about 40 minutes north of Treebones.

As for the bathrooms/showers, they are very conveniently located and are very well maintained (much more like a high scale gym locker than a camping site's bathroom/shower area).

The staff was wonderful and very helpful with many suggestions (i.e. where to eat, where to go hiking, horseback riding, etc.)

I would definitely recommend this place, but hopefully there won't be too many people who discover Treebones because that will make it harder for us to stay there in the future, which we will definitely be doing again soon.

• Liked — The views (and the staff)
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay more than one night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OC_traveller
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed August 13, 2006

I loved the Treebones Resort. This was the closest I could get my teenage daughter to a camping experience. We had Yurk #9 and the staff all told me it was one of their favorites - I'd have to agree. We were fortunate to have beautiful blue skies which was rare the 10 days we spent on the central coast. We only spent 1 night - I wish we could have stayed longer. Dinner was good - the pool/hot tub was great - gift shop was great - bathrooms were clean and close - the beds were very comfortable and I'm picky about beds. Great staff. I highly recommend Treebones, visit the area beaches especially the Julia Pfeiffer Burns Beach (bring a chair, picnic, and great book).

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — no private bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — get an oceanview yurt
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank fun-on-wheels
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Firstly, I nearly gave this place 3 out of 5 stars, but then thought that maybe it's me that has the odd issue with Treebones, rather than the place itself having any significant problems.

To give you a little background, I'm more of a hotel person than a camping person, so damp mornings, shared showers and the odd spider in the room is not top of my list. Given that I experienced all of the above in Treebones, this might have taken away from the fact that the Yurts are of a pretty good size, with a very comfortable bed, there's a good, clean sink, and an excellent gas fireplace (which could elimate the damp morning issue I guess!). So actually it's a pretty good experience if you can put up with the very small issues I've mentioned.

The other bits worth mentioning:
*Apparently, It's often foggy in the summer months. It was when we stayed, which meant that the extra money spent on a seaview was a waste. Not the fault of Treebones, but a shame none-the-less. If it's not foggy, I'm sure the views are great, although I wasn't expecting Highway 1 road to be between the ocean and the Yurts, which takes some of the 'isolation' away from the experience.
*The food is a tad expensive for what it is, it's OK, but nothing more.
*Staff are great, very friendly.
*The lobby / lounge / restaurant area is a great place to spend a few hours. They have many board games, and now sell cold beers and wine.
*Maybe it's me, but the place feels like it needs a little bit of a clean up....the dust had settled on out clear rooftop dome, the edges of the inside of the Yurt were a little bit dirty...OK, I'm probably being picky now, so I'll stop!!

I admit it, I'm a Holiday Inn / Marriott person. If you're not a hotel loving loser like me, you'll love Treebones!!!

• Liked — Yurts interesting experience
  • Disliked — dusty
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Toberlerone
Upstate NY
Reviewed July 28, 2006

We stayed at Treebones for two nights in early July 2006. The setting was fantastic. From our full ocean view yurt we could see the sun set over the Pacific and listen to sea lions barking . The skylight in the yurt allowed us to view countless stars in the evening. The location of the complex is certainly secluded. There is no real town anywhere nearby.

The yurt itself was beautifully decorated and larger than our room at the Hilton in Union Square, SF. The gas fireplace made for a cozy, romantic environment. The bed was quite comfortable.

Staff at Treebones were always courteous and helpful. They allowed us to print the boarding passes for our next day's flight from the front desk computer; a small gesture but one that many travelers, including us, certainly appreciate. Staff members were quick to recommend various parks, hikes, trails, and beaches in the area running the gamut from hardcore climbing to sauntering strolls.

The out-of-the-way location of Treebones proved to be a double-edged sword when it came to food. There is a restaurant on-site but it was a bit overpriced. Make-your-own waffles are available for breakfast. This makes for an excellent opportunity to meet your fellow yurt-dwellers - and eat a big, hearty meal. This proved important as there are no grocery stores within an hour's drive. There are some small convenience stores within driving distance but they too are pricey. Next time we'll likely bring a cooler and stop at a grocery store in the Monterey area.

If you are going to Treebones I would recommend spending the extra money for a full-ocean view yurt. These provide more privacy than the partial-ocean view and mountain-view yurts which are placed in very close proximity to one another. View the map at the Treebones website to see what I mean.

All in all, our Treebones experience was wonderful. If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this is it.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank kirby3b
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at Treebones for 2 nights as we traveled California for our honeymoon. I cannot say enough great things about this place. Not only is it such a unique, beautiful, romantic setting, but the staff was soooooo welcoming and nice! We had an amazing view (we stayed in Yurt #9). Breakfast each morning was also great. You can make your own waffles and they provide fruit, juice, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. It was one of our favorite spots to stay!

A must for anyone traveling Route 1!!!

• Liked — Accomodations and view
  • Disliked — little to do in the area
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur
Ragged Point Inn and Resort

Been to Treebones Resort? Share your experiences!